It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New rabbit! HELP!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Oh gosh.

I've been talked into taking a rabbit or a breeder, cause she killed the babies so was unsuitable to breed of and he wasgoing to kill her. I havent owned one before.

She is SO nervous!!!

And yes I know this all sounds so stupid, if this was a nervous horse or dog i'd be working with it in a second. But I have no idea what i'm doing!

I've left it in my room in the carrying case and I have no idea how im supposed to get it into the hutch. I dont want to pick her up cause she jumps even when i touch her.

I'm having such a bad day and this is just not helping
!!!!

Any ADVICE would be appreaciated. any stoopid comments are not.. please

Blue x

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   
hmmm, I dont think it'll bite you. disclaimer: lysergic is not a professional animal handler and probably shouldnt be listened to

Just gotta get it use to you imo, hold it as much as you can, I caught wild rabbit one day disclaimer wild animals may carry diseases and it let me pick it up and hold it, it was scared out of its mind, but was letting me hold it so that was kew, I ended up just letting it go later that day.

i say hold the rabbit and let it get use to you, try hand feeding it a carrot or something.

did this help? probably not.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   
O.K., first get some carrots, potatoes,...just kidding.

Close the door to the room and let the rabbit out of the carrier. Stay in the room with it. If you can, close and secure all of the exterior exits and allow the rabbit to roam wherever it wishes.

The change in environment can be traumatic to animals. I've seen it when adopting dogs that have become used to other situations.

The poor thing needs to be acclimated as soon as possible. It also needs to see that its surroundings are safe.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Talk to it, it works with other critters and calms them down.

Also, if it bites or scratches, for the first few days, just bite down and deal with the pain, punishing it in it's first few days with you will make it nervous.

The main thing to remember though, is to make sure it doesn't get out, they take ages to find again!

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Rabbit Test

An important thing to keep in mind when dealing with rabbits is that they survive in the wild by being paranoid and running away from any potential threat.

Rabbits are not fighters, so they are adapted to flee from predators and are hard-wired to do so.

Thus when seeking to earn the trust of a rabbit, remember that its acceptance of you must occur over the objections of its instincts.

I agree with the idea of letting it roam around the room -- provided there are no ways it can escape, and that it won't be able hide somewhere that you can't reach. Bear in mind that all rodents are capable of fitting into surprisingly small places, and that rabbits are used to living in underground burrows.

They also tend to be nocturnal and will usually want to sleep during the day when they can.

If letting it out is not an option now (be advised that rabbits like to chew on things such as electrical cords and computer cables), just let it sit in its cage, and be sure to keep it well-supplied with water and food. Also, you may want to give the cage a little privacy as long as it doesn't restrict airflow.

Over time, it will get used to you and realize you're not a threat. This can take several days or even weeks if it's traumatized -- which sounds like the case here.

Most of all, try to be calm and not panic. Rabbits, being fellow mammals, can sense when you're tense, and it will tend to make them tense.

Just relax and enjoy the process of getting to know a new pet friend!

Caer Free

Oh, but one word of caution. Beware of this particular breed of rabbit:

They are known to be mildly aggressive when approached by people wearing armor.

Stay safe.

[edit on 6/18/2006 by Majic]

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Hold a piece of carrot and see if it eats it. If it does eat it out of your hand, it's a sign of trust. Also, like Zanzibar said, if it bites you don't scream or pull your hand away (unless it REALLY hurts) because then it knows it can hurt you, if you show no signs of pain then it'll know that it can't "win", for lack of a better term.

[edit on 20-6-2006 by xeroxed88]

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   
If it does'nt take the carrot, take the carrot and the rabbit, get a large pot.....

J/K

Let us know how things are going with the little critter

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
lmao @ Mechanic! Never tried rabbit stew, what's it like?

On another note, I'm getting 2 kittens soon, so I will be in a similar situation, only with two kittens, not one rabbit... yeah, I'll be quiet now.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by xeroxed88
lmao @ Mechanic! Never tried rabbit stew, what's it like?

On another note, I'm getting 2 kittens soon, so I will be in a similar situation, only with two kittens, not one rabbit... yeah, I'll be quiet now.

I don't think kittens would taste very good.

I did'nt say that!

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   
In a bit of irony, if you will..... my wife and I bought a rabbit for easter many years ago who we named Babs. She was one of those black and white ones. We would let her out of her cage and she would jump up on the couch (like a cat) and lay down next to either me or my wife. IF, however, SHE was NOT READY to go BACK IN HER CAGE..... she would CHARGE AT YOU and make a LOUD HISSING NOISE that would scare the chit out of you
!

Good luck with yours!

Dave

new topics

top topics

join