It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ayatollah Khomeini's Grandson: The US Should Overthrow Iranian Regime

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Hossein Khomeini, the grandson of the late Ayatollah Khomeini, has called for the United States to overthrow the Iranian regime. He told interviewers that Iran will secure real power by embracing freedom and democracy, not weapons. It's not the first time Hossein Khomeini has called for the United States to intervene militarily in his country, he called for armed action when he visited Washington DC and New York in 2003.

www.telegraph.co.uk
The grandson of Ayatollah Khomeini, the inspiration of Iran's 1979 Islamic Revolution, has broken a three-year silence to back the United States military to overthrow the country's clerical regime.

Hossein Khomeini's call is all the more startling as he made it from Qom, the spiritual home of Iran's Shia strand of Islam, during an interview to mark the 17th anniversary of the ayatollah's death.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This story is fascinating! How ironic would it be that a Khomeini caused a revolution by inviting the United States to meddle in its internal affairs? Would his grandfather approve, given that Hossein thinks his revolutionary ideals of freedom and democracy have been abused?

Iran is so multidimensional. Iraq's internal strife is positively bland when compared to Iran.

[edit on 18-6-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I wonder if we will have more support from the Iranian citizens then we do from our own. Exactly like what we have now in Iraq.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Iran is 90% Shia. Iraq was only 65% shia. The shia were all for the US invasion because Sunni repressive regime was in power. There is one major difference though. Irans government allows its people much more freedom then Saddam did. The people are oppressed, like they were in iraq. Overall it seems that the people in iran Have no real reason to be behind an invasion for democracy. It seems a great deal less likely that we will have support in iran anywhere close to the support we have in Iraq right now.

This guy word means little to me. The fact he is calling for another country to overthrow his to me should be considered treason. If we had a leader in our country during the 70's publically calling for the US to be overthrown by communist Russia, I doubt that would have been taken lightly.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Interesting opinion semper, but a simple numbers test would easily prove the contrary. Iraq's population is not that large. Perhaps you mean percentage wise, but then you would have the task of proving that Iraqis feel as such. Anyway, that conversation would just derail this thread I guess.

As far as the Iranian citizens go, they are much more opposed to American imperialism than they are to Ayatollah Khomeini. Though, the depressing conditions in Iran and the more liberal youth are starting to foment, though it's just a small sizzle as far as I know.

Operation Ajax is still in the hearts and minds of the Iranian people, and I doubt they will approve anything America does in their country....

Operation Ajax (1953) (officially TP-AJAX) was a covert operation by Great Britain and the United States to remove the democratic[1] cabinet of Iranian Prime Minister Mohammed Mossadegh from power, to support the Pahlavi dynasty and consolidate the power of Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi. The idea of overthrowing Mossadegh was conceived by the British. They originally asked President Truman for assistance, but he refused. When Eisenhower, a Republican, became president in 1953, the British proposed the idea once again, and this time, the Americans agreed to help.

en.wikipedia.org...

It is not the job of the US to decide who needs to be freed and bomb their country. If the Iranians want freedom and many of them do, they will want to bring it for themselves, both for their own glory and because the US is still considered as an enemy by many there. The US stole the independence of the Iraqis and this is not something dreamed of by many. Though, their freedom is.

[edit on 18-6-2006 by Jamuhn]

MBF

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I saw Iranians beg Dan Rather to ask the president to invade Iran and free them also on a 60 Munutes story, I think it was just before the Iraq war started. I think it was the same story that Hussein asked to have Bush debate him on TV.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Iran's citizenry may be against imperialism, or invasion. As well they should be. But they are not against change. An ever increasing number of the younger generation - and they are the ones who ultimately change things - are against incidents such as this:

Iran: Police Attack Women?s Day Celebration
(New York, March 9, 2006) ? Iranian police and plainclothes agents yesterday charged a peaceful assembly of women?s rights activists in Tehran and beat hundreds of women and men who had gathered to commemorate International Women?s Day, Human Rights Watch said today.
hrw.org...

Iran is currently an oppressive regime that fosters terrorism. The sooner this regime is gone, the better off the world will be.

top topics

join