It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korean ICBM

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by rai76
Ok this is fun, a big alarm for nothing?

Many in Seoul are dismissing the reports of fueling and the military dimensions of a launch, stressing that all evidence appears to point to another attempt to launch a North Korean satellite. They point to the above ground obvious preparations and their own intelligence that indicates no warhead. What is more, according to South Korea news media reports, officials of the National Intelligence Service (NIS) told the National Assembly Intelligence Committee that North Korea does not even seem to have completed fueling the object on the launch pad, contrary to The New York Times and most U.S. reporting.

blog.washingtonpost.com...

Ahh yes now this is interesting. However if this is an atempt to launch a satality, what has the ruler of N Kokea been telling the diplomats from Japan, south Korea, and China? But still and ICBM is an ICBM. No war head does not mean it is not capable of delivering one. If it goes into orbit and stays there great. Maby he can start launching satalites instead of enriching fishionable material.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I think it's an act to provoke the rest of the world to show that they are still there, nothing more.

But some U.S. officials said suggestions of an imminent missile launch were based on incomplete intelligence and satellite photos pointed to nothing conclusive, the Washington Post reported on Tuesday.

North Korea's Foreign Ministry regards the issue of a long-range missile test as one "not bound by any statement such as the Pyongyang Declaration", Ri Pyong-dok, a deputy chief-level researcher at the ministry's Asian Affairs division told Japanese reporters on Tuesday, Kyodo news agency reported.

The Pyongyang Declaration was an agreement reached in 2002 between Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi and North Korean leader Kim Jong-il.

reuters.com

[edit on 20-6-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   
So now it's get REALLY interesting.

The US is threathning North Korea for testing a Nuke, but he look what they did last month

HONOLULU - For the first time, a Navy ship at sea successfully shot down a long-range missile in its final seconds of flight, the military said Wednesday.

The test was seen as an important step toward giving ships the ability to shoot down weapons as they are about to hit their targets. Until now, the Standard Missile 2 was only launched from ships to intercept a long-range missile in the early or middle stage of flight.

For the test, a missile fired from the Pacific Missile Range Facility on Kauai was destroyed in its final stage by an SM-2 launched from USS Lake Erie.

May 25, 2006.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Of course no one say anything about that!

[edit on 20/6/2006 by rai76]

mod edit to apply external quote code

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   
This has been a threat before and it will always be a threat; especially to the west coast. Bush was just visiting here in Washington State; a few days ago if I remember right. He was in Vegas in April (I was there and had to wait on the runway for about an hour). Anyone here of any recent visits to Cali? Not trying to start a panic or anything, just curious.

www.cnn.com...

Hmm, we started our war games again.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
Ace:

And therein lies the major problem with this; the US doesn't see eye to eye with anyone else in the world, except Great Britain and sometimes Russia. China's in our back pocket ONLY because we are their biggest financial supporter.

Regardless of my previous statements, I do feel the same way about people in general as you do. I don't want to kill millions of innocent people for no good reason. Those people did nothing wrong that I can think of, aside from allowing a corrupt regime to come to power. Sometimes, that kind of thing cannot be helped.

However, what I was saying in my last post is what I would do in the event that someone attacked my country with nuclear weapons. I'd have to respond. To sit and do nothing makes me an accomplice to the act, and I cannot in good faith and patriotism, do that to my fellow Americans, Humanity in general, nor my country. To do any less than responding, quelling the threat permanently, and reestablishing control of the situation would be grounds for Treason.

I don't know how anyone else feels regarding this post, but you need not defend your beliefs to me. I respect them as much as I would want you to respect mine. Beliefs are formed by life experiences and your life experiences are no less valid than my own. The fact that you hate no one actually makes me appreciate and relate to your stance, as it tells me this would not be a light decision in this situation.

The only place we differ is on the concept of nationality, because in my mind nations are merely invisible lines imagined into being around large groups of people adhering to differing ideologies and agendas. I don't even see the borders. They literally do not exist to me. That sense of universality, for me, takes precedence over all pragmatic concerns, because when attacked, I don't see an external entity taking up arms against me, but rather, myself taking up arms against me. One day people sat down and said to themselves, "alright, this is going to be this arbitrary thing called a country now, with arbitrary borders and structures," as if they magically conjured it into being. That doesn't invalidate its existence, but it does make it invisible if you don't see with their eyes.

