It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how do you think the dinosaurs really went "extinct"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 02:08 AM
link   
how do we know there not still alive, a couple of them, in the rainforest or somthing, all the stuff we havnt found yet, maybe like freak natural selection killed off thousands of dinosaurs only leaving certain ones

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Some clearly survived there all around us we just call them birds

IMO they went extinct for a couple of reason with the KT impact being the straw that broke the camels back. A few million years leading up to the KT impact the dinosaurs and really all life on earth was in decline. I think climate changes, massive volcano's and massive droughts were to blame.

Then all of a sudden a rock the size of mount Everest slammed into earth moving at about 10 to 20 km/sec. That seems to have been enough to push most of the dinosaurs that were already struggling over the edge. I think something like 65% of the animals that lived before the KT impact are not found above the KT impact line. Evidence of a massive die off in the blink of a Geologic eye.

As for a true living dinosaur the Congo would likely be the best chance with its infamous "Mokele-Mbembe" but even if true it wouldn't really be a dinosaur as we knew it would have gone through another 65 million years of evolution. That's really why I don't buy "Mokele-Mbembe" as a surviving dinosaur. The way its described is a clear Sauropod. They didn't live in dense jungles and swamps they weren't designed for that. They were also herd animals which 'Mokele-Mbembe" was never reported to be in. Changing a niche that much would have dramatic changes on its body over some 65 million years.

There might really be something out there but I would put money on some unknown type of giant semi-aquatic monitor lizard then a living dinosaur

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 04:38 AM
link   
For the 'Mokele-Mbembe' to be alive now, means they must have been breeding which means there was more than 1 that survived. Which is probably unlikely to have a whole heard of Dinosaurs roaming the Congo Jungles, but the jungles are big so you never know.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 04:44 AM
link   
ShadowXIX, there's also the competing theory that the Deccan Traps vulcanism contributed to it, which was going on for a while before and after. Oddly enough, the Deccan Traps used to be directly opposite the KT impact site at Chixulub (I wonder if I spelt that right?) and it possible that the impact could have made the vulcanism worse. Double hit?

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 04:48 AM
link   
yeah it has to be the KT event thingy that happened in the yucatan penisula cos that's how the mayans knew the world was gonna end in 2012. They saw a twin comet to the KT comet and worked out that it would come back in 2012. But the comet alone aint enough to wipe out nuthin. It's gonna take more buses that that one.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I think Dinosaurs finally became extinct as a result of the growing ice sheet in Antarctica - maybe surviving until least 35 million years ago, perhaps even longer.

Antarctica would have been less affected by the Yucatan impact than most places, and any species living there would have already been adapted to colder conditions and long periods of darkness. So they would have been best suited to surviving the impact aftermath.

Of course, there's no fossil evidence fo this. But it's an intriguing theory.

(For the record, Stephen Baxter postulates the theory in his novel Evolution )

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 05:22 AM
link   
What if the dinasours are completely mans creation? I don't mean to be so dibelieving on everything but I have never seen a fossil that looked real. Someone told me once in a museum that a large dinasour they had on display was like 90% authentic and I coulndn't tell the difference in any of the bones. I guess that day I stopped believing in dinasours. I left thinking if they could make a few bones look that good they could have made all of them look that good. Imagine an incredible 123-foot long, 100-ton Argentinosaurus lumbering through the Patagonian terrain to feed on the lush. You can catch a tiny glimps of him here

www.fernbank.edu...

Anyhow back to the original question what killed the dinosaurs? Maybe they discovered Nucleur power long before most of us have been lead to believe. There certainly is evidince of it in the Bible stories.

[edit on 19-6-2006 by TgSoe]

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Hmmmm, I must have missed the Biblical stories about dinosaurs using nuclear power .......

As for bones being man-made, well, er, how do they produce so many, and get them buried into solid rock to be found by the likes of you and I?

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I think there's some lies going around as to the dating of when the dinosaurs were around. I thought this before I heard that the Mayans told of humans and dinosaurs being contemporaries, and before I found out about the likes of oddities like the footprint of the human and the dinosaur apparently found together, and the figures of Acambaro.

