It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More on saving seeds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I was just reading all the great post,on planing and growing,and garden,mine is growing better,after planting 3 times,We had to much rain and the seeds rotted,things look good now,Could somone post,how to dry seeds,out?,for next year please,my dont seem to dry right,i must not,be doing it right?,if the stocks crash,we will need to live of the land,i would love to save my seeds..thanks and what great post

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Here is a good link to some basic seed saving information.

Seed saving site

I save seeds using some of the techniques discussed on the site. I also save potatoes by just leaving them in a cool dark place for the winter. They are usually growing by spring, and I plant them with good success.

Also, I live in a temperate rain forest - Southeast Alaska, so I know about planting seeds in cold (cool), wet environments. What I do is never, with the exception of carrots, plant seeds in the ground. I always plant inside and then transplant when the plants are big enough. For some plants that is 8 to 10 weeks, for others it is three weeks prior to planting outside. If the plants have delicate roots, such as cucumbers or squash, i use paper or other pots that I can plant directly in the ground. If you have to plant in the ground, use a floating row cover or something else that protects the plants and raises the temps.

This year I transplanted over 500 plants and all survived. Planting inside also produces a greater germination rate, which allows me to save some seeds for the next year (depending on the seed type).

Good luck.

[edit on 22-6-2006 by sacrifice]

new topics

join