It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ATS Option?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   
This thread is mostly for the mods, however i want everyone to give me your feedback on this idea and maybe help draw the mods to this new option.

I have been on ATS for much longer then i have been registered, and i have witnessed several site updates, and layout reformats. I feel that i am not the only one who became quite fond of older layouts of the main page, or just how things were run etc. I would like to suggest the option of allowing users to choose from different versions of ATS. This would be kind of like a "choose your desired format" option, in which things like front page content and overall look of ATS could be assigned by an individual member for the individual member. This is not an uncommon thing among boards on the web; many use terms such as "basic" or 1.0, 2.0 etc in order to label the different formats.

Let me know what you guys think about this and let the mods know too!

captinofcats~

[edit on 18-6-2006 by captinofcats]

[edit on 18-6-2006 by captinofcats]

(Mod edit: Softened caps in title. Oh, and um... cats rule. --Majic)

[edit on 6/19/2006 by Majic]

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I have no problems with the new layouts. I did prefer the old style of the recent posts box, the one that listed a few from ATS, a few from BTS and a few from PTS instead of everything in a jumble.

One thing on the new format..... The Hot Topics and Hot Discussions... can they be edited to go to the last page... or leave it as it is now and add the

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 12:02 AM
link   
yes this is basically what im talking about..although it might be a huge hastle for the mods and the 3A, i think it would give ATS a whole knew customizable dimention which it has never really had before. What if you not only had different basic versions of ATS that you could choose from, but also edit specific details to your personal preference? am i the only one who thinks this would be really cool? and make ATS a lot more enjoyable? keep the opinions coming!

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Could you imagine the trouble someone would have to go to to enable customizable features for each member to play with?

And although I do remember some of the older versions, I prefer this new layout. It looks crazy . . . although I do agree with dulcimer, about the 'new posts' box. Far too jumbled and unclear. Other than that, I think being able to switch back to older versions would just be a waste of space, and ATS is expanding too rapidly to allow it anyway.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Well, to keep it short and sweet - no.

The reason for the ever-changing site layout and design is not only to keep everything fresh and evolving, but more importantly, is carried out in our efforts to lessen the strain on our servers through numerous tweaks and adjustments.

ATS's level of increase in visitor traffic is so mind-boggling, it almost seems impossible, but it's happening constantly!

Every time we reach a stage where traffic is causing website slowdowns and we can eventually agree that it's possible to financially sustain a more advanced, more effective server implementation, we go ahead and get it done. Sounds simple doesn't it?? Unfortunately (or is this positive) we also find that with every upgrade MORE people start coming in...

It never ends, even with our recent upgrade to our quad-core servers we can already see these reaching extinction in a short few months.

So back to the original question, we can't do this, it is far too much of a strain and a programming burden to boot. Sorry.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Ok i totally see your point Simon i didnt really stop and think about how much traffic you guys really have to handle. I guess something like that would not apply or even be logical for a site this huge. When i thought this up i was thinking about smaller more private boards which i have visited. Thanks for the reply though and also for helping me see your guys' perspective

new topics

top topics

join