It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antidepressants - Motives Behind The Push

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 11:31 AM
link   
tHIS IS A VERY SERIOUS PROBLEM THAT SHOULD CONCERN EVERYBODY. I feel there are some very sinister motives at play, doping up as many kids as they can. The CIA/mind control thing is very real. Not to mention simply profit motives in conjunction.

Antidepressants - Motives
Behind The Push
By Marjorie Tietjen
[email protected]
10-24-3

It has become increasingly obvious that there may be diabolical motives behind the intense push for antidepressant consumption. Antidepressants are immune suppressive, can cause violent tendencies, suicidal thoughts, depersonalization, complete changes in personality and depression, the very symptom this drug is supposed to alleviate.

I highly recommend a book by Ann Blake Tracy. I encourage you to read it and pass it on. The title is "Prozac, Panacea or Pandora". It is an excellent eye opener. The following is a quote from her book. " A Yale study , which was released in March 1991, indicates that one out of seven of their patients suffered intense suicidal preoccupation or intense feelings of violence. They state very clearly , that from their observations, this is not a coincidence, but a reaction directly related to Prozac. If we use their one out of seven figure, or approximately 15%, we are looking at an astounding figure of 1,350,000 patients, three quarters of a million patients experiencing the most serious of Prozac's adverse reactions - adverse reactions which affect not only the patient but all of society."
The full story: www.rense.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 11:42 AM
link   
i think its a push from drug makers so they can dope people up and make them feel as if they need these little pills to make themselves feel better.

most drugs made MASK the problems people have, they dont fix them at all. since many drugs are addictive its a great deal for the drug makers.

more and more parents are relying on drugs to curb their childrens behavior instead of acting like real parents. ive seen perfectly normal children being doped up because their oblivious parents failed to realize that being a parent isnt easy and they're looking for an easy way out of dealing with their children. ADD ADHD are becoming buzzwords and it seems almsot as if parents are hoping their children have these supposed ailments in the hopes of getting them on concerta or some other drug. BTW one of concerta's side effects is: PSYCHOTIC EPISODES!!!! (i'm serious, i looked it up) do people really want to give this and other drugs to their children simply because they cant or wont sit still??? sorry i wont run the risk of my child having a psychotic episode and let them fail at school, at least people will think they're dumb instead of homicidal.

people need to stop looking for cures in a bottle and simply accept the fact that life isnt easy, being a parent isnt easy because i really dont believe the benefits outweigh the side effects of these drugs.

its modern day snake oil, pure and simple.

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 11:52 AM
link   
im on antidepressants and this thread is making me #in paranoid and worried now.sorry but it does

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
im on antidepressants and this thread is making me #in paranoid and worried now.sorry but it does
'

dont be paranoid, just be very cautious. i had different anti depressents tried on me when i was younger and i hated every one of them. none of them worked and i felt separated from reality, high basically. ive seen this in other people close tome and they seem separated from reality as well, laughing at stuff that just isnt funny to begin with and having a general lack of concern for prettymuch anything. zoloft sucks (makes you a real space cowboy), lithium isnt much better and neither is prozac. in fact many of the medications used for supposed psychological disorders usually have side effects that can be just as bad if not worse than the problems you originally had.

i avoid as many drugs as possible except for ibuprofin when i get a headache. i still think the worse meds out there are ones used in "treating" (more like masking) psychological disorders and problems. WTF wants to take a drug that has "psychotic episodes" as a potential side effect???? not me!!

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I personally believe that ADD should stand for Additional Daddy Discipline, as one father once said. Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way advocating "beating one's kid" but a well deserved spanking never hurt anyone. Kids no longer seem to have respect/fear of authority. This is very dangerous to society.
And yes, these drugs only Frock with the mind, deadening, emotion causing new addictions and masking the problems. This only makes one worse off, more dependent. And that increases the profit margins of greedy pigs in the pharmeceutical industry. It also is causing new generations of drugged out zombie-kids who are incapable of independent thought and rational behavior. Great form of mind control. And what about the violent symptoms? Could it be some secretly cheer on these effects and violent outbursts as a way of promoting GUN CONTROL? We're talking the possibility of generations of drugged-out, uncontrollable, vicious little killers. Ever notice most of these folks (like the Columbiners) usually kill themselves off or are killed before the authorities can get to them? That's a method/tactic of Manchurian mind control. It's a travesty on every level. Personally, I don't think half the drugs they feed the sheople are necessary.
As a famus one once said: Life is short, brutish and nasty. Get off the drugs and dependence, QUIT supporting the Nazi pharmeceutical companies and roll up a nice big, natural Spliff! It's a helluva lot cheaper and you'll feel SO much better!

