It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antidepressants - Motives Behind The Push

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 05:02 PM
link   
The reason why there is a push for them is they can sell them to so many people. I personally do not think taking a pill is going to make me happy, but if you believe taking a pill the Dr. gives you then it probaly will.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by MorningtonCrescent
you know what? antidepressants saved my life. I attempted suicide in early August. don't mistake it with some sort of cry for help; I wanted to die. I was hospitalized, underwent intensive therapy (still am), and found a combination of antidepressants and mood stabilizers that began to work. I don't feel perfect now, I really don't even feel happy. but I can get out of bed, I can go to class, I can exist again. I don't fantisize about ways to die or hurt myself anymore. this sort of depression is not a normal human condition. that's bull#. feel free to feel smug about how 'strong' you are because you don't need drugs to make your brain work correctly, but don't you dare begrudge me what is allowing me to live some semblance of a normal life.

I have been dealing with depression ever since I was 14 years old and I have taken Effexor XR during ages 16-17 then again from ages 19-present. I have had little to no side effects on my meds and they have also saved my life per say.

I have had episodes where I would not get out of bed for months at a time.. thinking about death and suicide but never thinking of harming myself with a plan.

Anti-depressents are very overly perscribed and this is because doctors give it out for a wide range of symptoms. Before asking your doctor about anti-depressants check for all the warning signs ect.
Kids under 16 should NOT take any form of anti-depressents and the long term affects have not been properly studied for the new ones as of yet.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Anyone who has not been in the black hole of depression is NOT entitled to rave on about the effects of drugs vs. the condition.

I was an undiagnosed manic-depressive for over 20 years. I know well the terrible effects that this disease can have on one's social and economic life.

While it is true that many anti-depressants can have addictive and unmwanted side effects, the benefits they give is truly remarkable.

Lithium saved my life, and my family. To all those posting the "bad" drug story...If you haven't walked the walk, then piss off!

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cynic
Anyone who has not been in the black hole of depression is NOT entitled to rave on about the effects of drugs vs. the condition.

I was an undiagnosed manic-depressive for over 20 years. I know well the terrible effects that this disease can have on one's social and economic life.

While it is true that many anti-depressants can have addictive and unmwanted side effects, the benefits they give is truly remarkable.

Lithium saved my life, and my family. To all those posting the "bad" drug story...If you haven't walked the walk, then piss off!

i've walked it. screw you.

too many doctors throws pills at their patients because of the the demand from their patients, basically its a patient turned doctor scenario. the patient "feels" they need (insert psycho drug here) and then makes demands from their doctor for it. any doctor who caves in to this sort of behavior should be stripped of their license to practice medicane as far as i'm concerned.

the problem i have too many doctors are all too willing to reach for the prescription pad while doing very little to encourage their patients to seek other forms of treatment that SHOULD and MUST be used to treat these problems if the patient it to ever have any hopes of actually controlling their problems a better way.

they (both doctors and patients) mostly rely solely on drugs as do parents as a "treatment" for their problems.

its one thing if you're on a med AND you're going to therapy/counseling sessions. but i've seen too many used just pills thinking it will cure them and it only makes them want larger doses and ruins them, doing more harm than good. its a crutch and too many doctors are letting it happen. both sides are to blame in this.

and i truly believe that such drugs should not be given to young children as many of them have not been studied in enough detail to know what the long term effects of them will be after that child grows up.

its one thing if you're an adult, quite another if you're a child and your parents make you take these pills, they arent given a choice and it is far too easy to misdiagnose a child as some behaviors are "normal" but not seen that way by the parents and is then exaggerated to the doctor hoping for drugs to zombify their child.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I totally agree with you Prankmonkey. It's important to note, alot of dr.'s get kickbacks for sellin' the companies drugs.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey

well, that was mean. by the way, there is no amount of therapy that will 'cure' manic depression. it's a chemical imbalance in the brain, it's that simple. my mom struggled in therapy for years, being told to 'try harder', while her emotional ups and downs nearly destroyed herself and the rest of our family. stuff like 'you don't need drugs, you need therapy' when it comes to manic depression is like saying to a diabetic 'you don't need insulin, you need to will your pancreas to work harder.'

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 02:59 PM
link   

well, that was mean. by the way, there is no amount of therapy that will 'cure' manic depression. it's a chemical imbalance in the brain, it's that simple. my mom struggled in therapy for years, being told to 'try harder', while her emotional ups and downs nearly destroyed herself and the rest of our family. stuff like 'you don't need drugs, you need therapy' when it comes to manic depression is like saying to a diabetic 'you don't need insulin, you need to will your pancreas to work harder.'

read my ENTIRE post again. it mentions medication AND therapy used in combination and how i think thats ok but not JUST drugs by themselves.

selective reading habits????

GET SOME THERAPY AND DRUGS FOR IT!

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 03:00 PM
link   

No need to argue, folks. No one's saying your case isn't severe. But far too many people ARE being unnecessarily medicated.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Only thing I need to help me deal with all the bull# in this world is

CANNABIS!

It's your right, decriminalize it NOW!

God put it here for us to enjoy. no?

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic

CANNABIS!

