It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Orleans Mayor Requests National Guard Return

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
After a bloody weekend in which five New Orleans teenagers were killed, C. Ray Nagin, mayor of New Orleans, is requesting that Governor Kathleen Blanco send National Guard troops down to assist in policing the area. After a special meeting convened today, the decision was made to put forward the request. There have been 35 murders within the city since April, and 52 since the beginning of the year. The numbers are especially startling since in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, only half of the original population has been estimated to return.

www.cnn.com
Mayor Ray Nagin asked the governor Monday to send National Guard troops and state police to patrol his city after a violent weekend in which five teenagers were shot to death.

City leaders convened a special meeting to voice outrage after the killings Saturday in an area near the central business district. "If we don't have wind knocking us down, we have shooters knocking us down, and that's unacceptable," said City Council President Oliver Thomas.

Along with the city's population, murder and other crimes plummeted for the first months after Hurricane Katrina flooded 80 percent of the city last August. Current estimates vary but the city is believed to have less than half its pre-storm population of about 455,000. However, crime has been creeping up since then. Although the total of 52 murders since Jan. 1 is half the number at this time last year, 35 of them have been since the start of April, more than double the 17 in the first three months.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is very disconcerting. Bringing in the National Guard to act as a police unit within the city is a very unwise decision. The police department of New Orleans was understaffed before the storm, but now with the significant reduction of police, it is not nearly as understaffed compared to the number of citizens currently here. I know that the governor can call the Guard in for special situations, but this is truly ridiculous. There are people here actually asking for martial law to be declared. This is not a positive step for the city, or the nation.

This is breaking news, I will update it when more information comes out.

[edit on 19/6/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
He cant stand the heat? Get out of the kitchen. He was elected and now he's seeking HELP!!!

bs. Perhaps he's not cut for the job. :shk:

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Well if I remember well . . . it was some problems of some type of gang group that was moving to the devastated New Orleans to claim territory.

I wonder if the problems with the crime are do to that effect.

I wish I remember the gang's name.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
No matter what, where is the local law enforcement? Are they no longer able to handle the gangs and such? Does everything now have to call for THE BIG GUYS?

We are doing a disservice to our country by always wanting outside help now.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Oh yeah, I started a thread on this over in the current events forum . I always forget the news... and you can read my full thoughts over there.

Sorry about the one line response, I was just pointing out the fact that there is already a discussion going on over there.

I think this is definitely news. I think that too many people in the US use race as a crutch and an excuse.

[edit on 19-6-2006 by Marid Audran]

[edit on 19-6-2006 by Marid Audran]

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Marg, I can't remember the name of the gang, but this isn't it. It was a latino gang that was supposed to be coming in (they were already here).

This man needs to do his job. If he couldn't handle it, why did he say he could before elections? I think we all know the answer to that already.

Problem, reaction, solution. I know it is horrible that these people died over the weekend. It could have been anyone I know (they haven't proven the 5 killed was over drugs). I am just so angry that with everything that has happened, people are helping it fall apart even more!

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   
It depends how violent the streets has become.

If I was a citizen and my town is in trouble because the law enforcement can not handle a wave of crime I will be screaming for help from the state govenor and it she can not do anything then so beat it let the federal government get involve.

Could it be that the police are part of the crime spree or supporting and protecting the ones committing the crimes?

Is very possible that things are that out of hand in the city.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Marg,

Actions like these will be the cause of the beginning of police states if these idiots who pledge to work for these towns in a government capacity do not do their jobs.
Something wrong? Call the National Guards. Pffft

Gimme a break. I'm not mad at you, Marg,
, just this stupid situation.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   
The name of that gang wouldn't happen to be M-13? I am surprised that the police force of New Orleans hasn't already been augumented by at least the State police of maybe some Military police on detached duty to the National Guard. The members of the police force need to re-establish themselves and their families as well as the rest of New Orleans.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Don't worry Dg I am just adding more scenarios to it.

JIMC5499

Now I believe that the gang I was talking about did have a number to it.
Thanks for bringing that.

But you are right police should be able to handle the problem but only if they have enough forces to do it.

After reading the article it looks that is more than just a crime wave, it sounds like shooters going crazy killing and on top of that they are using semi automatic guns.

