It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al-Qaeda Abandoned Gas Attack Plot

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 02:28 AM
link   
According to a new book written by Ron Suskind, a Washington journalist. A 2003, Al-Qeada plotted to disperse cyanide gas on US subway systems using an ingenious gas generator code named mubtakkar ( an Arabic term meaning inventive) which would mix sodium cyanide and hydrochloric acid , liberating the deadly hydrogen cyanide gas .
For reasons unknown , the opera ration was canceled just 45 days before the terrorists were prepared to strike by Ayman Zawahiri , the second in command of the terror network . Most alarmingly , the current location and status of the terrorists who were to have executed the attack are unknown . it is feared they still could be at large in the USA.
A reconstruction of the mubtakkar device was reconstructed by CIA technicians working from captured plans , the operational replica , the size of a paint can was shown to president Bush and other top US officials. It was described as " a nightmare "

www.timesonline.co.uk
AL-QAEDA terrorists were within 45 days of filling the New York Subway with cyanide gas, according to a new book. The plot — involving a specially designed dispersal device named the mubtakkar or “inventive” in Arabic — was aborted not by any intelligence breakthrough but because it was mysteriously called off by al-Qaeda’s second-in-command, Ayman Zawahiri

Agents from a joint US- Saudi anti-terrorism unit found a laptop computer at a flat in Saudi Arabia that had been visited by one of them, described as “an educated fiftyish professional, with computer skills”. A copy of the hard-drive, sent for analysis to the United States, revealed the design of the mubtakkars to disperse hydrogen-cyanide gas in Subway carriages.
The design comprised two separate chambers for sodium cyanide, which is used as a rat poison and metal cleanser, and for a stable source of hydrogen, such as hydrochloric acid. A remote trigger could break a seal between the two, producing a lethal hydrogen-cyanide gas similar to the Zyklon B used in Nazi death camps.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It is a sobering tale , a stark reminder of the constant threat posed by global terrorism , and more importantly how luck and other unknown factors influence the outcome of planned events .

Was the plot canceled to ` protect ` the secrecy and planning of an even bigger operation as Suskind speculates , or did Al-Qeada tests of their new weapon prove a disappointment ?

I favour the latter , as in small packages HCN gas ( cyanide ) is not really that deadly – it would be devastating in a single sealed subway car – but so would a Semtex nail-bomb of equal size

Here is a bit of technical info on hydrogen cyanide gas , courtesy Wikipedia .

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org

[edit on 19-6-2006 by ignorant_ape]

[edit on 19-6-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I cannot help but wonder whether this is for real or another case of the bush administration crying wolf for political gain....after all bush and the republican party are polling in the mid 30% or worse. It is just too too convienient. Also if it happened in 03 and the bush team had known about it, ya think they would have stayed quiet, after all they have been proven incapable of keeping secrets, unless of course its something they want to hide from the public.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Why dont you ask the reporter if he is working for Bush on this plot?

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this. I agree with you that al Qaeda realized that this would do more harm to their cause than good, thus they cancelled their plans. Even tho the loss of a single American life would be tragic, the bang for the buck would only have served to bring the force of the free world down upon their necks, and they realized this.

One more attack foiled, good work to those involved.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   
It should be noted that this was a threat to the NYC subway system and not US systems. I say that because it seems our wonderful Department of Homeland Security, and the clown at the head of this organization, fail to see the need to keep our anti-terror funding where it was.

It seems the city was warned of the danger and preparations were made to handle the patients. City subway riders are furious that we weren't told of the possible attack and rightfully so. If the gov't knew, and the city knew, they could have mentioned it and the subways would have been far less crowded, minimizing the number of patients they were planning on treating.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
A poster above stated that if this happened in 03 why bring this up now?

It probably would of aided their cause,(US/CIA).

So rather than us being the clever ones and catching them out, isnt this a case that this was "Invented", or withheld until it was needed?, as ratings are low.

Also this could be a pretense of something bigger, i think alot of us agree that something bigger is on its way, it would have to beat 9/11, whether its Al'queda, or the CIA behind things.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I don't find this hard to believe at all.

Attacks on transit systems have occurred before. So have attacks on transit systems using gases, anyone remember this?