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
Ever notice most of these folks (like the Columbiners) usually kill themselves off or are killed before the authorities can get to them? That's a method/tactic of Manchurian mind control.

it is also a way for certain groups to cry for more gun control and more governmental intrusion in our lives. i believe the object of this is to take away all free thought, any and all freedoms, free will, parental rights, self responsiblity in the hopes we'll all become complacent little drones working 9-5's all too busy to concern ourselves with anything else relying on everyone else including relying heavily on the government to take care of the many things we once took care of ourselves.

every time a columbine happens people cry for more drugs, more government involvment, demanding THEY do something rather than expecting more from parents. the cry for more gun control and more laws that are really not needed. drugs are an integral part of this as they control your emotions and feelings, how can you feel outrage and contempt for what happens if you're a doped up zombie thats been taught to believe you cant and shouldnt think for yourself???? you cant and that makes those in charge the winners and us the continual losers.

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 09:22 AM
link   
about 2 months ago i explained to my DR that I was feeling very depressed so he put me on an anti-depressant. Lemme tell you how long I took it...... 1 day. It only took one day for me to realize that popping a pill just to "feel better" made me no better than the normal drug addict. So I stopped taking it. Plus the side effects sucked I felt like $hit all the time. So no more Anti depressants for me. And parents who put their kids on those pills should be charged with child abuse.

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 09:41 AM
link   
All I got to say is this: Self-Healing is H A R D. It's not an easy thing. Popping drugs is a sham. To heal yourself spiritually/mentally is hard and requires massive concentrated and sustained effort, over the years, at times. Why is it so hard? Cause we're dealing with life. If your depressed then you have to look at your situation and make it better. That's hard to do.

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ktprktpr
All I got to say is this: Self-Healing is H A R D. It's not an easy thing. Popping drugs is a sham. To heal yourself spiritually/mentally is hard and requires massive concentrated and sustained effort, over the years, at times. Why is it so hard? Cause we're dealing with life. If your depressed then you have to look at your situation and make it better. That's hard to do.

noone said life was easy but some think it should be and take the cowards way out by masking the problems with drugs (whether legal or not) and find the easiest way to deal with life, which generally means running away from it in some form or another.

self healing is hard, even when others help it still isnt easy but it beats destroying your mind with drugs. self healing is hard but NOT impossible, i truly believe most people are too lazy to do the work needed. why do you think so many people expect others to do things for them? why do you think the people expect the government to do more and more for them every year? fear and laziness.

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I can't stand thinking about taking drugs to heal your emotional/mental problems. I can understand drugs like pain releivers and vitamins, but I really don't trust a pill to relieve me of my stress.

I think depressed people depend on antidepressants too much, because they really want to get out of their state of mind, so they take an overdose.

The real cure for depression is just to talk to someone. Peolpe are usually depressed because they think that no one cares about them and no one wants to listen. They just want to be heard, that's all. I've been depressed in various times in my life, and believe me, talking to someone is teh best way to get out of it.

It's important to identify the cause of depression before trying to rid of it. Alot of girls hate themselves because they aren't satisfied with their bodies. See what the media has done to us? Society nowadays accepts only perfection and the best. Everything else is basically rejected.

It's time that people start realizing that they can't hide their problems anymore. They just have to accept themselves as they are.Taking a pill may make you feel better, but it won't clear you of your issues.

