It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Go to jail for using Google Earth?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Faheem Lodhi was recently charged under new terrorism laws of downloading maps of military bases in the Sydney area, in conjunction with using a false name. Now I don't know exactly what maps he downloaded, but these new Australian anti-terrorism laws got me thinking. Would it be possible to take people to court just for using a freeware program like Google Earth to look at detailed overhead photography of sensitive military bases? Of course, this charge was part of the 'planning the attack' charge, but still . . . that could be a very fine line at times.

Not saying I use GE to plan out missions to assault military bases, but you know, you do end up looking at places like Area-51 and whatnot, as well as many 'installations' in your local area.

Yeah, I know they probably don't even know what you're looking at, and there would be so many people to charge itd be ridiculous, but still . . . just asking.
If you just happened to come under their attention, and they learnt that you were looking at bases, could that help them get a warrant or lay charges or could it be used as evidence?

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 02:11 AM
link   
The US reserved the right to block the sale of commercial satellite imagery for reasons of national security anywhere in the US. I think its referred to as "shutter control "

But to my knowledge this has never been used and commercial satellites have been allowed to take pictures of even the most secure sites in the US Area 51 and the like. Theres really no concern at bases like that because they know when a bird is going buy and you never catch anything outside they dont want you too see.

So if there was really something they didnt want you to see and they couldnt hide they would just stop the commerical company from releasing the info for national security.

I dont think you have to worry about using google earth unless your planning a attack like Faheem Lodhi seems to have been.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I don't thikn Google Earth islive....most of the photos are more than a few years old. The one of my apartment is over 5!

So I don't think they care what you look at in GE, since it's so outdated.

new topics

join