I can offer a compromise though by saying that I do feel our current diplomatic capabilities are nowhere near as robust - economically, politically, emotionally, psychologically, and in every other way - as our military capabilities, and as such my beliefs in practice aren't yet feasible, to say the least.

mod edit to shorten quote

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by rai76
So now it's get REALLY interesting.

The US is threathning North Korea for testing a Nuke, but he look what they did last month

Of course no one say anything about that!

[edit on 20/6/2006 by rai76]

First North Korea isn't firing a nuke. It is firing a missile that might possibly be able to carry a nuclear bomb.

Second. Why should anyone say anything about the US testing a DEFENSIVE anti-missle system? It is the very system that I was referring to earlier when I said that the US should park an Aegis cruiser off North Korea and shootdown this missile.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 10:32 AM
link   
The Taep'o-dong-2 is not capable of reaching the lower 48, unless new upgrades have been made to the missile. Even then it could not carry a nuclear payload and still have that kind of range. With a non-nuclear payload it could potentially reach most of Alaska and maybe Hawaii. All this duck-and-cover crap is unnecessary to say the least, its nothing but uninformed media coverage designed to get as many viewers as possible.

Anyhow if it is launched the US will know within seconds, DSP satellites in space will detect the heat plume associated with an ICBM launch. Then EW ground based radars, space systems, and probably AEGIS ships will track and target the missile once in flight and until is falls in the pacific.

However you should know that North Korea is just using this "missile card" to get attention focused on its nuclear program. They see that Iran is receiving 'concessions' by playing hardball while NK suffers from sanctions, they hope this will change the status-quo in their favor. Now, like I said before if they actually proceed with a launch I suspect the missile will splash somewhere in the pacific and not land on any Japanese or US territories. I doubt their intention is to start a war.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
First North Korea isn't firing a nuke. It is firing a missile that might possibly be able to carry a nuclear bomb.

Second. Why should anyone say anything about the US testing a DEFENSIVE anti-missle system? It is the very system that I was referring to earlier when I said that the US should park an Aegis cruiser off North Korea and shootdown this missile.

Till now they didn't fire anything.

Well the whole point is that everything is might. Because till now it is uncertain what they are doing, it could be easaly a satellite test or whatever and there's a big fuss for nothing, which I believe it is. I believe the leader of North Korea is just playing a big game and is laughing his teeth's out of his mouth. He just want attention.

Neverteless, as I said before he is not that stupid to fire a missle to the US with nuclear stuff in it. It will be they end of his little empire. Whatever hey maybe will launch, don't really think you need to worry about. He is just playing games.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
MSNBC just reported that the U.S. has activated its defense system!!!! New here and not sure how to post a link.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Did Anybody Bother To Read the Post I Wrote?

Hello?!?

US Goverment HELPED North Korea to obtain 2 light-water nuclear reactors!

Prison Planet

The company that got the contract to deliver equipment and services to build the two light water reactor stations was ABB (Asea Brown Boveri), which describes itself as, “a leader in power and automation technologies that enable utility and industry customers to improve performance while lowering environmental impact.” The contract was valued at $200 million and was signed in January 2000.

It should not surprise us that our old friend Donald Rumsfeld, the man who paved the way for U.S. companies to sell Iraq chemical and biological weapons in 1983, was an executive director for ABB from 2000-2001. Rumsfeld resigned when he was appointed U.S. Secretary of Defense. Wolfram Eberhardt, a spokesman for ABB confirmed that Rumsfeld was at nearly all the board meetings during his involvement with the company. The meetings were held quarterly in Zurich, Switzerland. However, Rumsfeld again displays his uncanny ability to forget things in stating that he ‘doesn’t remember’ the issue of North Korea being brought before the ABB board. Swiss Info concluded,

“Rumsfeld’s position at ABB could prove embarrassing for the Bush administration since while he was a director he was also active on issues of weapons proliferation, chairing the 1998 congressional Ballistic Missile Threat commission.”

President Bush publicly claims to loathe Kim Jong-Il and yet his administration, like Bill Clinton before him, has armed North Korea to the teeth with anything up to and beyond 200 nuclear bombs.

Interesting ey?

Just keep that in mind, so you know How North Korea got their hands on a Nuke.

