Antidepressants - Motives Behind The Push

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey
so you disagree that pills should at least be used in conjunction with therapy/regular visits to a doctor?

so you believe they should be used without supervision of a doctor?

wow, a rather unwise stance but ok, its a free world.

how do you think people get prescriptions in the first place? from a doctor. up until the post I've quoted now, you've said nothing about doctors. you're just beating your therapy drum over and over. and no, I don't think therapy is necessary in all cases. a visit to a psychiatrist is. as anyone who's been throught the mental health system knows, seeing a psychatrist is not therapy. psychiatrists just evaluate symptoms and monitor drugs. therapists do nothing to evaluate drugs. if you tell them anything about your drugs, they'll refer you to your psychiatrist because drugs are not their field.

this is stuff that is second nature to anyone that's been through the mental health system. I don't believe you have any clue what it's like and what is involved. and stop being so combative. what is wrong with you?

[Edited on 10/27/2003 by MorningtonCrescent]

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 09:26 PM
link   
There problem is in an average internal medicine doctor prescribing anti-depressants to a patient without a proper diagnosis from a mental health professional. Theorpy can work for some--all these folk on these drugs aren't suffering from untreatable illness--and if they are how would they even know they haven't even seen someone qualified to make that determination. Many of the women I work with are taking everything for Zoloft to Prozac just cause they went to the doctor and told him they were depressed. It takes more than a check list of symptoms to come up with a proper diagnosis.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Hey ThePrankMonkey or should I say Insane Clown Possee Wannabee Poser.... stop bashing MC... you probably have no clue how deep and serious depression and bi-polar disorder can go.

Have you ever been in a psych ward??

Have you ever attempted suicide???

[Edited on 10-27-2003 by CPYKOmega]

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by MorningtonCrescent

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey
so you disagree that pills should at least be used in conjunction with therapy/regular visits to a doctor?

so you believe they should be used without supervision of a doctor?

wow, a rather unwise stance but ok, its a free world.

how do you think people get prescriptions in the first place? from a doctor. up until the post I've quoted now, you've said nothing about doctors. you're just beating your therapy drum over and over. and no, I don't think therapy is necessary in all cases. a visit to a psychiatrist is. as anyone who's been throught the mental health system knows, seeing a psychatrist is not therapy. psychiatrists just evaluate symptoms and monitor drugs. therapists do nothing to evaluate drugs. if you tell them anything about your drugs, they'll refer you to your psychiatrist because drugs are not their field.

this is stuff that is second nature to anyone that's been through the mental health system. I don't believe you have any clue what it's like and what is involved. and stop being so combative. what is wrong with you?

[Edited on 10/27/2003 by MorningtonCrescent]

what do you think a psychiatrist is??? a D O C T O R

apparently i have to explain every little thing for you in order for you to understand this.

regular doctors dont know how to regulate psych medicines as they dont have the specific knowledge for treating psychological problems, mostly PHYSICAL problems. thats where a psychologist comes in with regular visits to monitor his patients progress or lack thereof, make a record of it and try to find new ways to treat them in the future. you cant and shouldnt just hand out pills and then do once a year visits, its dangerous and doesnt help the patient anywhere near as much as regular visits would. a more detailed history will give any doctor a better chance of prescribing something that will help more than simply saying "ok well they have these symptons, here is a prescription for (insert drug here) see you next year!"

who did you think i was refering to when i said therapy? bill gates? therapy/doctors, again i wasnt aware i had to explain this to you.

Originally posted by CPYKOmega
Hey ThePrankMonkey or should I say Insane Clown Possee Wannabee Poser.... stop bashing MC... you probably have no clue how deep and serious depression and bi-polar disorder can go.

Have you ever been in a psych ward??

Have you ever attempted suicide???

[Edited on 10-27-2003 by CPYKOmega]

well....i've ONLY been diagnosed as being manic depressive....so i just MIGHT have a little personal insight on this.

go pound sand

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Here's another article...
Doctors continue antidepressant prescriptions despite warning
Last Updated Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:14:07
HALIFAX - Last summer's warnings of the dangerous side effects of certain antidepressants on teenagers haven't stopped Canadian doctors from prescribing them.

Health Canada warned in July that Paxil and Effexor should not be prescribed to anyone under 18 years of age because they may increase the risk of suicidal thoughts.

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I think that the major point has been missed in this thread and that is why depression?

Until you address that you have accomplished nothing.

There are reasons for chemical imbalances that go beyond chemistry or physics.

We have discussed them before here.

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I read an article on war correspondent Sebastian Junger and his co-worker/friend being trapped somewhere in Bosnia during the war and junger's friend ran out of his zoloft. He went into the most horrific downward spiral because not only was he horribly depressed, but by then he was terribly addicted to the drug. seems to me it'd be better off to just be depressed and NOT hooked on something like a junkie. I know that there are people who do have serious chemical imbalances, but far too many people simply seek to medicate instead of trying to root out the problems and deal with them. They take the easy way out instead of gritting their teeth and bearing it for a while.

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cynic
Anyone who has not been in the black hole of depression is NOT entitled to rave on about the effects of drugs vs. the condition.

I was an undiagnosed manic-depressive for over 20 years. I know well the terrible effects that this disease can have on one's social and economic life.

While it is true that many anti-depressants can have addictive and unmwanted side effects, the benefits they give is truly remarkable.

Lithium saved my life, and my family. To all those posting the "bad" drug story...If you haven't walked the walk, then piss off!

Yep you and all the other guys that have gone through this are the only ones with the right to comment. Anyone else would never know what the drugs do, and how they help.

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 09:13 AM
link   
This may sound parinoid, but I don't go to the Doctor, or take any drugs of any sort. Sometimes I think I need them, but then the parinoid part of me kicks in and says What if. Just wanted to give my 2 cents.

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by glan
This may sound parinoid, but I don't go to the Doctor, or take any drugs of any sort. Sometimes I think I need them, but then the parinoid part of me kicks in and says What if. Just wanted to give my 2 cents.

Go roll ya-self a nice, big spleef, mon. You'll be Iree.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join