It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS cultural minute : 30 most famous paints :

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 08:37 AM
link   
This is it, the top 30 of most famous paint in the world :

www.artcyclopedia.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I'm rather shocked... I've heard of them all (even met Lichtenstein, he was having a show in a gallery upstairs from our student exhibition at Florida State, and we crashed the party...
) except for:

5 Frida Kahlo 50
6 Diego Rivera 46

Never heard of them...
Will have to look at their work.... The Ringling Museum near me in Sarasota has the largest private collection of Rubens' work. If you've never gotten to a museum, and seen these works in person, you're really missing out... Pictures just don't do these works justice... Likewise, the Dali Museum is also closeby...(that guy wasn't right in the head, hehe...)

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I'm rather shocked... I've heard of them all (even met Lichtenstein, he was having a show in a gallery upstairs from our student exhibition at Florida State, and we crashed the party...
) except for:

5 Frida Kahlo 50
6 Diego Rivera 46
Never heard of them...
Will have to look at their work.... The Ringling Museum near me in Sarasota has the largest private collection of Rubens' work. If you've never gotten to a museum, and seen these works in person, you're really missing out... Pictures just don't do these works justice... Likewise, the Dali Museum is also closeby...(that guy wasn't right in the head, hehe...)

I dont know about Diego RIVIERA but Frida Kahlo...
You live on what planet, gazrock ? Recently, there is a movie issued about the life of Frida Kahlo with Salma AYEK in the role of Frida.

www.imdb.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I odnt know these ones :

Diego Rivera 46
17 Robert Mapplethorpe 22
21 Gustav Klimt 19
22 Mary Cassatt 18

23 Jackson Pollock (It's like frida kalho, the only reason I know hime is that recently issued a movie about his life) 18

25 Roy Lichtenstein 17
28 Maxfield Parrish 15
29 Robert Rauschenberg 15
-----------------------------------------

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Hehe...seriously, never heard of her...but the film reference makes sense now...I remember hearing about it....

Just looked at some of her work... Honestly, I've never seen it before. I suppose she is so searched for, because of the film... Her work has a "Goughin" feel to it...imho. Interesting...but not my cup of tea...

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I was sure that the words "Salma HAYEK" will wake your memory.

I'm not a plastical arts fan, so I cant judge of the talent of a painter.
Graffitti art, it's all I like.
I'm surprised that lee, seen, futura2000, Jon 156 or Mode2 are not on that list...

I didn't saw Keith HARRING too...
and also Jean-Michel BASQUIAT.

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Robert Mapplethorpe....
Isn't he the guy who got a lot of flack for having nude photos of men with bullwhips sticking into/out of their butts? Art is art, but a bullwhip in an a** is just a bit too much art for me. Is it just me?

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 10:21 AM
link   
We need this kind of stuff here, it infuses the soul to something interesting and makes a perfect harmony for my corpus callosum. Ahhh yes! good stuff!

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Robert Mapplethorpe....
Isn't he the guy who got a lot of flack for having nude photos of men with bullwhips sticking into/out of their butts? Art is art, but a bullwhip in an a** is just a bit too much art for me. Is it just me?

You are correct. Sad thing is, he has a lot of photographic talent, but his choice of subject matter is, to be frank...disgusting.

Cassat is one of yours Nans, surprised you never heard of her...

Never cared for Pollock...looks like he took a bunch of worms out of paint cans, and just let them all wriggle around....certainly required no talent...

I'd encourage others to learn about Picasso. Most think he simply couldn't paint realistically well, but his early work is very realistic, and the talent is easy to see...may give some a better appreciation of abstract art and cubism...

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Whoever said picasso didn't have talent shoud be burned at the stake.

I still prefer is unrealistic painting.

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 11:09 AM
link   
heard of pretty much all of them..(allthough i dont know all of thier work)

out of that list i would say i view..

picasso
dali
and da vinci (not for his painting's his inventions)

are the ones i consider the most tallented..creative

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 11:35 AM
link   
As a big fan of the Baroque period (both in art and music), I love Rubens' work...

Rembrandt is another fave of mine, and I was fortunate enough to see a large collection of his work in Amsterdam (the Rijksmuseum I believe it was called...I was just out of 7th grade at the time, so a little fuzzy there...).

I too like DaVinci more for his inventions and contributions to science. He was a talented technical painter and could render well, but there is no passion in his artwork...unlike his sketches of science, which do show passion....

I didn't appreciate Dali much until seeing the local museum...but it's impressive....

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I like modern arts, impressionism, surealism...These kind of stuff.

I also have a great respect to Jerominus BOSCH, an hollander painter from the middle-age who is really...great.

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 12:20 PM
link   
And also INGRES, CEZANNE, FRAGONNARD, LE TITIEN (TITIAN), VELASQUEZ, TOULOUSE-LAUTREC, CHAGALL, MATISSE...

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Master Leonardo da Vinci and his eternal trick

Shroud of Turin...

Just after Hieronymus Bosch with his vision

Ship of fools...

Almost all impressionsts....

top topics

join