It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking news: Plague Spreading in Africa

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   
according to the RSOE global emergency and disaster database the plague is spreading in africa and according to their leveling system it is at the highest level which = catastrophic.

An outbreak of plague in the northeastern district of Ituri in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has killed 20 people out of 70 cases identified in the last three weeks, health officials said on Friday. "The figure is expected to rise as more reports arrive," said Lendunga Wapayer, the medical director of the Centre for Surveillance and Control of Plague in the northeast. Among those identified since mid-May were 44 cases of pulmonary plague, recorded in the Linga and Rethy health zones, about 120km to 150km northeast of Bunia, the main town in Ituri. "We have deployed a team to the area for the detection and confirmation of these cases," said Laurent Kambale, an epidemiologist with the United Nations World Health Organization (WHO) in Ituri. Kambale said two isolation units had been set up in Bubba, 135km north of Bunia, and at Kpandroma, 120km north of Bunia, for the treatment of plague patients...Continues

here is a link to the site with a map and more infoGlobal disaster and emergeny database

Cheerio!
Digitalgrl

mod edit to use "ex" tags instead of "quote" tags
Quote Reference.
Posting work written by others. **All Members Read**

[edit on 16-6-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Great!...
just what we need another african super disease....how many is that now? HIV, ebola.... why in the world do all these diseases come from africa?

send these people some damn soap!!!!

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Hehe, I'll bet that those dictators would steal the soap though!!

But jeez, this does not sounds too good. Of course, some parts of Africa are densely populated places where personel hygene is very poor, so 20 dead out of 70 is not a huge number.
Let's just hope they manage to bring this one under control, anyway.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 02:58 AM
link   
If they cant get HIV under control how are they going to get a rapid spreading virus like the "black death" under control? There is a reason why the global disaster and emergency database rated this a catagory level of catastrophic but here in the U.S.A we just had cases recently in california, colorado, and new mexico of the plague spreading from infected prarie dogs and squirrels and they listed the thread level to society as moderate because it was stamped out because of our quality sanitation and disease and viral awareness. But in africa its obviously very different. 70 people in this short of time..thats not good.
thanks for participating in my thread guys

Cheerio!
digitalgrl

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
Great!...
just what we need another african super disease....how many is that now? HIV, ebola.... why in the world do all these diseases come from africa?

Black Death or bubonic plague isnt from Africa nor is it a " Super Desease"

I do have to wonder through , is this a strain that may be antibiotic resistant? Also - is there any measures in place to control the rat/flea problem that spreads it?

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 03:53 AM
link   
nobody suggested it was FROM africa, they just meant a superdisease in africa.

and also the plague is a terrible thing to get....remember europe...black death....epidemic, quarentine, hardly a mild illness to get.

Digitalgrl

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by DigitalGrl
and also the plague is a terrible thing to get....remember europe...black death....epidemic, quarentine, hardly a mild illness to get.

Good old Yersinia pestis.

The incubation ranges from 1-3 days for pneumonic to 2-6 days for the bubonic variant.

Streptomyacin and tetracycline are cheap off patent and quite effective treating the disease which has a 90% mortality for Bubonic and a whopping 100% for pneumonic plague if left untreated.

A good article discussing other antimicrobials can be found
Here

There is also a vaccine:
wonder.cdc.gov...

In regards to resistance I found this in the NEJM:
Multidrug Resistance in Yersinia pestis Mediated by a Transferable Plasmid

[edit on 6/17/06 by FredT]

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I do not normally advocate the death of anyone but I think the African dictatorships which are in no short supply do not help the situation and it is to large even for the west to control. Most of Africas population will be dead or dying within 30 years especially in the drought stricken regions where disease runs rampant.

I personally would suggest a quarenteen of the entire continent and let them die off. The risk of bringing things like Ebola to North America is pretty high and would be catastophic to our populations.

I will watch out for my ass before someone elses it's human nature. I'm not racist or anything I just think Africa in all honesty for the most part is a lost cause. Let the African governments crumble on their own. Those who survive could then immigrate elseware and begin a new.

No one who visits Africa or plans on coming over for example should be allowed to enter the country without first having received disease screening etc.

It's not genocide if you let nature take it's course. A lot of these african nations are literally beyond repair.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Doctor
I'm not racist or anything... It's not genocide if you let nature take it's course.

Great idea. In fact, let's take it further. Let's build a nice big fence round Africa. Blockade the place with ships and planes and missiles. If anything bigger than a plague rat tries to creep through, waste it.