Oh and Messers Chertoff and Bush... this type of attack would kill a lot more people than a gas attack on Wyoming or Montana... just FYI.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
um, this is not something the white house released. I'm guessing they don't want the public knowing it was as close as it was and as completely unavoidable as it apparently was.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   
thing is, after all the hubris and reteroic if there is another major attack on U.S. Soil, it will certianly expose the lie that only the republicans/bush team can protect us against another terrorist attack, cause guess what, they will have failed.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
it will certianly expose the lie that only the republicans/bush team can protect us against another terrorist attack, cause guess what, they will have failed.

Hasn't that already been exposed numerous times. Especially in their latest allocation of finances. This administration's claim to be unshakably focused on the security of the American people has been proven to be a fraud.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
It is for this reasons, that i have to think that the real terrorists do actions that make sense, and not earn condemnation...

Like attack military targets, or avoid civilians...

It would have been too use these type of devices to attack us all along, so why haven't they?
probably the same reason as has kept them from attacking us yet...

attacking civilians = small countries going boom, attacking military targets = gets ignored quickly...

A guerilla or terrorist cell would probably opt to do the most damage with the least condemnation...

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   

thing is, after all the hubris and reteroic if there is another major attack on U.S. Soil, it will certianly expose the lie that only the republicans/bush team can protect us against another terrorist attack, cause guess what, they will have failed.

I don't think they claim that only they can protect us. On the contrary, the message I have been getting is that we are not going to be able to stop all the attacks but we will do our best to stop them and, if we are not going to be able to stop all the attacks, perhaps by going on the offensive and flexing our muscles wherever and whenever, we might force some of the countries who harbor and aid these terrorists to rethink their decision to assist them in killing our citizens.

In other words, fight in Iraq or Afghanistan or wherever to let other nations know that, while we probably can't stop 5 guys with aerosol cans, we can certainly destroy whole villages in the country where these folks planned the attack.

Will it work? Is it working? Dunno. Fortunately I haven't had to scan the list of missing for the names of my friends and relatives since 9/11/01 so maybe it is working a little bit.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums

it will certianly expose the lie that only the republicans/bush team can protect us against another terrorist attack, cause guess what, they will have failed.

Hasn't that already been exposed numerous times. Especially in their latest allocation of finances. This administration's claim to be unshakably focused on the security of the American people has been proven to be a fraud.

I certianly agreee with you but as a rule Americans have become so fat, happy and compalcent, unless you beat them over the head with a 2X4 they won't connect the dots, I am not even sure a 2X4 will get through the impacted layers McDonalds fat. Hell when I was young, an unpopular war and a chonically honesty challenged administration helped give rise to the outrage of counter-cultural movements of the 60's. The young today with their ipods and cell phones are too damned bloody self absorbed to protest anything other than not enough minutes.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I think it's interesting that folks are so surprised about this turn of events. Considering past contentions that the 1993 WTC bombing was ineffective (in that it didn't fell the building) due to the fact that those who were tasked with carrying out the bombing were upset at the fact that they were not properly financed for their efforts and used less explosives, it becomes possible that a gas attack never occurred because the PNAC check didn't clear.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
An Associated Press article carried in the local newspaper (St. Louis Post Dispatch), quotes the book mentioned in the cited article;
"The easy-to-make device was a breakthrough in weapons technology that "was the equivalent of splitting the atom," Suskind writes in his book." (Gas attack on New York was called off, June 19, 2006, pg A2).

That may be simple hyperbole by the author, however, if its even close, it shows the level of ingenuity and intellect being used to devise ways to inflict mass casualties as simply as possible. The minions actually strapping on the explosive vests, or placing the sensitive devices may be described as 'thugs', but those that direct them are often college educated and able to collect the best resources.

Its interesting that the use of a device described as "inventive" would be cancelled by a top al-Qaida deputy. I don't think the planned use of the device is the real issue here. I think its the alleged cancellation of its use. Its description is certainly one of an effective terrorist weapon. What prompted its cancellation?

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Hell when I was young, an unpopular war and a chonically honesty challenged administration helped give rise to the outrage of counter-cultural movements of the 60's. The young today with their ipods and cell phones are too damned bloody self absorbed to protest anything other than not enough minutes.