What has come of the dimensional portals at Sedona? There was a book with photos that said to show dinosaurs.

Years ago there was a webpage online that was about the 'reptilians' that are mentioned in various conspiracies as having come here and wiped out the dinosaurs and took their planet off them, I haven't been able to track it down for years, so if anyone knows of such a thing could ya please link it here?

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ed 209
I think there's some lies going around as to the dating of when the dinosaurs were around. I thought this before I heard that the Mayans told of humans and dinosaurs being contemporaries, and before I found out about the likes of oddities like the footprint of the human and the dinosaur apparently found together, and the figures of Acambaro.

This has been gone into before. Dinosaurs died out at the end of the Cretaceous Period, around 65 million years ago. Human beings have only been around for a few hundred thousand years (in our present form anyway).
Why would people lie about the dinosaurs when the truth is in the rocks around us and can be geologically dated? The Mayans had no contact in any way, shape or form, with dinosaurs.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Are you for real? You're asking 'why would people lie' on these forums? Something ain't right there.

Nowhere near being right. That's an outright attack on me personally that you made there and you seem to be thinking it's ok to do that by adding that flaming smiley after your post! This thread is asking about what really happened, well those examples are highly relevant. If you want to contradict the Mayan one then you can go read The Pleiadian Agenda where it is quoted, then ask Hunbatz Men why he lied about human and dinosaur interactions. Cause I don't think that he did lie.

I've never dated a rock in my life. I have no personal knowledge of how that could work. I know that carbon dating is not exact and I know that if it were always the case that what is found in what strata is to a definite dated area of time then there's so many ooparts already that all current accepted theories on what happened when are no longer relevant.

That's the trouble - data must be consistent. In practice what we get is people using data to promote some point of view and ignoring the data that doesn't fit. You can't do that, at best it's schizoid.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ed 209

That's the trouble - data must be consistent. In practice what we get is people using data to promote some point of view and ignoring the data that doesn't fit. You can't do that, at best it's schizoid.

Which is why most scientists don't do that. And, indeed, why many theories are constantly changing as new evidence comes to light (hence recent doubts cast on the role of the Chicxulub meteorite in killing the dinoisaurs).

As for dinosaurs co-existing with the Mayans - I think you're referring to The Mystery of Acambaro

It's a well known hoax. The figurines actually look nothing like dinosaurs - though very much like they were pictured in some children's books of the 1950s. Some goes for the Peruvian Ica Stones.

Also, a good article from Fortean Times on the subject here

But let's face it - if there were dinosaurs in Mexico and S America a few hundred years ago, where have they all gone? And why have we never found any remains? Especially given the number of serious investigators and explorers who are sop keen to prove the existence of unknown creatures, possible even dinosaurs, in other parts of the world?

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Why would you type 'I think you are refering to......' when I outright stated exactly what I was refering to, and mentioned those figurines separately too.

That's classic CSICOP put-down style that is.

From what I've read it's not been established if those are hoaxes. And the pictures I have seen do look like dinosaurs. Not that - according to the usual theories - anyone knows what a dinosaur actually looked like......

As for the findings comments - I covered that in my post as well, so why ask as if I hadn't written that out. The bit about the strata and the ooparts.

I like FT but sometimes they publish some well dodgy disinfo. They did that with Robert Temple's The Sirius Mystery, let some guy debunk it on the basis that apparently the questions asked of the Dogon people were not translated correctly - and the source of this info. was one other set of questions asked the same tribe by someone else years later. So to discount one set of questions and answers would mean you have to discount the other one anyway.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkmind
ShadowXIX, there's also the competing theory that the Deccan Traps vulcanism contributed to it, which was going on for a while before and after. Oddly enough, the Deccan Traps used to be directly opposite the KT impact site at Chixulub (I wonder if I spelt that right?) and it possible that the impact could have made the vulcanism worse. Double hit?

Ah the Deccan Traps thats the name of the massive volcanos I was talking about leading up to the KT impact. I couldnt remember the name of them off hand. I personally dont see that as a competing theory to the KT impact but rather a contribution to the event which came to a head with the KT impact.