And don't forget they already Landed One on Alaska!

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Here's the link. Although I doubt we will see Ground Based Interceptors (GBI) used its better to be safe than sorry.

U.S. Activates Missile Defense System

SEOUL, South Korea - The United States has moved its ground-based interceptor missile defense system from test mode to operational amid concerns over an expected North Korean missile launch, a U.S. defense official said Tuesday.

“It’s good to be ready,” the official told Reuters news agency. The step was first reported late Monday by NBC News and was reported in Tuesday's Washington Times newspaper.

The Pentagon and U.S. State Department have said a North Korean missile launch would be seen as “provocative.”

While military officials also note the United States has a limited missile defense system — 12 interceptor missiles in Alaska and California — they have so far declined to comment on any details about the capabilities or potential use of the system to intercept a North Korean missile.

Link

[edit on 20-6-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Thanks westpoint23. I did not realise it but someone has already started a thread on this.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
How come no-one knows exactly whats screwed onto the front of that missile?Is there no way to tell if it is actually a sattelite,a warhead, or a crash test dummy?

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I have done my research. If North Korea were to attack Japan with conventional weapons or to try to invade, Japan could defend itself very well. However, that wasn't what I said.

My quote was: "If North Korea starts lobbing missiles Japan doesn't have the ability to eliminate that threat."
Because of the limitations in its Constitution Japan doesn't have that capability.

I think you'll find that they can do what any other nation can do in the situation of "self defence". They would be as capable as any other developed nation at taking out Korean missile sites. They have a powerful navy and airforce, more than able to bomb the daylights out of Korea if the situation demanded.

Even if they were hamstrung into only attacking targets within the territtorial limits of Japan due to their laws, I would highly doubt the Japanese people would care too much if they were getting missiled every day. But as it stands, the Japanese constitution allows them to do what they need in a situation of self defence.

[edit on 20/6/06 by stumason]

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite8

Let's make this interesting. The US needs to park an Aegis cruiser off of North Korea and shoot down the missile as soon as it is in international airspace. That would make on hell of a statement.

It sure would be nice to know which direction they will be testing that weapon in, if they really plan to test it. I would love to see the USA run a test out in international waters by trying to shoot it out of the sky. Past tests they have had were largely unsuccessful.

There is a good chance that they already know the capacity of this missle and are not testing anything, but rather arming it and preparing it for use. That isn't to say that they are you going to use it, but they will be displaying their ability to wage war if provoked. Either way, it is a big political statement, whether this info was leaked or not.

Well JimC it looks like the US is going to prepare to shoot this thing down. Just released story on CNN, The US has activated its missle defense system in South Korea.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite8

Well JimC it looks like the US is going to prepare to shoot this thing down. Just released story on CNN, The US has activated its missle defense system in South Korea.

I'd say that it would depend on the missile's flight path whether the US tries to shoot it down or not. I just had a thought that the US might track the missile and then recover the debris for analysis.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I'd say that it would depend on the missile's flight path whether the US tries to shoot it down or not. I just had a thought that the US might track the missile and then recover the debris for analysis.

Makes sense that. At least you'd know for sure the range and capabilities of the thing. Seems to me every report gives it different ranges and what exactly it can carry.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Does anyone have the Google Earth coordinates to the launch site? I'm sure it's an outdated image, but I can't seem to find the launchpad. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Hey all. I'm new here and just thought I'd share. There's been some debate as to whether or not the U.S. should consider shooting down any missle launched during the "test". According to ABC News, turns out this is a real consideration from the Bush Administration...

U.S Weighs Shootdown of N. Korean Missle

On the web site, there's a black and white satellite photo from the AP of the launch site in the northern part of the country. I've included a link for anyone interested in looking

If this is irrelevant or whatnot I apologize in advance. I'm still trying to learn the ropes. Hope people find this useful

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by cobaltsurfer
U.S Weighs Shootdown of N. Korean Missle

On the web site, there's a black and white satellite photo from the AP of the launch site in the northern part of the country. I've included a link for anyone interested in looking

Thanks for that image. Its not google earth location but it still might help us find it on google
so far have not found it on google but if I do I will let all of you know.
If this is irrelevant or whatnot I apologize in advance. I'm still trying to learn the ropes. Hope people find this useful

mod edit to fix quote tags

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join