Looks like the citizens are scare enough to cooperate.

80 percent on crime rates is something to be very concern about in a city that has half of the population.

Drugs may be the problem, could gangs be at fault?

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
But you are right police should be able to handle the problem but only if they have enough forces to do it.

After reading the article it looks that is more than just a crime wave, it sounds like shooters going crazy killing and on top of that they are using semi automatic guns.

Looks like the citizens are scare enough to cooperate.

80 percent on crime rates is something to be very concern about in a city that has half of the population.

Drugs may be the problem, could gangs be at fault?

I don't know who is at fault. The point that I am trying to make is that it is wrong for the Police of New Orleans to be left alone to control the city at this time. These people aren't only Police officers they are residents of New Orleans as well. Their homes were damaged, their families displaced like everyone else. There should have been help made availible until they could get back on their feet as well.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I get the impression the shootings are happening a little too close to where the politico's work.
Seems like when there's a chance they'll get involved, more police - and now the National Guard - get called out.

On the other hand, it's probably good that the National Guard has been called out before things really get out of hand . . . if they aren't already.

Poor Ray, all that big talk prior to the elections from a guy who can't even drive a school bus, but now he wants to be protected.

A little ambigous of me you say?
True, but then I have national leaders to look up to who give ambiguity a whole new definition....

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
The name of that gang wouldn't happen to be M-13?

It's MS-13 also known as Mara Salvatrucha.

Additional link:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Mirthful Me

Thanks for that link, I guess this particular gang may be too sofisticated to be in the streets of New Orleans right now.

It may not be them.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
The name of that gang wouldn't happen to be M-13? I am surprised that the police force of New Orleans hasn't already been augumented by at least the State police of maybe some Military police on detached duty to the National Guard. The members of the police force need to re-establish themselves and their families as well as the rest of New Orleans.

MS-13. Mara Salvatrucha. The fastest growing gang in the US. They're already way up here in East Boston.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marid Audran
Oh yeah, I started a thread on this over in the current events forum . I always forget the news... and you can read my full thoughts over there.

Sorry about the one line response, I was just pointing out the fact that there is already a discussion going on over there.

Thanks for the pointer.
Sometimes we linger too long here in ATSNN, and don't venture outside to see what else is happening.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Originally posted by Marid Audran

Thanks for the pointer.
Sometimes we linger too long here in ATSNN, and don't venture outside to see what else is happening.

Both to Marid Audran and Jsobecky, I'm sorry, but that thread was not in existence (or I didn't see it) when I posted this thread. Otherwise, I more than definitely would have added that to the discussion threads to go along with the story. My bad.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I know marshial law is just about the biggest thret to our freedom. But from what was described hear it sounds like the freedom of New Orleans has been taken away by the gang and replaced with fear and violence. I dont know how the Gov will use the military to support reguler law enforcement, but that will fix the problem I say do it.

This sounds like a case of the lesser of two evils.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
The biggest problem that New Orleans has, is it's mayor, Ray Nagin.

His Police Department deserted him during Katrina. He was not enough of a leader to hold them together.

Now he wants the National Guard to do the PD's job. He doesn't have to sign their paychecks, or look them in the eye, after all..

He made so many other mistakes, which have already been covered.

He was re-elected because of the outside influence of antagonists like Jesse Jackson.

But where is Jesse Jackson today? When will people learn?

I feel badly for the citizens, but you re-elected him. Want change? Toss him out of the city.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
I know marshial law is just about the biggest thret to our freedom. But from what was described hear it sounds like the freedom of New Orleans has been taken away by the gang and replaced with fear and violence. I dont know how the Gov will use the military to support reguler law enforcement, but that will fix the problem I say do it.

This sounds like a case of the lesser of two evils.

By what gang??? MS-13 has not taken over! It is the same old petty criminals that it was before. Gangster wannabe's with nothing else to do. This has nothing to do with a Latino gang. This is how rumors are spread. That gang hardly has any hold here whatsoever. Thankfully, that is because of the, well, more established group of a certain European descent that has had their hands on control for quite a long time, ie. mafia. I remember when this came out, a friend of mine started laughing. MS-13? When you have gangsters running around named Lorenzo and Nicolo, you no longer think MS-13, do you?

<<   2  3 >>

join