It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rich Man and Lazarus parable.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I was just reflecting on this story. The story goes as follows. (as much as I remember) There was once a rich man, who wore great clothes of purple and gold, had a great house, a trophy wife, an awesome sports car...everything! Everyday he walked passed a particular begger called Lazarus when he strolled down the road to work. I'm not sure but he might've worked in advertising.

Anyways, Lazarus was a pathetic looking waif. He had sores all over him, and often went hungry. Even the dogs took pity on the begger and licked his open sores. The rich man however, was not so charitable. In time, he actually despised the begger, and hated the sight of him.

When the begger died, he was brought into the kingdom of Heaven, where he had lots of ice cream and stuff. The rich man who heard about his death was most pleased and began eating celery sticks but he died soon after as he got one caught in his throat. He was then horribly surprised to discover that he was actually in Hell, and found it quite hot. He then saw Abe and the begger Lazarus far away, eating ice cream.

He asked "Oh, Father Abe, please send Lazarus to cool my tongue with tasty ice cream!"
Abe replied "Nae chance" (I can't recall, but I think it went along those lines) "Since you had good things all your life, and Lazarus had bad things. Now he is comforted, and you are in anguish". Note: Is that irony?

The rich man then thought of his brothers and said "Please! I have 5 brothers. Can Lazarus come back as a ghost/zombie and tell them about Hell?"
Abe replied "They can listen to Moses and the crew"
"But, they won't listen" screamed the rich man, now wishing he had some fire extinguishiant.
Abe said "If they won't listen to the words of Moses and the crew, then they won't believe a dead man has risen from the dead"

I have some questions that I find odd.

1. Why did Lazarus have a bad life? Was it to test the Rich Man? Was it all a set-up?
2. Why did the Rich Man eat celery sticks? (or did I dream that up?)
3. Would Abe be subject to going to Hell because he refused to help a person in need, albiet a bad person?
4. How did he know that the 5 brothers wouldn't listen to Zombie Lazarus?
5. Is Abe subject to God, or is he God's will?

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Anyone got any opinions on this particular parable?

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   
THis might perhaps be similar to the question of, why is there evil?

Why'd laz have a poor life, and if having a poor life was part of why he got into paradise, then does that mean that 'evil' (or at least bad stuff) is 'ok' comming from a 'permanently and impeccably good' god?

And, of course, there are questions from outside the story. Why was the rich man rich? Did god have a hand in him becoming rich? How much of laz's bad life was directly due to god, and whats that say about god? Its ok, because in the reward was bigger and better than the beating he had to take to get through it?

I mean, if I bang my head against the wall, repeatedly, it hurts, but when you stop, well, things feel much better no?

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 03:52 AM
link   
This subject was brought up real recently....

Parable or Real History

top topics

join