It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baphomet worshipped by Freemasons?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Baphomet worshipped by Freemasons?

Lévi's Baphomet image employed in the later 19th century to suggest Baphomet worship by Freemasons

the pic is a lil down on the page to the left

why would levi sketch a pic of this sort, with baphomet in the back all standing tall?

[edit on 16-6-2006 by seridium]

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 01:47 AM
link   
And there are masons in that drawing where? Its a bunch of guys in robes, not an apron among them.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 02:35 AM
link   

IMO, the image clearly portrays members of the Knights Templar, who are associated with the Masons. However, this was an artist's rendition created under the false allegations of Church and State against their order. I would cite outside links, but the Wikipedia example from which you obtained this image validates my point more fully than any other. As follows:

During the judicial proceedings against the Knights Templar, assertions were made that the knights engaged in pagan idolatry. Statements had been obtained from former knights, stating that the order secretly worshipped idols, one of which was named as Baphomet. Such confessions were obtained under torture and were later recanted; therefore their validity is questionable.

I do not recall fully, so don't quote me, but I seem to remember a Knight of Templar later stating something along the lines of, "I would have admitted to anything under those circumstances." The torturers were purposely suggesting what they wanted their victims to say. It is a common torture method in use still to this day. Whip them a few times, draw some blood, and then scream, "You killed the Queen! Admit your deeds and the pain will stop!" Never seems to fail. Look again at what follows after that very paragraph I quoted:

This, among other charges of spitting, trampling, defecating or urinating on the cross; while naked, being "kissed obscenely" by the receptor on the lips, navel, and base of the spine; heresy and worship of other idols; institutionalized homosexuality; and contempt of the Holy Mass and denial of the sacraments, was used to portray their Order as heretical.

Their symbol was two men riding the same horse, generally interpretted as either the self-induced poverty of the Order, or their selfless and undying willingness to help their fellow man. Does this sound like a group that would suddenly engage in things like those accuses above? And then there is this matter:

Allegations of demonic activity on the Knights' part arose when Philip IV who was in financial difficulty due to wars with England (and who it is believed desired the wealth of the Templars, diminished influence of the Church in France, in addition to being well in debt to the Templars) plotted to destroy the order

I would have to say that without question, this seems a bit convenient. The largest portion of this slander undoubtedly came from the Taxil Hoax, which goes on about a man named Taxil, who had been brought up on charges of slander of the Christian faith. He made a huge ordeal about it and supposedly converted, promising to spread the word of Christ. Instead, he slandered Freemasons and the Church further by writing several books claiming eyewitness accounts of Satan worship and other dishonorable acts among the Order. (The Freemasons, by the way, have record of his application for membership, which was denied shortly before all of this began. Coincidental?) The entire facade ended in a press conference in 1897, when Taxil announced that everything he had been saying about Freemasons was FALSE.
My point is, the image says quite a bit, but then, it really says nothing at all.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   

I would have to say that without question, this seems a bit convenient. The largest portion of this slander undoubtedly came from the Taxil Hoax,

The problem is that there is about 500 years between the Templar trials and the Taxil hoax.

there are three other events not mentioned here that also involve Phillippe .
The first
being his action against the Jews in France a year or so before the Templar arrests.
In an almost identical action Phillippe had all the Jews in France arrested and deported.
He then declared all accounts owed by them to be void and all monies owed to them
to be paid to the crown.

The Second being his need to seek protection and sanctuary from Paris crowds within
the Paris Temple.

Third was his reputed request to be made an "honorary Templar" and being refused.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
interestingly the origin of the "god" or figure of "Baphomet" is a corruption of "Mahomet" that is to say, Mohammed. Speculation is of course, they converted to Islam (!).

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by seridium
why would levi sketch a pic of this sort, with baphomet in the back all standing tall?

the image is
upload.wikimedia.org...

It doesn't appear that levi made that sketch. It also doesn't look like freemasons to me, looks more like knights templar.

edit to add:
Haven't seen this interpretation of Baphomet before (from teh wiki article)

"Baphomet" may actually derive from the Arabic word ابو فهمة Abufihamat, meaning "The Father of Understanding"

edit to add also:

This is too funny. In the Baphomet entry, there is notice that the europeans though the muslims worshipped a god called Termagent. I googled around, and found this:

Termagent the demon-lord from marvel comics. One of this enemies?
The Tempererd Knights

Looks like these little fantasies play out one way or another!

Seems like that might actually be something that the Templars were working with, IF masonry, with its concern on rational thought, IS in fact a descendant of the Templars.

And on those 'temploids' there is this:

We were destroyed by our own pride and overconfidence.
Only a handful of us survived the fires of armageddon.
Those few survivors fled into space and founded the Temploid Order. In guilt, they turned away from war and embraced spiritual salvation through the sacred Program. Its blend of technology and high magic showed them the only way to atone for their failure was to become non-combatants and devote themselves to helping and healing any beset by the infernal Tide. Thus, the Brotherhood was born

Is Marvel trying to tell us something!

[edit on 16-6-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by stalkingwolf
The problem is that there is about 500 years between the Templar trials and the Taxil hoax.

True, but I was only demonstrating what I believe to be the most vicious of the origins regarding the Freemason's "betrayal". The Templar trials were a blow, but I believe the worst public issue came with the Taxil Hoax.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   

The Templar trials were a blow, but I believe the worst public issue came with the Taxil Hoax.

While I agree that the Taxil incident did hurt Masonry and is still used in the attempt
to discredit Masonry there was a far worse public Issue IMO.

The Issue or institution I speak of is The Inquisition, Both the people and the Processes
that made it up. For 400 years It did its work with torture, maiming, and burning.
From these processes we have today two enduring gifts.
the first is the often misquoted
"Kill em all Let God sort them out" which was first recorded as "Kill them all, God will Know his own".

the second of course is the ever popular ( so popular that even protestants used it)
Malleus Maleficarum , The guide book for finding , trying, and killing suspected witches.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
It's hinted at during the 'adrenochrome' segment in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   
All bow down and worship me as your shepherd. There is no truth but through me....and my horns...that...make me better than you, more erudite if you will; they're large LOOK AT THEM!!

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 05:35 AM
link   
"Shall I compare thee to a soapy bubble?
Thou art more spherical, and more fragile
Soft hands do wash the darling suds away
As the scummy grease hath all too short a date"

That's a BATH POEM

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 05:56 AM
link   
And here I am, playing out the role of the Big Eye. Dagnammit. I want my real life back. I didn't come here to watch. Did I come here? Actually no, but then it was all mine already.

top topics

join