It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea Missile test

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
NK isnt concerned with threats from the US, if there was a military response, they realise the anti-war lobby wouldnt allow any action to be taken against them. So what do they have to worry about?

I would think they would be doing us a favor if they lobbed a nuke on los angeles or san franciso.

How can killing a few hundred thousand peeps (be they right, left, gay, straight, red-commie punks or neo-con war pervs) be any good? Peeps are peeps, after all.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

How can killing a few hundred thousand peeps (be they right, left, gay, straight, red-commie punks or neo-con war pervs) be any good? Peeps are peeps, after all.

Agreed. The political scientist in me sees the tactical/political advantages to being attacked, but the human in me agrees that the pointless loss of life is completely unnecessary.

War is one thing. Loss of life is inevitable. Terrorism is something different.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I just thought of something.

First, we all know that NK is a friend of Iran, right?

Second, since october/november 2005, Iran is the center of attention and they face attack or sanctions by the US, right?

Third, if they want a nuke, they want it to defend themselves against the US/Israël, and they won't have time to develop it unless the attention is drawned elsewhere, right?

Four, if NK does indeed strike US or Japan, or just make angry the world, the attention could just move to NK and then Iran could have time to develop their nuke...

Maybe they'll do that because they think that US wouldn't risk attacking NK because they have a nuke, and if they indeed strike NK, they don't mind because they can nuke SK. (they think so) or at least the world's attention would focus on NK instead of Iran because NK would be more a ``present`` danger to the world, but as always, they won't move, it was just a divertion to draw attention on them as Iran develop their nuke...

Maybe they'll do this because they think US won't have the guts/money/men/political approval of opening two other war fronts... (Iraq/Afghanistan/Iran/NK)

Isn't interesting?

[edit on 18-6-2006 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 06:13 AM
link   
What's this? Everyman for himself??? What an incompetent way this government has with dealing with anything that may come our way.
Save "ourselves" and the hell with the general population.
Will the syrens be blaring sometime tomorrow? Or will the truly inportant only be given the priviledge of heading for their comfy bunkers?
Tha later would apply. Screw the rest of us.

Sick.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
With only one missile they probably wouldn't try to nuke a city. That would just guarantee their destruction. The best use for one thermo nuke would be an ElectroMagnetic Pulse.

www.globalsecurity.org...

For maximum effect the detonation would need to occur mid to eastern US, since it is a 'line of sight' effect. Anyway's the Report to Congress say's it all.

My thought is, are they going to send us a message that they have this capability by testing an ICBM? Or are they actually going for the hail mary shot? You would think that the extortion angle would work best. But when you're dealing with a megalomaniac psycho, who know's?

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
So does anyone know when NK is suppoded to fire this missle? How long will it take to get to the USA?

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
According to this article, a missile from North Korea could reach Guam in less than an hour.

source

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Found this too:

"From the length and diameter, the missile appears to be larger and more sophisticated than the one North Korea test-fired in 1998. With a range estimated at about 2,400 miles, it would be capable of reaching Guam, but not the U.S. mainland.

Experts said the missile would probably carry a satellite, rather than a warhead, which would enable North Korea to say it was a civilian endeavor and not a military move.

Weapons analysts are calling the new missile either the Taepodong X or the Taepodong 2.

It probably could not carry a nuclear payload, experts said, although it could be fitted with a chemical or biological warhead."

source

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I'll say one thing, NK's leader, Kim Jong, is a very eccentric fellow that one is. I've seen him riding off through a serene forest into the distant sun on a white horse, could I see him firing off a Hail Mary missile into the distant sun as well? A far stretch it is, but the man's capable of some very odd practices.

I think it's just a paramount for NK, nothing more.

Luxifero

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
REALLY? Think for a minute. Please. Do you all really think that this will be an attack on the US? With a notice? C'mon... I need to start taking a hit off whatever it is you are smoking. WAIT !! I got it. Lets call up Iran and tell them the date we will be attacking. PLEASE. Arent there some martians or UFOs out there??

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I want a hit off whatever Kim Jong Il is smoking, that dude is wack!

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   
whats the big deal if they want to test a missile...geeez...all superpowers have done tests when there was an intl outcry not to...

i remember france testing a nuke in some atoll in the south pacific many years back...the rest of the world didnt want them to but they did anyway...

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Last week an Air Force modifed Boeing civilian transport was conducting tests at Edwards AFB. This aircraft was carrying an on-board chemical laser. The laser is designed to engage airborne targets at ranges beyond visual sight. It departed Edwards on Thursday for parts unknown.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by flycatch
Last week an Air Force modifed Boeing civilian transport was conducting tests at Edwards AFB. This aircraft was carrying an on-board chemical laser. The laser is designed to engage airborne targets at ranges beyond visual sight. It departed Edwards on Thursday for parts unknown.

Can you post a link? It would be a good way to drive the point home that the US should not be toyed with. Blow the (oops nearly slipped) darned thing out of the air. Or would that be cut it out of the air? Vaporize maybe? Not sure with the lazer.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Even if they fired the missile. I would think a reality check would be in order. For one, they wouldn't just launch it without making sure noone would be in the vicinity of its landing. Meaning we would know the whereabouts the landing would be. So, if our Government tells us they don't know, that would just just a crock of pure crap. Things don't work that way. And really, why would anyone think they would land it in a territory where International treaties forbid? I think it's a crazy notion to even think that this test, if indeed they go through with it, that they would let it even come close to breaking any International treaties.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   
If that test missile went anywhere near US soil or even Hawaii, I would have it shot down if possible. Then act like I didn't know what happened. The only question I would have is how far should you let it go before shooting it down? If someone successfully shot down all NK missiles, NK might not be confident in their missile technology.

I would be happy to see their test explode on the launch pad. I suppose NK may be trying to get some blackmail money or something by proving they can hit the US is my guess.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 12:18 AM
link   
WTH on cnn.com it says for video that Japan has gone to the U.N. Secruity council but the link doesnt work?

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Well todays the day isn't it, Got a driving lesson at half 11 then going to come back and stay glued to CNN or FOX News all day lol.

Thing that creeped me out about the whole story is the fact that the NK told their people to raise the national flag at 2pm then stay tuned to TV for a national statement. Hmmmm.

www.cnn.com... It's on the homepage ...

Japan, Australia and the United States have united in saying that any test-launching of an intercontinental missile by North Korea would result in serious and stern consequences. Reports say Pyongyang has completed fueling a missile with the range to reach the United States.

[edit on 19/6/06 by Liamoville]

CX

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Liamoville

Thing that creeped me out about the whole story is the fact that the NK told their people to raise the national flag at 2pm then stay tuned to TV for a national statement. Hmmmm.

Yeah that did seem a bit strange did'nt it? Heres the link to one of the papers saying this.

N. Koreans urged to raise flag at 2pm.

CX.

CX

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Ok help me out here please. If i just read correctly, NK is 9 hours ahead of GMT, making it almost 1900hrs over there? If so, does that mean we would have heard something about the 2pm broadcast yet or is the 2pm our time?

For an ideal missile test, would they prefer to conduct it during daylight?

CX.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join