It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rail Gun technology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Will efficient, econonomical space travel be closer than we think? . Probes or even manned space flight will be shot into space with EM rail guns. EM energy between 2 rails can propel probes and eventually small craft into space. The only problem hindering the technology's progress is finding strong enough material to harness all that energy.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Naw, Rail Guns in space however for shooting payloads to other solar systems could be feasible. If we could get it to a significant fraction of the speed of light, then we could potentially see results in 20-30 years from the closest solar system Proxima Centuri, little longer for Alpha Centuri. Solar Sail propelled by orbital fusion based lasers(say several orbiting around Jupiter getting H2 from the Gas Giant itself(possibly with tethers)) is also feasible.

The way I see us getting cheap access to space in the next 50 or so years, is through a Space Tether, more commonly known as the Space Elevator.

spectrum.ieee.org...

[edit on 16-6-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I have heard many scientists say on occasion that with a hundred years we will be travelling to distant stars. I can only guess that hyperdrive will soon become reality as the math works for it and theoretically we can accomplish this within our life time.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Doctor
I have heard many scientists say on occasion that with a hundred years we will be travelling to distant stars. I can only guess that hyperdrive will soon become reality as the math works for it and theoretically we can accomplish this within our life time.

If this works, then the answer is yes.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And if it doesn't, we could potentially take advantage of the below, if it develops into a stronger version, but it too is also in the "potential discovery" category until someone else replicates it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Confused? Don't know what I'm talking about? Read through the threads.

If not, then we may just have to take advantage of Lifespan extension and Time Dialation.

top topics

join