And who is to challenge the very real threat that is imposed by terrorism? It's not the admin who flew those planes into the WTC, or who beheaded Nick Berg, Daniel Pearl, or so many others. Why keep pointing at the administration?

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The timing of this revelation , hinged on the publication of Mr. Suskinds latest book . Not some white house machinations to manipulate public opinion and the pollsters .

If you wish to know why the book was only just published now , ask Mr. Suskind and his publisher .

But in the mean time , Here is the juiciest snippet from the Amazon editorial review of an earlier Suskind book [ The price of loyalty ] :

The George W. Bush White House, as described by former Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill, is a world out of kilter. Policy decisions are determined not by careful weighing of an issue's complexities; rather, they're dictated by a cabal of ideologues and political advisors operating outside the view of top cabinet officials. The President is not a fully engaged administrator but an enigma who is, at best, guarded and poker-faced but at worst, uncurious, unintelligent, and a puppet of larger forces. O'Neill provided extensive documentation to journalist and author Suskind,

So I put it to you that Mr. Suskind is not some “ Neocon Bush apologist “

Why am I having to state this anyway ? The Times on line article I used in my story should have enabled any reader to deduce these facts as quickly and easily as I did .

That is if they actually read it .

As for the question “ why wasn’t this made public in 2003 “ , I can only speculate – but maybe the laptop recovered in the middle east contained other Intel that was of such value that even the fact that western security forces possessed it had to be hidden from Al_Queada . If the subway gas threat was made public , Al-Queada may have realised that their other secrets had been compromised too , and negated the

Lastly – if the gas plot was publicised at the time , wouldn’t the terrorists have won ? panic would have gripped NYC again , people would have been afraid to travel . TERROR would have been struck into the hearts of Americans , isn’t that the point of terrorism ? I thought it was , but what do I know ?

There are limited circumstances when ignorance is bliss – And if the public is not in fear , despite the actions of terrorists . then sometimes keeping the public in the dark is the correct course of action to thwart the goals of terrorists . if the public are not afraid , the terrorists are loosing – and must either accept defeat or mount operations to strike fear , and those operations expose the terrorist to the attentions of the security services .

The disclaimer to the last paragraph , is that such brinksmanship requires a level of competence , foresight , integrity and trustworthiness in government that many people fear the Bush administration lacks .

EDIT appologies - the profanity filter disnt like a word so i had to change it

[edit on 19-6-2006 by ignorant_ape]

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Josbecky, I am not saying that there is not a very real threat, there is, but this administration has cried wolf so many times, (remember the color code sliding up and down almost constantly for a year or more?) and after swearing that they would never use 9/11 for political gain (and then evoking it every time you turn around) and after swearing that they would do what ever it takes to protect americans, then underfunding homeland security, and all that, how can anybody claim that they have any crediblity on this issue left? Whenver something appears in the news after all this, the first thing that crosses my mind is, is it real? the second is what are they trying to hide? and finally, what do they gain? Not, is this real and should I worry.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I will bet that acquiring a large enough amount of sodium cyanide without being traced is all but impossible. I mean, this is the most famous toxin the history of this planet, and I'm sure it's closely controlled. Terrorists could have used it without any gas generators to poison the NYC water supply.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Josbecky, I am not saying that there is not a very real threat, there is, but this administration has cried wolf so many times, (remember the color code sliding up and down almost constantly for a year or more?) and after swearing that they would never use 9/11 for political gain (and then evoking it every time you turn around) and after swearing that they would do what ever it takes to protect americans, then underfunding homeland security, and all that, how can anybody claim that they have any crediblity on this issue left? Whenver something appears in the news after all this, the first thing that crosses my mind is, is it real? the second is what are they trying to hide? and finally, what do they gain? Not, is this real and should I worry.

Yes, the color code. It was a knee-jerk reaction to try to calm millions of worried Americans. It didn't work, and was discarded.

Underfunding Homeland Security for places like NYC, I totally agree. I've looked at it from all angles, and it still smells like small-time, mean-spirited politics to me.

But have they cried wolf? How can we tell? We haven't been attacked since. That means something. Have the terrorists lost their demon or have we found ours? Who can tell?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join