It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bioengineered kids!

page: 1

join
share:
apc

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Ok not yet. But getting closer!

Reuters.com

PRAGUE (Reuters) - British scientists said on Monday they have developed a new rapid screening test using DNA fingerprinting to detect genetic disorders in embryos.
The technique, which is being presented at a European fertility conference, will enable more couples at high risk of passing on a serious genetic illnesses to their children to ensure only healthy embryos are used in-vitro fertilization.

I dont see this taking a route towards naturally fertilized embryos, but in-vitros seem to have an obvious fate. I wonder... will they let us live?

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Those that fail can just be put back on ice for preservation can't they? If they can then I fail to see the ethical implications if we learn how to repair these disorders later on. :shrug:

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I bet we will see the first "Designer babies" in the lifetime of most of the people on ATS right now. This tech will start detecting and prevent genetic disorders but will move into more cosmetic traits.

apc

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Indeed. Now of the implantation candidates we select those who do not carry markers for a host of crippling genetic disorders. Then we move on to sex, brain capacity, height, hair color, and so on.

If someone is born with down syndrome, it will no longer be because that is how "God wanted them." It will be because someones geneticist screwed up.

I don't see any ethical problems at this point. But it is just the beginning.

top topics

join