"C" senior.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic

CANNABIS!

ok i gotta agree with lysergic on this one completely. i dont agree with smoking it (bad for the lungs and throat) but there are other ways to use it.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Interesting thread.

Drug companies have successfully sold drugs to people who are sick, but that doesn't bring enough profit.

Now I read, they want people who are well to take drugs as well. So that you get into the habit of taking a drug on a daily basis to maintain your wellness, and they reap massive profits.

I think a lot of the antidepressent push is focused at that end. Sure for people who have bad episodes its a great drug, but there are many who in the past wouldn't have got it who now do.

Also in terms of therapy, research shows that the people who are going to get well, do so regardless of the type of therapy that they take, and the success of one type of therapy over another or over nothing, is little more than chance. Therapy does little good except for a few cases.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 03:25 PM
link   

read my ENTIRE post again. it mentions medication AND therapy used in combination and how i think thats ok but not JUST drugs by themselves.

why the hell are you yelling at me? if you feel the need to be obnoxious, take it somewhere else.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 03:27 PM
link   

why the hell are you yelling at me? if you feel the need to be obnoxious, take it somewhere else.

i wouldnt have to if you read THE ENTIRE POST to begin with.

i am tired of people on this board reading what they want and ignoring everything else.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 03:31 PM
link   

i am tired of people on this board reading what they want and ignoring everything else.

or you could have just said 'that's not what I meant' and gone on with your life. and for the record, therapy does very little for bipolar disorder. exactly how much more can you accomplish after 20 years in therapy? bipolar disorder (manic depression) does not have the possibility of subsiding after a time the way depression does. it's there for life. exactly how long can you go over the same stuff when the real problem is a chemical imbalance?

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 03:32 PM
link   
heh, I'll eat it, smoke it, smell it, I love it.

I do agree about smoking it, I should stop smoking as much as I do, either just start munching on nugs... as I know smoking anything is bad for me.

I wont lie, I love to smoke it, love to watch how the smokes comes out of me, so much smoke for such a human it seems.

sorry i'm starting to ramble on.

/em passes the peace pipe

[Edited on 27-10-2003 by Lysergic]

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 03:35 PM
link   

or you could have just said 'that's not what I meant' and gone on with your life. and for the record, therapy does very little for bipolar disorder. exactly how much more can you accomplish after 20 years in therapy? bipolar disorder (manic depression) does not have the possibility of subsiding after a time the way depression does. it's there for life. exactly how long can you go over the same stuff when the real problem is a chemical imbalance?

therapy is a means to ALSO keep track of a patients progress or lack thereof so the doctor can help the patient more as time goes by. its called having a medical history.

i wasnt aware i had to explain this.

of course if you had simply read my entire post to begin with we wouldnt be in this thread right now would we? nope! or do i have to tell someone to read my entire thread as if they were a child? thats why you dont assume and you assumed. next time dont skim over, READ, you might miss something important otherwise.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 04:45 PM
link   

therapy is a means to ALSO keep track of a patients progress or lack thereof so the doctor can help the patient more as time goes by. its called having a medical history.

i wasnt aware i had to explain this.

of course if you had simply read my entire post to begin with we wouldnt be in this thread right now would we? nope! or do i have to tell someone to read my entire thread as if they were a child? thats why you dont assume and you assumed. next time dont skim over, READ, you might miss something important otherwise.

have you considered this may have nothing to do with reading comprehention and everything to do with me disagreeing with you?

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 04:48 PM
link   
so you disagree that pills should at least be used in conjunction with therapy/regular visits to a doctor?

so you believe they should be used without supervision of a doctor?

wow, a rather unwise stance but ok, its a free world.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cynic

too many doctors throws pills at their patients because of the the demand from their patients, basically its a patient turned doctor scenario. the patient "feels" they need (insert psycho drug here) and then makes demands from their doctor for it. any doctor who caves in to this sort of behavior should be stripped of their license to practice medicane as far as i'm concerned.

the problem i have too many doctors are all too willing to reach for the prescription pad while doing very little to encourage their patients to seek other forms of treatment that SHOULD and MUST be used to treat these problems if the patient it to ever have any hopes of actually controlling their problems a better way.

they (both doctors and patients) mostly rely solely on drugs as do parents as a "treatment" for their problems.

its one thing if you're on a med AND you're going to therapy/counseling sessions. but i've seen too many used just pills thinking it will cure them and it only makes them want larger doses and ruins them, doing more harm than good. its a crutch and too many doctors are letting it happen. both sides are to blame in this.

and i truly believe that such drugs should not be given to young children as many of them have not been studied in enough detail to know what the long term effects of them will be after that child grows up.

its one thing if you're an adult, quite another if you're a child and your parents make you take these pills, they arent given a choice and it is far too easy to misdiagnose a child as some behaviors are "normal" but not seen that way by the parents and is then exaggerated to the doctor hoping for drugs to zombify their child.

You are obviously troubled. Get your head out of the sand, and your thumb out of your posterior. You may hide behind the so-called-logic of your post, and quantify your remarks until you're blue in the face, but my freind, you are obviously like so many others - Uninformed and a bigot.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join