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 03:26 PM
link   
It's really sad, but a fact, most people suffer from depression at some time or another. None of us are special in that respect. It's a human condition and taking pills, as all of you have pointed out, only masks the problem and spawns NEW addictions. This fast food, hyper-speed culture is literally killing us. And yes, these pills are making zombie/slaves of far too many people. Have you all noticed how the pharmeceutical companies are now hocking their drugs on TV? That is outrageous, in my opinion. Once upon a time, we weren't given such a perverse buffet of "remedies" that we could inquire to our doctors about. It's outreageous and should be outlawed, in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 03:37 PM
link   
you know what? antidepressants saved my life. I attempted suicide in early August. don't mistake it with some sort of cry for help; I wanted to die. I was hospitalized, underwent intensive therapy (still am), and found a combination of antidepressants and mood stabilizers that began to work. I don't feel perfect now, I really don't even feel happy. but I can get out of bed, I can go to class, I can exist again. I don't fantisize about ways to die or hurt myself anymore. this sort of depression is not a normal human condition. that's bull#. feel free to feel smug about how 'strong' you are because you don't need drugs to make your brain work correctly, but don't you dare begrudge me what is allowing me to live some semblance of a normal life.

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 03:56 PM
link   
MD,

my sister has been down your road more than a few times. happily she has found more purpose for her life. I trust that is what will happen for you.

regards drugs, only use them for real problems. Serious shyte!

just feeling down means you lack motivation, exercise, discipline, and nutrition.

take some good supplements and herbs. Hey even if a bit of herb helps try that? But that is not how I change my mood.

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
MD,

my sister has been down your road more than a few times. happily she has found more purpose for her life. I trust that is what will happen for you.

regards drugs, only use them for real problems. Serious shyte!

just feeling down means you lack motivation, exercise, discipline, and nutrition.

take some good supplements and herbs. Hey even if a bit of herb helps try that? But that is not how I change my mood.

cutting myself daily for 2 years and eventually attempting to drown myself isn't serious #? heh.

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MorningtonCrescent
you know what? antidepressants saved my life. I attempted suicide in early August. don't mistake it with some sort of cry for help; I wanted to die. I was hospitalized, underwent intensive therapy (still am), and found a combination of antidepressants and mood stabilizers that began to work. I don't feel perfect now, I really don't even feel happy. but I can get out of bed, I can go to class, I can exist again. I don't fantisize about ways to die or hurt myself anymore. this sort of depression is not a normal human condition. that's bull#. feel free to feel smug about how 'strong' you are because you don't need drugs to make your brain work correctly, but don't you dare begrudge me what is allowing me to live some semblance of a normal life.

MC, please don't take offense at this discussion. It's true, there are some cases, as you've pointed out, that it works for; unfortunately, it's also a big racket. There is a good side and there is a bad side. My intention here was to point out that dark side, because believe it or not, the pharmeceutical giants don't give a rat's azz about helping people. They're in it for profit. And certain alphabet agencies use these things behind the scenes to manipulate our society. There is also enuff evidence that points to largescale mental enslavement. There happen to be a multitude of people out there hooked on these drugs unecessarily. Most people would be far better off seeking alternative methods to easing their suffering. Just as an example, my mother was once put on antidepressants, and in short order she realized just how terrible an effect they had on her. She told her doctor that she would never again touch those pills for the sake of her physical wellness and sanity. She got through her depression on her own in God's time. And was better off for it. Something important the article I pointed to points out is that sometimes in life we have to take the bad with the good. Feeling sad, as well as feeling grief and sorrow makes us human, makes us more appreciative of the good. None of us are exempt from misery.
I've also heard some really frightening stories of people becoming horribly addicted to these 'wonder drugs.' How much better off are people, in that case? And lastly, I think its a travesty that so many parents these days take the easy way out and dope their kids up to shut them up. If you ask me, they are abdicating their parental responsibilities to the easy way out. And in the process they are helping the state to produce drug-addicted little monsters. I know this from first-hand experience. Oh yeah, then there are the shyte-brains who actually dig into their children's meds to get high. Those people should be thrown in jail. But good luck catching them.

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
MD,

theneo's right, working out, getting enuff rest and good nutrition work wonders on the psyche. It's a natural way of combating stress and improving one's self-image. It's amazing what a good work-out regiman will do for a person - in many different ways.
When you feel attactive, other people see you as attractive.

