It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New glacier theory on Stonehenge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
A geology team has contradicted claims that bluestones were dug by Bronze Age man from a west Wales quarry and carried 240 miles to build Stonehenge.
In a new twist, Open University geologists say the stones were in fact moved to Salisbury Plain by glaciers. -BBC NEWS

news.bbc.co.uk...
I dont see how glaciers could of moved the stones so far. What do you guys think?

I've been having trouble with links lately so I hope this works.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Alright, this is the second time this has happened, why isn't it working? I've never had problems posting links before.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Try this.

news.bbc.co.uk...

It could have been a typo or something.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I suppose it's a possible explanation. But it seems to me to be even further stretching credibility to assume that a glacier moved every seperate bluestone to the same general location. Maybe a huge mass which was later broken up into smaller monoliths. But I find it hard to believe that multiple monolithic rocks would be moved all from one, single location and all end up deposited at some one, single other location.

But, like I said, I guess it could have happened that way.

Harte

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Wouldnt there be other rocks of the same kind around somewhere by stonehenge?

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by MudCloud
Wouldnt there be other rocks of the same kind around somewhere by stonehenge?

I think that's an excellent point. Glaciers do move rocks, but they move a lot of the same kind of material. I don't know about the geology of that area, but it was covered by glaciers during the ice ages.

I'm not convinced by a quick read, but maybe I can find out more looking elsewhere.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I find this theory extremely stupid considering that the stones were precisouly (don't know how to spell that) placed in a pattern that reflected a position that the sun comes up in summer or some other season. Do your research better before you guys start believing some stupid theory like this.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   
stonehenge a mystical gateway to the stars... made billions of years ago by some pointy headed monkey faces in order to house their gigantic stone spaceship with which they flew away and never came back. Stone henge is messed up cos of the blow backs from the seventies.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew14rp
I find this theory extremely stupid considering that the stones were precisouly (don't know how to spell that) placed in a pattern that reflected a position that the sun comes up in summer or some other season. Do your research better before you guys start believing some stupid theory like this.

i think that you need to look at the question better...maybe read and understand..i THINK he meant that the rocks were deposited there to later be erected into stonhenge.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Problem is, that you don't find Salisbury plain littered with the stones. This isn't a new theory at all and was discounted years ago by "real" scientists.

If a glacier brought these stones down, you'd expect to find the place covered with them, or at the least, many buildings made out of them. Neither can be found anywhere on the plain.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   

posted by Byrd

posted by MudCloud
Wouldn’t there be other rocks of the same kind around somewhere by Stonehenge?

I think that's an excellent point. Glaciers do move rocks, but they move a lot of the same kind of material . . but it was covered by glaciers during the ice ages. I'm not convinced. [Edited by Don W]

I wonder if there are any maps showing where the glaciers were centered, assuming that would be a higher elevation, then it is conceivable the moving ice could have transported rocks from Wales to Stonehenge. Is Stonehenge in East Anglia?

posted by Heratix

posted by Andrew14rp
I find this theory stupid considering that the stones were precisely placed in a pattern that reflected a position that the sun comes up in summer. Do your research better before you start believing some theory like this.

I think that you need to look at the question . . maybe read and understand . . I THINK he meant that the rocks were deposited there to be erected later into Stonehenge. [Edited by Don W]

I also read Mudcloud the same way. I don’t think he meant the ice stacked the stones as we find them today.

My vote? No, on glaciers, until we get more evidence.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I know.....that made me chuckle. I mean of course not impossible, but highly, extremely, infinitely improbable.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Here are the locations...

Prescelly mountains is where the rocks are supposed to have come from...i live in South Wales and i once did a job involving soil sampling and testing cores...the entire of the south wales valleys are formed by glaciertorial shift(marked in purple).

Its a longshot IMO there would be too much evidence just lying around so as to speak...and also i like to think my forefathers were clever enough to do this

[edit on 18-6-2006 by Heratix]

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Its a longshot IMO there would be too much evidence just lying around so as to speak...and also i like to think my forefathers were clever enough to do this

Exactly. we would expect to see the Plain covered in these rocks, but we don't. They come from Wales.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   

posted by Heratix

Here are the locations . . Prescelly mountains is where the rocks are supposed to have come from . . I live in South Wales. . I did a job involving soil sampling and testing cores . . the entire of South Wales valleys are formed by glaciation shrift marked in purple. It’s a longshot IMO . . there would be much evidence just lying around so as to speak . . and also I like to think my forefathers were clever enough to do this. [Edited by Don W]

I am from Kentucky where the last Ice Age deposited a large number of dirt and rock mounds - 50 to 75 feet high - just on the south side of the Ohio River, so much so the area along the river bank is called “the Knobs.”

From Wales? We have the Cardiff Giant “discovered” in New York in the mid-19th century and displayed as a fossilized man. When P.T. Barnum of Barnum and Bailey Circus called the displayed statue, some 10 feet tall, a fake and a fraud, the person who made it came forward during the trial and confessed. The statue is still on display in Cardiff, NY. But no connection to Wales.

new topics

top topics

join