It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

URGENT!! I'm a Dep Recruit for the USN and need help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Hi!

Here's the problem....I joined the Navy over a month and half ago...and I've been given an assingment to memorize the eleven General Orders, which is a sinch...but the thing is!...My recruiter never told me about a physical pre-test before going into boot camp!.....this is what they test you for, THAT I KNOW OF....

1: 50 Push Ups in under 2 minutes ( I can barely do a push up on an incline...let alone on the ground....I've been really struggling...with push ups since I have never worked out my upper body before!!!)

2: A mile and a half in under 15 minutes (Which I find to be extremely simple....I can walk that ahah)

3: 50 Crunches?... in under 2 minutes ( Which I'm pretty...unsure weather or not I could do since...I'm pretty out of shape....)

Theirs other stuff aswell...but the problem is...that the test is this upcoming wednesday.....My recruiter isn't one for details...He should have told me this over a year ago..when I first met him.

I've been "running" lately, my question is...does running work out not only your legs but your abs aswell?....is this correct?

I've also been attempting more push ups.....I'm still struggling with them though, I'm very un even on them ...for example I start falling too quickly on one side over the other.... And I'm pretty shakey at doing them....My recruiter is expecting a lot from..me and I don't want to let him down......and I really would like to Join the Reserves...I don't want to have some push ups preventing me to become a Naval Intel Offc/Cryptotech......

Is their any other exercises I should be doing???? Please...Help...Any would be appreciated...and if you need any clarifying on anything...just ask...thanks..I'm pretty nervous at the moment...

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
31 Views and not one reply

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Start running man. Sounds to me that you may be overweight. If you fail the initial PFT they're not going to send you back home...you'll probably go to a physical conditioning platoon or whatever the Navy calls it. And there you'll get into shape and back into the action before you know it.

But yeah...Run dude. It helps cardio and you'll lose all that extra weight that's probably holding you back from doing push-ups and crunches. You may want to also start doing push-ups and crunches...alot of 'em too just to get you in shape.

Talk to your recruiter, he can probably give you a good work out schedule.

Good luck

[edit on 19/6/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Well I hate to be the barer of bad news, but if your test is on the 21st there is nothing that can whip you into shape in the time aloted...sorry. But as what was said by SportyMB start running! In the mean time if you are strugling like you say you are with regular push ups start developing the muscle needed by doing them on your knees and work your way up to normal ones. Once you have normal push ups down you can move to an incline (feet up on a chair/exercise ball), and closer palmed push ups (diamond). When you roll out of bed drop down and do 20 and before bed drop down and do 20 again. Weight lifting helps also i.e. bench press, incline, tricep extensions, dips, and lat pull downs. Since I have started my own program I am able to do 1 every second of 40 reps= 40 seconds and 4 sets with 30 second rest in between. Doing 50 push ups in 2 minutes will be no problem once you work up to it. Pretty much a lot of running will help you achieve your goals along with 64 ounces of water per day!

Sorry I couldn't help you sooner

-Dagger

[edit on 20-6-2006 by Dagger]

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I'm 4 pounds overweight for my height, good news is...he forgot about the test today hahahaha, So I just worked out the entire day.....Yea I've been running lately....It's not that i'm extremely out of shape or anything....I used to play soccer for 5 years hahaha, it's just that havn't been physically active...for the past 2 years....So it's all coming back right now to bite me in the rear end....appreicate the help guys!!

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I always thought the whole point of boot camp (or whatever the navy calls it) is to get you into shape.

with enlistment supposedly at all time lows, I would also think they'd be happy to take anyone who isn't physically unable to perform the necessary duties.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nephi
Hi!

Here's the problem....I joined the Navy over a month and half ago...and I've been given an assingment to memorize the eleven General Orders, which is a sinch...but the thing is!...My recruiter never told me about a physical pre-test before going into boot camp!.....this is what they test you for, THAT I KNOW OF....

1: 50 Push Ups in under 2 minutes ( I can barely do a push up on an incline...let alone on the ground....I've been really struggling...with push ups since I have never worked out my upper body before!!!)

2: A mile and a half in under 15 minutes (Which I find to be extremely simple....I can walk that ahah)

3: 50 Crunches?... in under 2 minutes ( Which I'm pretty...unsure weather or not I could do since...I'm pretty out of shape....)