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 04:22 PM
link   
MC,

you are a heavy that is for sure.

you take everything! too seriously.

I am not referring to you in regards medication, did you start this thread? are you the only poster?

regarding your own situation I trust that you are on a different road now and I am happy for you.

trust me when I say that I know a bit about what you speak of and I do not take it lightly.

on the other hand you are here because god desires that and that is the way to see it.

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Ok folks, calm down, calm down Doctor Nerdling is here.

What are antidepressants?

Antidepressants are drugs that relieve the symptoms of depression. They were first developed in the 1950s and have been used regularly since then. There are several different types, but this leaflet will concentrate on the older "tricyclic" antidepressants and the newer "SSRIs" (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors). These two types account for 95% of antidepressants prescribed. There is a newer group called "SNRIs" (Serotonin and Noradrenaline Reuptake Inhibitors), but these are not yet so widely-used.

How do they work?

There are almost thirty different kinds of antidepressants available today. They all work by altering the way in which certain chemicals work in our brains. These chemicals are made by our body and are called neuro- transmitters.

Neuro-transmitters are the chemicals which transmit signals between the cells in our brains. In depression, some of the neurotransmitter systems, particularly those of Serotonin and Noradrenaline, don't seem to be working properly. We think that antidepressants work by increasing the activity of these chemicals in our brains.

What are antidepressants used for?

They are used to treat moderate to severe depressive illnesses. They are also used to help the symptoms of severe anxiety, panic attacks and obsessional problems. They may also be used to help people with chronic pain, eating disorders and post-traumatic stress disorder. Don't assume that because you have been prescribed an antidepressant that this means you are suffering from depression. If you are not clear about why you have been given them, ask your doctor.

How well do they work?

Studies have found that after 3 months of antidepressant treatment between 50% and 65% of the people who take them will be much improved (see references). This compares with 25 - 30% of people given an inactive "dummy" pill, or placebo. It may seem surprising that people given placebo tablets improve, but this happens with all tablets that affect how we feel - the effect is similar with painkillers. Antidepressants do seem to be helpful but, like many other medicines, some of the benefit is due to the placebo effect.

Are the newer ones better than the older ones?

Yes and no. The older tablets (Tricyclics) are just as effective as the newer ones (SSRIs) but, on the whole, the newer ones seem to have fewer side- effects. A major advantage for the newer tablets is that they are not dangerous if someone takes an overdose of them.

Do antidepressants have side effects?

Your doctor will be able to advise you here. You should always remind him or her of any medical conditions you have or have had in the past.

Tricyclics
These commonly cause a dry mouth, a slight tremor, fast heatbeat, constipation, sleepiness, and weight gain. Particularly in older people, they may cause confusion, slowness in starting and stopping when passing water, faintness through low blood pressure, and falls. If you have heart trouble, it may be best not to take one of this group of antidepressants. Men may experience difficulty in getting or keeping an erection, or delayed ejaculation. Tricyclics are dangerous in overdose.

SSRIs
During the first couple of weeks of taking them, you may feel sick and more anxious. Some of these tablets can produce nasty indigestion, but you can usually stop this by taking them with food. More seriously, they may interfere with your sexual function. There have been reports of episodes of aggression, although these are rare.

The list of side effects looks worrying - there is even more information about these on the leaflets that come with the medication. However, most people get a small number of mild side-effects (if any). The side effects usually wear off over a couple of weeks as your body gets used to the medication. It is important to have this whole list, though, so you can recognise side effects if they happen. You can then talk them over with your doctor. The more serious ones - problems with urinating, difficulty in remembering, falls, confusion - are uncommon in healthy, younger or middle-aged people.

It is common, if you are depressed, to think of harming or killing yourself. Tell your doctor - suicidal thoughts will pass once the depression starts to lift.

What about driving or operating machinery?

Some antidepressants make you sleepy and slow down your reactions - the older ones are more likely to do this. Some are fine to take when driving. Remember, depression itself will interfere with your concentration and make it more likely that you will have an accident. If in doubt, check with your doctor.

Are antidepressants addictive?

