It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jefferson Booted from Ways and Means Committee

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
In a decision that was unanimous and without debate, the House of Representatives voted to remove Democrat William Jefferson of Louisiana from the powerful Ways and Means Committee. Jefferson has been under probe over allegations that he received $100,000 in bribes from an FBI sting operation.

www.washingtonpost.com
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The House of Representatives voted on Friday to remove Rep. William Jefferson from a powerful committee while federal investigators weigh possible bribery charges against the Louisiana Democrat.

The measure to remove Jefferson from the tax-writing Ways and Means Committee passed unanimously without debate, capping a contentious showdown between the New Orleans lawmaker and Democratic leaders who had asked him to step down voluntarily.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Jefferson has denied any wrongdoing, but the evidence against him is overwhelming. The Democrats understandably want to remove this albatross from their necks, since they hope to use the "culture of corruption" in their bid for seats this coming November.

I say, this is a good first move. The next step should be to remove him from office, and lead him out of Washington in the shackles that he deserves.

Related News Links:
www.sfgate.com

[edit on 16/6/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
yes thanks god, I want nothing more then to see this guy lose all his powers. If the evidence proves to be false, then the FBI would be in serious trouble, but otherwise. DOWN WITH JEFFERSON!! lol.

Honestly this guy is a crook, I want to see him in jail.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I don't want to pile on, but this guy is definitely guilty as sin. All of the stories we hear about corrupt politicians have his name and face on them.

If he had any class, he would resign from office.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I don't want to pile on, but this guy is definitely guilty as sin. All of the stories we hear about corrupt politicians have his name and face on them.

If he had any class, he would resign from office.

When he is found guilty of his crimes, I will agree with you. Until then, I find it kinda annoying that we are already convicting him. I mean, it is kinda the way this country is supposed to be. Innocent until proven guilty...?

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 09:15 PM
link   
.......unless you capture it on videotape, and find the evidence in his freezer.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   

.......unless you capture it on videotape, and find the evidence in his freezer.

You are still tried by a jury to be proven guilty without a reasonable doubt. To act otherwise is completely out of alignment with the methods that have been set up for trying a criminal. To do such is to spit upon some of the very laws that helped found this country. I am sorry, but I find no humor in you statements.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I agree with nightboy about innocent until proven guilty which I think is something we tend to forget sometimes (me included) having said that I am really looking forward to his explanation of what the 100 grand (though I thought it was 90) in cash was doing in his freezer.

Spiderj

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Like I said I look at him negatively simply because the FBI claims to have the evidence. I never said he shouldnt have a trial. Now if we found out the FBI was lying about that, appologies to jefferson, and down with the FBI lol.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
It's good to get rid of the crooks, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the money in his freezer gets traced back to a GNP source.

Now...how is it that they were watching him? Who was it that gave the tip to the FBI that he was on the take where they could capture video of it?

Persoanally, I like to see both sides of the story.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by davenman
Persoanally, I like to see both sides of the story.

Same here.

William Jefferson of Louisiana from the powerful Ways and Means Committee

I don't know enough about that committe or what it does, but judging by the moniker "powerful" and the financial aspect, I'm guessing that a certain representative from Louisiana was probably a thorn in the side of the committee. Maybe nosing around in the affairs of rebuilding contracts in his state... say... around New Orleans?

Anybody else see a motive for a sting operation here? Not republican vs. democrat but corporate interests vs. a people's representative?

What was this guy up to before the sting operation? Was he making somebody's life miserable with too many questions?

Or maybe he's just another corrupt politician on the take?

Oh... and does the new anti-whislteblower Supreme Court decision apply here? Can we expect to know who ratted on him so they can be properly punished?

[edit on 6/16/2006 by Gools]

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 12:06 AM
link   
According to the original article on this, Jefferson had demanded a bribe from a U.S. contractor (I forgot what for) and the contractor contacted the FBI about it. The FBI then wired the contractor and set up the sting operation.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   
hmmm gools you bring up an interesting question. Maybe it had something to do with new orleans being rebuilt thus a set up to get him out. I think, since Im the one whos written a bunch of the articles on the jefferson case already, that I should look into that, maybe you might see another article from me with a twist in the story...maybe not, we will find out.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
hmmm gools you bring up an interesting question. Maybe it had something to do with new orleans being rebuilt thus a set up to get him out. I think, since Im the one whos written a bunch of the articles on the jefferson case already, that I should look into that, maybe you might see another article from me with a twist in the story...maybe not, we will find out.

Well, also as gools had pointed out, there are a lot of big contracts working down here right now. This could be a reason as well if he started looking into what exactly these bigwigs were spending on their companies down here. Interesting points, somewhere on a different site somebody had put a list of the big companies and what they were doing. I'll see if I can find it.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82

You are still tried by a jury to be proven guilty without a reasonable doubt. To act otherwise is completely out of alignment with the methods that have been set up for trying a criminal. To do such is to spit upon some of the very laws that helped found this country. I am sorry, but I find no humor in you statements.

Yeah, he's innocent till proven guilty. Tell us something we don't know.

The FBI set him up for a sting, and he bit. How much do you want to bet that they have the serial numbers of the bills they paid him? Plus, they have him on video. And two of his associates have already plead guilty. How much more do you need?

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Yeah, he's innocent till proven guilty. Tell us something we don't know.

The FBI set him up for a sting, and he bit. How much do you want to bet that they have the serial numbers of the bills they paid him? Plus, they have him on video. And two of his associates have already plead guilty. How much more do you need?

Ok, now, I don't want to seem like I've singled you out, but what do you mean? Are you saying that since there's such overwhelming evidence that it shouldn't be an issue? Or what? I really found these two sentences make no sense when put together. Innocent until proven guilty... then you put out all the info, and say how much more do I need..??

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobeckyIf he had any class, he would resign from office.

I'm not really sure what Jefferson expects, but it seems many in Congress are sticking up for him in regards to the raid on his office.

Remember, it took awhile for Tom DeLay to resign from office too. They are both trying to fight their respective corruption charges. Eventually, Jefferson will drop out of Congress, but as far as the timing goes, in comparison to Tom DeLay (the former House Majority Leader for the Republicans), it has not been very long. Tom DeLay didn't resign until June 9th of this year.

But, I guess you don't think DeLay has any class either, right?

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 18-6-2006 by Jamuhn]

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
I'm not really sure what Jefferson expects, but it seems many in Congress are sticking up for him in regards to the raid on his office.

Well, the issue that Jefferson is pushing is the separation of powers between the 3 branches. He is saying that the executive, which the FBI falls under, overstepped their boundaries when they searched his office.

The fact is, the FBI obtained a legal warrant from the judiciary. And the case that Jefferson is pleading, Article 1, Section 6:

The Senators and Representatives shall receive a Compensation for their Services, to be ascertained by Law, and paid out of the Treasury of the United States. They shall in all Cases, except Treason, Felony and Breach of the Peace, be privileged from Arrest during their Attendance at the Session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same; and for any Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place.
caselaw.lp.findlaw.com...

does not apply in most legal minds.

But, I guess you don't think DeLay has any class either, right?

No, but he had the decency to resign. I just don't understand what Jefferson hopes to gain by resisting? Honestly, if I thought that there were a shred of doubt of his guilt, I'd stand up for the guy.

He just wants to collect paychecks, is all, imo.

new topics

top topics

join