It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Make the MCAT and MS curriculum more Mathematical

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Make the Medical College Admissions Test and Medical School curriculum more mathematical. Disease is a quantity and health is a quantity. No subject matter imbues, integrates, and embraces quantities more than mathematics.

Doctors frequently treat people whose lives are at risk so I hope these doctors are not playing the lottery in their decision-making.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Have you taken the MCAT? I have several friends who are now American MDs, and they said there is a lot of chemical mathematics on the test.

Also, I don't see how disease and health are "quantities"...can you put down the alcohol/patchouli/marijuana and explain for those of us who haven't taken past calculus i.e. the majority of the population?

Mariella

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
bsl4doc, congratulations on finishing medical school. Personally, I have never taken the MCAT, but I have seen it, but I do not think that I would test for top medical schools. I might if it were more mathematical. But I do believe a more mathematical bent in the MCAT and MS curriculum would benefit patients, and not for any self-serving purpose on my part.

I perform medical research trying to precisely quantify and cure all diseases using methods, apparatus, medications, surgeries, technologies...

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
bsl4doc, congratulations on finishing medical school. Personally, I have never taken the MCAT, but I have seen it, but I do not think that I would test for top medical schools. I might if it were more mathematical. But I do believe a more mathematical bent in the MCAT and MS curriculum would benefit patients, and not for any self-serving purpose on my part.

I perform medical research trying to precisely quantify and cure all diseases using methods, apparatus, medications, surgeries, technologies...

You're still not clarifying your point. I don't see how more advanced mathematics beyond calculus and physics (required by all medical schools in USA and EU) would benefit the patient? As a physician, I just don't imagine any situation that would look like this:

Nurse: The labs came back positive for MRSA. Do you want to start Zyvox or Valacyclovir?

Me: Well, first, let's find the total volume inside the bacterium infecting this patient's wound. Then, let's figure out what the maximum velocity of the medication will be as it leaves the IV. Then, once we find out the area under the curve of the patients EKG, we can decide how to treat them.

Do you see what I'm saying? I don't see how "quantifying" the disease will help. The disease will still be present and untreated. Time is often of the essence in medicine.

Mariella

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Maybe medical researchers Believe in an Ideal World, while medical doctors believe in a bmw and mercedes world?

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Maybe medical researchers Believe in an Ideal World, while medical doctors believe in a bmw and mercedes world?

I can promise you, the USA is probably the only country where doctors drive around in BMWs and Mercedes. All of us doctors in the rest of the Western nations, (that's right, the USA is the only Western nation without socialized health care), don't make enough to have such nice things until we are old and too tired anyways.

Also, I still request that you answer my question as to how having medical students take advanced mathematics would improve medical care? You seem to dodge questions you can't answer.

Mariella

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
bsl4doc, do you believe physicians should only understand basic mathematics? If medical researchers believed this, there would be no MRI's, CatScans, PetScans, X-Rays, blood level instruments, urine level instruments, stethoscopes, blood pressure devices, heart rate measurers, temperature measurers, medication measurers, hospitals, beds, ...

An optimal physician mind would be an "open to all basic, intermediate, and advanced mathematics mind", integrating arithmetic, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, combinatorics, statistics, group theory, series, sequences... into his or her own practice.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   
There's a difference in medical researchers and MDs. An MD is like a classroom teacher who has a set of lessons they know (you can't know everything about medicine, so people specialize) and are very good at their specialty. But teachers don't do research.

Educational researchers generally don't work in high school but are at research sites such as universities. And this is the difference in docs and in medical researchers.

And medical research isn't done by one person cranking away. Usually there's a team of 5-20 people, including someone likemy friend (a PhD biostatician.) This is crucial, because the folks reviewing the study will be positively brutal on the experiment design AND on the results AND on the math. Sometimes there's a couple of stats/math consultants on the project.

I'm speaking from direct (I was there) experience on this.

My GP (general physician) doesn't need to trouble his head with calculus or stats, though he does need to figure out dosages. But that ain't rocket science.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Thanks for your comments Byrd. At least I know there is one person that believes mathematics and medicine are not unrelated. I pray that bsl4doc becomes at least a little more mathematically oriented. God bless his (or her?) career.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I never said mathematics and medicine were unrelated. I DID say that there is no need for MDs to have taken advanced mathematics. Medical researchers and medical doctors are two totally different careers with two totally different degrees. Before you make assumptions and accusations, please do some research and realise this basic concept.

Ciao,
Mariella

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   
We have two totally different minds, bsl4doc. I believe in a Spirit-created mathematical Universe.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   

We have two totally different minds, bsl4doc. I believe in a Spirit-created mathematical Universe.

That's great, I'm happy for you. But you still don't grasp the concept that medical doctors are not medical researchers. Two totally different people. Can you explain why medical doctors would need advanced mathematics i.e. beyond calculus I? You still keep dodging that question.

Mariella

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
"I never said mathematics and medicine were unrelated. I DID say that there is no need for MDs to have taken advanced mathematics."

Your 100% right....

MD's are not the ones developing drugs chemists/bio chemists for instance do this.

It is not their feild of expertise that is why people train in different fields some people want to be MD's some want to be engineers etc.

top topics

join