Antidepressant drugs don't cause the addictions that you get with tranquillisers, alcohol or nicotine. You don't need to keep increasing the dose to get the same effect. You won't find yourself craving them if you stop taking them.

However, studies have shown that up to a third of people have withdrawal symptoms for a short time when they stop antidepressants. These include stomach upsets, flu like symptoms, anxiety, dizziness, vivid dreams at night or sensations in the body that feel like electric shocks (see references).

They seem to be most likely to happen with an SSRI antidepressant called Paroxetine (Seroxat), but can be prevented by slowly reducing the dose of antidepressant rather than stopping it suddenly.

What about pregnancy?

It is always best to take as little as possible in the way of medication during pregnancy, especially during the first 3 months. However, some mothers do have take antidepressants during pregnancy. The evidence so far is that their babies don't show any harmful effects from this.

What if the depression comes back?

Some people have severe depressions over and over again. Even when they have got better, they may need to take antidepressants for several years to stop their depression coming back. This is particularly important in older people, who are more likely to have several periods of depression. For some people, other drugs such as Lithium may be recommended. Psychotherapy may be helpful in addition to the tablets.

So what impact would these tablets have on my life?

Depression is unpleasant. It can seriously affect your ability to work and enjoy life. Antidepressants can help you get better quicker. They can be prescribed by your GP and, apart from the side effects listed overleaf, should have very little impact on your life. People on these tablets, particularly the newer ones, should be able to socialise, carry on at work, and enjoy their normal leisure activities.

If you have been depressed for a long time, others who know you well (for example your partner) may have got used to you being like this. Some people in this situation have reported that, as they get better and developed a more lively outlook, their partners had difficulty in adjusting to the change. This can cause friction in a relationship and is something that people need to be aware of and discuss openly if it happens.

What will happen if I don't take them?

It's difficult to say - so much depends on why they have been prescribed, on how bad your depression is and how long you've had it for. It�s generally accepted that most depressions resolve themselves naturally within about 8 months. It is quite possible to get through a mild depressive episode using some of the other treatments mentioned later in this factsheet. If you are in doubt, then you should talk to your doctor.

Courtesy: Royal college of Psychiatrists.

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Depression is over diagnosed. Everyone goes through highs and lows that's just life. Most of the time it shouldn't be treated in a clinical way. If you are cutting and attempting suicide you should be medicated and there should be a plan to ween you off and deal with your deeper issues. But, they just put folk on these mind altering drugs forever and it doesn't deal with the underlying problems. And most folks end up spiraling down as time goes on.

I think it's irresponible treatment, especially if a medical doctor just prescribes you drugs without refering you to a psychiatrist first. You go in a say...I'm depressed and they hand you a prescription.

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Psychotherapy may be helpful in addition to the tablets.

"Outcome research has consistently found that cognitive therapy is at least as effective as tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) in the treatment of outpatients with nonbipolar depression at the termination of treatment (Beck et al., 1979; Blackburn & Bishop, 1979, 1980; McClean & Hakstian, 1979; Rush, Beck, Kovacs, & Hollon, 1977). In one group of studies, the mean percentage changes in the level of depression for such outpatients immediately after treatment were as follows: 66% for those receiving cognitive therapy alone, 63% for those treated with TCAs alone, and 72% for patients receiving some combination of the two (Williams, 1997)."

"The results of a recent meta-analysis (Gloaguen, Cottraux, Cucherat, & Blackburn, 1998), based on clinical trials conducted between 1977 and 1996, found that cognitive therapy was superior to antidepressants and to a set of miscellaneous psychotherapies, while being equal to behavior therapy."

"CBT [Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy] is an efficient, short- and long-term alternative to the standard drug treatment of patients with a major depression or dysthymic disorder.... Drug treatment alone produced more drop-outs and less clinically significant responders than CBT alone or the combination treatment"."

It is important for the public to be aware that there are other options besides medications that have been empirically demonstrated to be effective treatments for depression.

Reference:

Barlow, D.H. (Ed.) (2001). Clinical handbook of psychological disorders: A step-by-step treatment manual, (3rd ed.). New York: Guildford Press.

[Edited on 26-10-2003 by MKULTRA]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join