It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whoever wrote the Old Testament enjoyed genocide!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Don't believe that the Old testament teaches genocide? Check out the following verses, just two of the many from the Bible that suggest that God himself thinks that genocide is a wonderful idea:

Observe what I command you this day. Behold, I am driving out from before you the Amorite and the Canaanite and the Hittite and the Perizzite and the Hivite and the Jebusite. Take heed to yourself, lest you make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land where you are going, lest it be a snare in your midst. But you shall destroy their altars, break their sacred pillars, and cut down their wooden images (For you shall worship no other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.)

Exodus, Chapter 34, verses 11-14

You will chase your enemies, and they shall fall by the sword before you. Five of you shall chase a hundred, and a hundred of you shall put ten thousand to flight; your enemies shall fall by the sword before you. For I will look on you favorably and make you fruitful, multiply you and confirm My covenant with you. You shall eat the old harvest, and clear out the old because of the new.

Leviticus, Chapter 26, verses 7-9

This stuff wasn't written by God or "inspired" by God. This was written by blood thirsty men and passed off as the words of God. Quite disgusting!

So this is God's love: if he looks favorably upon you, he'll help you go out and slaughter ten thousand people just because they belong to another ethic group and are already living on the land you want for yourself. Furthermore, the Bible says that he wants you to go out and commit cultural genocide, destroying the religious buildings and holy objects of rival religions.

source: irregulartimes.com...

Now...many Christians distance themselves from the Old Testament. I know some Christians that even carry around bibles that are only New testanment bibles. There is no Old testament in them? That's kind of convenient, no?

Now, some peaceable apologetic Christians will argue that Christians like Milosevic have merely misunderstood the teachings of the Bible. They'll claim that God required his followers to commit genocidal atrocities during the time of the Old Testament but that Jesus brought a New Testament which instead instructs people to turn the other cheek.

First of all, Christian history does not bear this New Testament idea out. Christian armies never turned the other cheek when they slaughtered their enemies in the name of God. Church leaders supported these acts and often led the clamor for holy wars.

And I'm not just talking about Catholics....

That also goes for the whole rigamarole that Christians go through to give themselves the title of God's new Chosen People. This old Christian canard argues that God used to call the Jews his Chosen People, but the Jews weren't worthy, so since the arrival of Jesus, the Chosen People are the Christians. Honestly, I don't see what difference it makes who the Chosen People are -- I don't think that they ought to have the right to go around and kill people just because they aren't Chosen. It doesn't matter whether genocide takes place on the basis of ethnicity or religion. It's still genocide.

I've been saying this for some time now. I love the Christian attitude of "We are going to be saved and you're not...nyah nyah." Christians appear to either believe in killing anyone that doesn't fit their beliefs or at least trying to make them believe they are doomed to an eternity of misery....away from God.

"You have a choice non-believer: Death or eternal damnation or actually, BOTH. Since once we kill you, you will be eternally damned." LMAO

Christians accuse New Age practitioners of taking a buffet approach to religion: just taking whatever teachings from whatever traditions they like and then ignoring the ones they don't like. Pardon me, but I don't see how the Christians are any different. If you're a real, consistent Christian, you ought to join with other Christians to form a holy army to massacre as many non-Christians as you can, starting today.

On the other hand, if you really believe in compassion, mercy and forgiveness, it might be time for you to stop looking to Christianity for answers. Of all the sources for you to search in your quest for peace, love and understanding, Christianity and the Bible upon which it is based are among the least likely for you to find it.

I love the first paragraph. There are many bible-thumpers on this site that use that argument all the time. "You can't just believe part of the bible and not believe other parts. It's all or nothing."

Really? It works both ways, doesn't it??

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Mods...any chance of moving this to the Rant section? It may have better responses/interest there. Thanks!!

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Excitable_Boy
I love the Christian attitude of "We are going to be saved and you're not...nyah nyah."

And what christians believe this?

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I sorry, I should have said "what Christians DON'T believe this?"...my bad

But seriously, what Christians don't?

But back to the topic....the topic of this thread is "Whoever wrote the OT enjoyed genocide. Did you want to talk about the topic?....because the whole Christian Privilege thing is currently being discussed on another thread....a thread which you have taken part in.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Yep, the god of the old testament was evil and sadistic.

God orders his so-called "chosen people" to cleanse the holy land of all non-jews.

Then Jesus comes along and says that anyone can go to heaven, love your neighbors, etc.

And Christians believe that Jesus and God are the same? Hah!

God is a big kid with a magnifying glass.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt

You can count all the ones that have knocked on my door predicting my eternity in hell, a bunch of them here and about every priest i have talked with. Generalisation is not good since many do not think this way, but many still do.

top topics

join