It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Day the Sky Burned

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   
What happens when a planetoid strikes the Earth?

The ensuing cataclysms are depicted in a video clip from Japanese TV.

While the voiceover is in Japanese, the visuals make clear that this could spell doomsday for us.

enjoy

www.dvorak.org...

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Interesting video.

My favorite part were the comments, though...

Good animation, but it does not seem to obey the laws of physics…
Comment by bILL

By the looks of the size of the planetoid in this video, this would most likely split the earth wide open like an over ripe grape, if not blow it into a billion pieces. Heck, the planetoid in this video looks like it is the size of the Moon.
Comment by Mark T

Totally unrealistic. This should only scare the uninformed.

This scenario simply couldn’t happen, it defies Newtonian Physics at several levels.

Cute, makes great hyperbole entertainment for the sky is falling crowd but it’s just fantasy. Chill. Only with computer graphics is this possible.
Comment by Neal K

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Why are we stuck on this idea of a asteroid or whatever hitting us square on? Could it not 'brush' us and take a good bite out of us (and maybe pushing us out of orbit in the process)?

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   
That is possible, yes. For example, the most likely impact of any celestial object would be at a 45 degree angle. Oddly enought, that isn't even "straight on" as most educational and cinematic videos would lead you to believe.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Ironic, at least to me.

That this video is "strikingly" hehe, similar to the simulation of the planetoid mass that
may have hit the Earth in it's early developmental stages.

These collisions may be responsible for the 4 seasons (our axis tilt), the tides (they probably created our moon), and more importantly, life as we know it.

They giveth, and they taketh away!

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Ya gotta be fast to beat dgtempe

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 01:07 AM
link   
LOL

You got that right.
ALthough, this particular topic might thrive in two different forums.
Little bit of prophecy, little bit of Space exploration..

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Looks possible, if the object striking earth was about 1/2 that size, at that size wed be liquidated.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Oh no!!!

But America will be safe, right!?

In all honesty..there's no danger of us being hit by a planetoid. Any object of that size is catalouged and notes are made on it hundreds of times a year, from both the professional and amateur astronomers. We'd have a loooooong warning with which to launch our nuclear weapons, or all-star cast, to intercept said Earth-killer.

"It's...It's the size of Texas, sir"

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGoodDoctorFunk
In all honesty..there's no danger of us being hit by a planetoid.

That's a bit of a brash statement.

If something that size came into the Solar System at a high enough velocity there's a good chance that it'll be missed. On top of that, we would only see it if someone happened to be looking in the right places at the right times.

"... and beg'n your pardon, sir, but it's a big-ass sky."

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   

"... and beg'n your pardon, sir, but it's a big-ass sky."

Ha Ha,,, That's classic.
Putting that one in my quote file.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Damn, I'd hate to be that planet.

Where do you figure you'd survive the longest, if space was not an option? I'd hide myself somewhere deep underwater

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProveIt
Where do you figure you'd survive the longest, if space was not an option? I'd hide myself somewhere deep underwater

That'll only delay the inevitable. All the oceans and every drop of liquid water would boil away in a matter of hours.

If you were to go underground, the earthquakes would be resonating at an unmeasurable magnitude all around the globe for days straight. No doubt you'd be crushed.

new topics

top topics

join