The Deccan traps and the likely climate changes it caused droughts etc. are a really good candidates for what was giving life on earth such a hard time leading up to the KT impact. So we have all these species of dinosaurs and other animals having a hard time and all of a sudden a massive impact on top of it all.

Theres just too many forms of life found only below the KT boundary and then *bam* there gone above it. So IMO the KT impact wasnt the only cause but it was the point of no return for most of the dinosaurs. Alot of them might have been able to eek out a living and survive the climate change and volcanos before the impact but the impact was too much.

As for if the KT impact could have set off even more volcanos I dont know its hard to say because thank god we have never seen such a impact on a active planet like earth. I would think its possible such a massive impact could set off volcanos or super volcanos that were perhaps on the brink of going off. But I have no data to support such claims.

[edit on 19-6-2006 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Well, there have been many extinctions throughout history. Some life lives through it (frogs, other amphibians, birds, etc.). Crocodilians remain relatively unchanged for many years. I would think that if there was an impact then everything would die equally (so to speak).

Most likely dinosaurs would have died out from "natural causes". They were around for 165 million years quite successfully, but as others have said here, they were dwindling towards the end of the Cretaceous. Climate changes most likely made a huge difference. The continent changes may have made it possible for species to intermingle more possibly bringing unwanted diseases. Sort of like if a person from the US was dropped along the Amazon or in a deep African jungle without inoculations, they would be dead in an hour.

Well, that's my thoughts. I've been into dinos for a long time so I have thought about it before.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Jeez Ed, quit thinking that everyone that replies to your posts are attacking you. Read both your last posts again, you're way over the top. That's a great way to make enemies and have people ignored on ATS (and get banned)

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by IrvingTheExplainer
Well, there have been many extinctions throughout history. Some life lives through it (frogs, other amphibians, birds, etc.). Crocodilians remain relatively unchanged for many years.

Its interesting alot of the ones that survived frogs, salamanders, Crocodiles, turtles and the like all shared one special ability that likley helped them survived the mass extinction. The can all hibernate in one form or another I live in the North East US with brutal winters yets snakes, frogs, salamanders, turtles can all survive the long winters. We dont have alligators up here but they can also hibernate in the winters and can go very long without food.

Besides animals that hibernated in one form or another the other survivors seemed to be really small and highly adaptive species for example the mammals at the time.

The continent changes may have made it possible for species to intermingle more possibly bringing unwanted diseases. Sort of like if a person from the US was dropped along the Amazon or in a deep African jungle without inoculations, they would be dead in an hour.

I dont think that fits the facts. At that time the continental drift was further isolating the dinosaurs on different continents since they were spreading apart. There was no change at that time that would have introduced species from different continents that had not intermingled before. By that time really only the great Pterosaurs could cross the large oceans and they had been doing that for millions of years when the Atlantic was just a tiny channel.

Diseases could have played a role but I dont think because of interaction due to continental drift

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Yeah, you're right. The continents started together, and split apart, actually isolating many species, I would assume, that's why we have similar types of animal populations in North America and South America, but not actually the same species.

I had heard that land bridges were formed during the Jurassic/Cretaceous that made it possible for animals that were isolated from each other to travel to intermingle.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Land bridges formed during Jurassic/Cretaceous. I wasnt aware on any that formed during that peroid. Most maps from the peroid I have seen look like this

map During the extinction event. North America and Eurasia were connected but had been since the time of Pangea.

Im not sure about the Jurassic but that was so far before the extinction event I think it would have little effect concerning the dinosaur extinction event.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The dinosaurs didnt exist sorry but why would [insert any conspiracy related creature/person/alien here] want to go around the entire planet placing made up fossils.
And as to my thoughts about the extinction of the dinosaurs i think it was probaly the meteor strike after a prolonged peroid of decline(wow same as almost everyone else.)
I also think that maybe it was during a colder part of the year where many animals would be hibernating and protected from the shockwave and theyd also have slowed metabolisms so they could possible survive the lack of food that would ahve happened at the time.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join