It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

gods in dimensions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I live in Decatur, Alabama I believe that aliens exist. That the government does things they do not tell us about and that they're just a bunch of assholes.

Me and my friend Daniel Moore came up with this religious theory. If someone else has thought of this we did not steal their idea I have better things to do.

We think that Yahweh, God, Jehovah (whatever you want to call him) is the supreme creator of the universe. In several passages in the Bible it says not to worship idols or any sculpted image. For example:

"You must not have any other god but me."
Exodus 20:4

"You must not make for yourself an idol of any kind or an image of anything in the heavens or on the earth or in the sea. You must not bow down to them or worship them, for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God who will not tolerate your affection for any other gods. I lay the sins of the parents upon the children; the entire family is affected-even children in the third and forth generations of those who reject me. But I lavish unfailing love for a thousand generations on those who love me and obey my commands."
Exodus 20 4-6

Why would God be jealous of bits of metal and would if they did not represent real entities? Why would he say other gods so much?

Me and my friend believe that God is the chief god and there are other gods in different dimensions. But we are supposed to worship God the most powerful god.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   
interesting, that is a theory that has been discussed elsewhere but good observations and its nice that your thinking about these things and came to the theory by yourself. Personally, i believe that you can take the scriptures in the bible literally or figuratively. If you believe that Yaweh or the god of the bible is the true GOD that rules over everything and that there are lesser gods, why would he even be Jealous at all? A theory i have is that when God said this, God was relating something to people who could'nt really concieve of what God's true intentions were by wanting them to only worship him and no others. If God is all powerful then there is nothing he needs from us, he is neither selfish or unselfish because what he gives us, we could never repay to him. I think that God wanted us to essentially be happy, and depending on weather or not you take a theological viewpoint on this, you could say that happiness can only be achieved by the means or through God. Therefore in order to be happy, which is what God wants, we should look to things that are related to him, such as goodness which makes us feel that way.

an interesting read that you might want to check out which illustrates a whole idea of alternate realities and different Gods, sub gods etc can be found in the "Urantria book" which is probably talked about somewhere here on ATS. Nice topic though

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Judaism - the tradition of those who put the Bible together - were clearly a polytheistic religious tradition. There are many places in the Old Testament that indicate the existence of other gods such as Baal, the "us" who were to investigate the Tower of Babel, the "let us create man in our image" in Genesis, etc. It wasn't until the second book of Isaiah, while the Jews were in Babylon and experiencing in a very direct way the gods of the Babylonians, that they began to conceive of a single God and began their journey towards a monotheistic religion. This was in about 580 B.C., which, when you consider the probable age of the earliest writings, is a very late period in the religion. This is also the time that the Torah was put together, according to most scholars of repute. If you're interested in doing some reading do a search on the "Documentary Hypothesis" and a book called "Who Wrote the Bible" by Richard Friedman - the book is not, by any means, a scholarly study but it does touch on some important points and can serve as a good background to further investigation as long as you don't take it too seriously.
Do some serious investigating if you're curious, and I guarantee you will find something that will astound and fascinate you. The history of religon is the history of humanity and the Bible that we have today is the preserver of many voices, not just the procalimer of one - which is something we can learn from. Take a look at the story of Noah -- in one part it says he took animals two by two (the most popular element of the story), but that same story also contains a section where it says Noah took animals seven by seven = there were two stories that were combined into one and the two different stories were written by a priestly caste who believed in animal sacrifice (the seven by seven author) and another priestly caste who did not (the two by two author). In Babylon,during the exhile in the 500's B.C. these stories were combined and the Torah created from many smaller and independently written books = the genesis of monotheism.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Judaism - the tradition of those who put the Bible together - were clearly a polytheistic religious tradition. There are many places in the Old Testament that indicate the existence of other gods such as Baal, the "us" who were to investigate the Tower of Babel, the "let us create man in our image" in Genesis, etc. It wasn't until the second book of Isaiah, while the Jews were in Babylon and experiencing in a very direct way the gods of the Babylonians, that they began to conceive of a single God and began their journey towards a monotheistic religion. This was in about 580 B.C., which, when you consider the probable age of the earliest writings, is a very late period in the religion. This is also the time that the Torah was put together, according to most scholars of repute. If you're interested in doing some reading do a search on the "Documentary Hypothesis" and a book called "Who Wrote the Bible" by Richard Friedman - the book is not, by any means, a scholarly study but it does touch on some important points and can serve as a good background to further investigation as long as you don't take it too seriously.
Do some serious investigating if you're curious, and I guarantee you will find something that will astound and fascinate you. The history of religon is the history of humanity and the Bible that we have today is the preserver of many voices, not just the procalimer of one - which is something we can learn from. Take a look at the story of Noah -- in one part it says he took animals two by two (the most popular element of the story), but that same story also contains a section where it says Noah took animals seven by seven = there were two stories that were combined into one and the two different stories were written by a priestly caste who believed in animal sacrifice (the seven by seven author) and another priestly caste who did not (the two by two author). In Babylon,during the exhile in the 500's B.C. these stories were combined and the Torah created from many smaller and independently written books = the genesis of monotheism.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Im a supporter of that theory too; as humans we try to appy logic to religion, then people say our logic is different from God logic but thats a whole different topic i guess. Anyway, whatever created this world has made it with different colors, shapes, environments, etc.. even in the same country (and taking as an example my own country), people have different lifestyles according to the place they are living in since ever (way before society is like we know it today). Many of these differences are influenced by weather to give an example; that said, with all these differences around would it be so ilogical that people in Nigeria use a "bridge" to reach God trough their Orishas and people in France use Christ as a "bridge" to reach God. Both find peace and hope, the process and the names are different though. In France on Sunday they go into a church, pray, bless each other and feel better; in Nigeria they sing and dance to the sound of the drums believing like Christians that this is the way to be in touch with the divine. Like others in the end, they feel better. Whats so wrong about this ?

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I'm hearing more and more of this kind of thinking all the time - that there are many paths to God - and it makes me absolutely giddy. Ten years ago I didn't hear this at all and today I have people exiting their pews on Sunday morning and professing their belief that the ways to God are many and Christianity is just one. This was not so just a short time ago. When I look at the Bible and see the many voices and conflicting ideologies that the Redactor (editor who put it all together) chose to preserve and honour, I get the feeling that maybe we are returning to a new level of Spiritual enlightenment that is fundmental in the Bible and has been largely ignored or eclipsed by the "Angry God" theology that justified and fuels our human attrocities. Maybe there's hope afterall.

new topics

top topics

join