Next, take the prison populations of the rich world and dump them in the middle of the Dark Continent to fight it out with the locals. Let's dump all the homosexuals and drug users in along with them while we're at it. Anyone else we don't like? Jews? AIDS sufferers? Single mothers? Communists? Darwinists? Let's chuck 'em in too! Blacks -- gosh, I almost forgot them! Why not? We'll just be sending them home, right?

And while you're at it, don't forget to fling in a few bars of soap.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
Great idea. In fact, let's take it further. Let's build a nice big fence round Africa. Blockade the place with ships and planes and missiles. If anything bigger than a plague rat tries to creep through, waste it.

Next, take the prison populations of the rich world and dump them in the middle of the Dark Continent to fight it out with the locals. Let's dump all the homosexuals and drug users in along with them while we're at it. Anyone else we don't like? Jews? AIDS sufferers? Single mothers? Communists? Darwinists? Let's chuck 'em in too! Blacks -- gosh, I almost forgot them! Why not? We'll just be sending them home, right?

And while you're at it, don't forget to fling in a few bars of soap.

you forgot cripples, dude.

[edit on 21-6-2006 by 25cents]

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Good Lord!!!!!

[edit on 21/6/06 by eoyn]

Dae

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   

It's not genocide if you let nature take it's course. A lot of these african nations are literally beyond repair.

You sure about that? Its genocide in my book if we sit back and do nothing when there is plenty that we can do, we have accessory to murder, this would be accessory to genocide.

Yeah, and what Astyanax said.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 06:55 AM
link   
"You sure about that? Its genocide in my book if we sit back and do nothing when there is plenty that we can do, we have accessory to murder, this would be accessory to genocide."

Genocide would mean you actually have to kill these people. What I propose is let them deal with their own problems. People die it is a natural process....

I am not saying we should put more people their either I am saying that we do not have the resources neccisary to care for these people.

These are the conditions for commiting genocide:
(a) Killing members of the group;
(b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
(d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
(e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.
=======
(a) Nature will do it not other people.
(b) We are not causing harm that they do not inflict on themselves or by nature itself.
(c) We are not deliberatly responsible for their living conditions or physical destruction.
(d) We are not imposing measures to prevent child birth.
(e) We are not forcibly transferring children.

They may have been subjected to these types of treatments but this was done by their own people not us.

They will never completely die out as not all of Africa are subjected to these conditions. If you feel you have to help these people then don't be preechin on the internet go to Africa and help these people then. By sitting here debating the subject you accomplish nothing and intern letting nature take it's course.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   

These are the conditions for commiting genocide:

(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part

A quarantine on Africa would amount precisely to this.

Dae

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Genocide would mean you actually have to kill these people. What I propose is let them deal with their own problems. People die it is a natural process....

You clearly stated a few posts ago that we should stand by and let them suffer and go on to say that it wasnt genocide.

By not sending aid we will be causing unnecessary death. People do indeed die but let nature takes it course? Does that mean you will stand by and watch a person with a broken leg writhing in agony untill they died of infection? No, because thats cruel and unnecessary. And thats what you are suggesting for Africa.

You can always correct me if Im wrong

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I cannot believe that I am reading such prejudiced, biased claptrap! I live in Africa and let me tell you I would not live in the US of A if you paid me millions and millions of dollars! Astyanax and The_Doctor should be ashamed of themselves. I fervently hope that you two (and your ilk) will be infested by the fleas of a million plague carrying rats! I'm absolutely disgusted by your ignorance and superiority complex. In my country we live happily with each other, we have a beautiful city much sought after by tourists from your country and Europe, amongst others, we have a pretty good education system and a healthy distrust of "the developed world". Africa was doing just fine until the white (trash) man arrived to mess things up.
P.S. I'm a white African! Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!!

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   
i always have said that one day there would be no one living in africa. do not take the wrong way, i just see that is where africa is going. the people running this world do not want to fix africa, and i reckon that one day they reckon no humans would be able to live in africa.

Dae

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by LovingSoul
Astyanax and The_Doctor should be ashamed of themselves.

I believe that Astyanax was using sarcasm, or at least taking the next 'logical' steps if we were to do such a thing that The_Doctor advises. At least I hope so because I agreed with them!

If someone believes that a country is 'too messed up' to sort out and let them die from plague they may also believe the same about other groups of humans, like Astyanax said it opens the doors to doing the same with single mothers or drug users, depending on who hates who.

I think I got that right.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
send these people some damn soap!!!!

To scrub the HIV away? This thread has some of the most racist and disturbing undertones I've ever heard on ATS.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
god forbid i ever meet any of you people in person. i'm not a racist by any means, but some of the things i say in humor would have you people foaming at the mouth. buncha pansies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join