It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human Rights Lawyer Kicked Out of Israel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   
British human rights defender Kate Maynard was detained by Israeli Secret Service (Shin Bet) on May 24 and denied entry into Israel because she was deemed "a security threat to the state".

After being questioned by Israeli officers at Heathrow airport, Maynard was detained at Ben Gurion Airport and deported.

Ms Maynard was subjected to intensive and intrusive questioning – she was unable to answer many of the questions, as to do so would have breached professional privilege (i.e. the duty of confidentiality she owes to her clients). The officials were not satisfied with her answers – and their questions revealed that they were disturbed by her involvement in obtaining an arrest warrant last September against alleged war criminal Maj. Gen. Doron Almog[2] and collecting evidence against other high ranking Israeli officials.

Link to Article

Maynard had assisted in launching war crimes charges against Israeli officer Major-General (reserve) Doron Almog relating to his service as OC Southern Command from 2000 to 2003.

For many years, most cases of killings, punitive house demolitions and torture in the occupied Palestinian territories have not been the subject of criminal investigations, let alone prosecutions, in Israel. Therefore, lawyers from the Palestinian Centre for Human Rights looked abroad for remedies to these alleged “international crimes”.

Link to Article

Israel does itself no favours in applying this double standard concerning human rights, adding the denial of entry to an individual who was to have taken part in an International Human Rights conference to a long list on war crimes denials.

List of Wanted Israeli War Criminals

I guess that if you only cover the "correct" human rights abuses will you be given entry to Israel.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Thanks for bringing the article to the boards attention. It's another example in the long line of human rights abuses carried out by Israel. The time when Israel is held accountable for their many crimes will one day come, and I for one will be glad.

Using the memory of the holocaust to carry out human rights abuses is a travesty and should be vehemently opposed by any one with a conscience. The holocaust was a tragedy, not an excuse to persecute Palestinians with impunity.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Israel can deny entry to anybody it wants to.

If I remember right Snoop Dog the rapper is banned from the UK for a stupid incident at Heathrow airport.

Where are his rights to enter back in the UK? Snoop was an ass, but banned for life.....seems harsh.

If you have an stamp on your passport for entering Israel you can not enter many Arab countries.

Is that fair?

The Israeli's did not want someone in their country that they feel would is trying to go against them in some way and maybe a frivilous attempt in other countries courts to get war crimes prosecuted.. The UK is stopping Snoop Dog from entering the UK again from a precieved threat.

I would like to know who started these war crimes allegations? Were they individuals in each country trying to get a case against certain Israelis, and a lawyer on a certain political view agrees to try to prosecute this, and get in the papers. I am just asking for more details.

Snoop Dog would say "Fa Shizzle ma zizzle" to all of this.

[edit on 20-6-2006 by sbob]

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by sbob
If I remember right Snoop Dog the rapper is banned from the UK for a stupid incident at Heathrow airport.

I hardly think this case compares. Snoop and his entourage started a brawl in Heathrow airport, quite a foolish act considering the security measures that have been introduced in the last few years.

Kate Maynards only crime is to pursue a war criminal in Israel. This, after she was invited to the country as a speaker at an International Human Rights conference. No hypocrisy there.

If you have an stamp on your passport for entering Israel you can not enter many Arab countries.

These countries do not pertain to be the most democratic country in the Mid-East

The Israeli's did not want someone in their country that they feel would is trying to go against them in some way and maybe a frivilous attempt in other countries courts to get war crimes prosecuted.

A frivolous attempt? There are cases of human rights abuses by Israel that have brought condemnation from the U.N. and still the Israeli government does nothing to curb these actions.

U.N. Criticizes Israel

I would like to know who started these war crimes allegations? Were they individuals in each country trying to get a case against certain Israelis, and a lawyer on a certain political view agrees to try to prosecute this, and get in the papers.

These accusations come from those oppressed people (palestinians) who are having atrocities committed against them. When the Israeli government will not act on these well documented crimes, international assistance must be sought.

I am just asking for more details.

Reading the links supplied in the first post would have helped.

[edit on 21-6-2006 by Beelzebubba]

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 08:39 AM
link   
You quoted hyposicracy....That is an opinion from you, and not fact.

I wanted a discussion, but you decided you are going to look down and educate me to your view, and telling me, and playing the quote game. Like when you said if I read the first line of your post and you put a smiley icon that was a dig. This is smugness posting that makes me laugh, and not respect you.

It is also quite funny how you brushed off the Irsael passport stamping issue, as"most mid east democratic countries in the middle east. That is discrimination, when you are talking about rights. Do you want rights our are you against them? Or just one sides?

You are obviously intelligent and passionate, but please don't try to be all superior.

I also said "maybe" a frivilous attempt. But pile on dude, as you have your agenda to lash out.

You bet Israel has done bad things. Why are no Palestinian war crimes mentioned by you. They are perfect?

I agree it is cheesy Israel kicked this person out, but it can do waht it wants.

Aren't past suicide bombers that Hamas did in Israel war crimes on innoncent civilians in restaurants and buses? They are now in power in Palestine, why are not they being sought out. Where is the Israeli families British human rights lawyer, and UN condemnation.

I want to do a few of these to get the smug factor up to you!

If you read my post a few of the items like "maybe frivilous"
I guess you can't read.

And glossing over the passport issue discrimination
as most democratic countries allow them.

All right lets get some more quotes.

Here is a link stating Israeli war crimes And Palestinian crimes against humanity!
Be fair and balanced! But I do not expect it.
link to article

This is another good link on the subject
Discussion on Israel & Palestine

The problem is both sides are jerks Israel and Palestine. The innoncents keep dying on BOTH sides, because no one has the balls to give peace a chance.

[edit on 21-6-2006 by sbob]

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
sbob,
I do apologise for being snarky, but as you stated I am very passionate about what is going on in Palestine. In reviewing my post I realise that I was rather rude.

The reason I mention no supposed Palestinian war crimes is because the Palestinian people did not impose themselves on another country and begin a doctrine of genocide.

Another reason is because Palestinian terrorism has received more than it's share of media coverage.

It saddens me that innocent Israeli's are suffering the brunt of Palestinian terrorism, terrorism that is the only recourse for a people who are under-equipped, and in despair, lashing out in the only way that they see as effective.

Even Jewish commentators like Noam Chomsky and Norman Finkelstein agree that a doctrine of ethnic cleansing was imposed upon the Palestinian people in 1948.

About the passport issue; Israel maintains that it is a civilised, democratic, western culture that is situated in the Mid-East. A leading light in the Mid-East, so to speak.

Countries like Saudi Arabia do not try to act like they are a democratic nation, nor Pakistan, nor many other Muslim nations. You just have to look at the barbaric punishments meted out for crimes in those countries.

As for Hamas, this may interest you:

Let us not forget that it was Israel, which in fact created Hamas. According to Zeev Sternell, historian at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, "Israel thought that it was a smart ploy to push the Islamists against the Palestinian Liberation Organisation (PLO)".

Hamas and the Mossad

The video link below shows a debate between Norman Finkelstein and Wolf Blazer concerning the Israeli push toward portraying the PLO as a terrorist organisation.

Finkelstein vs. Blitzer

new topics

top topics

join