It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am new to comics, any suggestions?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I am trying to get into reading comics/graphic novels. I just purchased the New Blue Beetle, several Batman and the Monster Men, and the Avengers Disassembled. I plan on buying Top Ten: Book One, and Batman Year One, and the Dark Knight Returns. Any suggestions on what to read (single issues or graphic novels)? Thanks.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I could receomend a few books, but I'd like to know what kind of things your are interested in. I believe there is a perfect comic for anyone.
For now check out these old threads.

Question for someone who wants to get back into reading comics.

Best comic for a newbie?

As it seems you like Batman, ypu should check this out.
The Top 25 Batman Tales ever.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I am interested in all superheros, mainstream or not, it doesn't matter to me. I have been thinking about reading Top Ten: Book One and really like the Civl War issues so far. Thanks for your help.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I can recommend a few standout favorites to you. Some of them you may have to work at to track down, but I think you will find it very much worth your time to do so.

To help out, I gave the individual issue numbers and individual titles of the stories themselves, where possible, and tried to list if the comics are available in a TPB. For future reference, TPB = Trade Paperback and GN = Graphic Novel. Some areas where I have listed the entire series, like with Queen and Country, it was simply easier to list as "entire series" than the multitudes of TPBs.

The Incredible Hulk #420: "Lest Darkness Come" - Marvel
Batman #423: "You Shoulda Seen Him" - DC
Batman #424: "The Diplomat's Son" - DC
The Watchmen TPB - DC
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns TPB - DC
Batman: Killing Joke GN - DC
Moon Knight v1 #5: "Ghost Story" - Marvel
Death: The High Cost of Living TPB - DC / Vertigo
The Micronauts v1 #1-#11 - Marvel
Strangers in Paradise - (the entire series) - Antarctic Press / Abstract / Image
G.I. Joe v1 #155: "A Letter From Snake-Eyes" - Marvel
Queen and Country - (the entire series) - Oni Press
Liberty Meadows - (the entire series) - Insight Studios / Image Comics
The Amazing Spider-Man v2 #36: "September 11" - Marvel
Conan - (the entire series) - Dark Horse
X-Men Legends Volume 2: The Dark Phoenix Saga TPB - Marvel
Kingdom Come TPB - DC
Uncanny X-Men: Days of Future Past TPB - Marvel
Uncanny X-Men #153 & Uncanny X-Men Annual #8: "Kitty's Fairy Tale" - Marvel
New Mutants #21: "Slumber Party" - Marvel
Love and Rockets - (the entire series) - Fantagraphics
Power Pack v1 - (the entire series) - Marvel
Stormwatch: Team Achilles - (the entire series, despite the controversy with the writer) - DC / Wildstorm

I know in some cases the list I created seems X-heavy, but the truth is that I have nothing but the utmost respect for Claremont's original run, and every issue is excellent. It's where I started getting the idea that I could, indeed, do this for a living.

I also don't really know you as a person, so I'm not sure what your personal tastes are - I can only give mine. I read and have read hundreds of thousands of books - thousands of different titles, and out of all of them, these are my personal standouts.

I hope that this list can serve you well.

[edit on 22/6/06 by Bripe Klmun]

new topics

top topics

join