Theirs other stuff aswell...but the problem is...that the test is this upcoming wednesday.....My recruiter isn't one for details...He should have told me this over a year ago..when I first met him.

I've been "running" lately, my question is...does running work out not only your legs but your abs aswell?....is this correct?

I've also been attempting more push ups.....I'm still struggling with them though, I'm very un even on them ...for example I start falling too quickly on one side over the other.... And I'm pretty shakey at doing them....My recruiter is expecting a lot from..me and I don't want to let him down......and I really would like to Join the Reserves...I don't want to have some push ups preventing me to become a Naval Intel Offc/Cryptotech......

Is their any other exercises I should be doing???? Please...Help...Any would be appreciated...and if you need any clarifying on anything...just ask...thanks..I'm pretty nervous at the moment...

I think someone is pulling your leg. Unless you are trying to be a SEAL or something like that .

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
I think someone is pulling your leg. Unless you are trying to be a SEAL or something like that .

Noone is trying to pull his leg. All branches have a minimum requirement that recruits must be able to do before starting boot camp. The minimum standards Nephi posted about can be found
here.

Nephi, how's it coming along? Any progress in the past few days?

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB

Noone is trying to pull his leg. All branches have a minimum requirement that recruits must be able to do before starting boot camp. The minimum standards Nephi posted about can be found
here.

Yea, I biked 2 miles...worked out my triceps...trying to go back to my Soccer Diet..of the past hahaha.

Appreicate the help

That's a cool Site you linked there, As long as I get in ...that's all I care....I get a 20,000 dollar signup bonus by November hahahaha.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB

here.

Those are the standards for completion of boot camp and for the annual PFT for active and reserve personel. While it doesn't hurt for Nephi to prepare himself, there are no minimums for ADMISSION to boot camp. While in boot camp Nephi will have daily PT to help him meet those minimums. They have PT evaluations spaced throughout boot camp and if he is having trouble he may be assigned remedial PT. I've been there and done that.

How long are you going to be in DEP Nephi? If you have a few months it wouldn't hurt to start a personal PT program. Just be careful not to get hurt.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I ship out on the 19th of July....so the 19th
Hopefully I get out of boot camp as an E2...well Off I go to work out, later guys.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Hopefully I get out of boot camp as an E2...well Off I go to work out, later guys.

What rate are you getting? I was an Aviation Machinst Mate and Aircrew for five years. Finished up as an E-5.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   

What rate are you getting? I was an Aviation Machinst Mate and Aircrew for five years. Finished up as an E-5.

If you would really like to know, message me over AOL at ldsrichie .

[edit on 22-6-2006 by Nephi]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Hey Nephi: CTR DEPPER right here.... Are you female? just wondering cause your requirements are way different then mine.

I have to do 37 push-ups in 2 min, 42 curl ups (crunches), and a 13:30 1.5 mile run. All of this info was either given to you in your handbook, or possibly when you passed the physical at MEPS. As far as push-ups dont worry i was a football player turned druggie and when i enlisted I could only do like 5 pushups lol. Lost over 100 pushups in a 2 year time. Now i ripout 70 in 2 min no prob. a 15 minute mile and a half is practicly walking. Just get in the gym, do lots of stretching, and long distance jogging. It doesnt take anything less then about 2 months of work and youll be fine
. Of course consult your doctor and all that! GL!!

BTW: I'll be in Pensecola/Corry Station you?

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:22 PM
link   
There is no requirement for recruitment other than ASVAB (intelligence test), weight test and general health. Are you entering boot camp or preparing? If you're worried about boot camp, then just follow your DI. If he is worth a damn, he'll make sure you pass the physical requirement. He'll push you to the limit. You might not like it at times.

If you are preparing then run, run alot. Much less stress and never give up. They will and should test you.

[edit on 26-7-2006 by notbuynit]

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
hey,
if u can do push ups in 25 rep intervals do like 8 sets take time to rest between each one.
Get some chin ups and pullups in too, say 2 sets of 10?
To build your abs to some basic crunches with or without weight and don't forget bicyles
If u can get in a weight room do some dips and horizontal pullups

Best of luck man ( if u need anything else u2u me)

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Nephi is on active duty, based on his earlier post, so he won't be needing anymore advice from us.

I just hope he comes back to tell us all about his "excellent adventure."

new topics

top topics

join