It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Center of the Universe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Is there a supermassive object near or at the center of the universe that all other masses orbit? The moon orbits the Earth which orbits the Sun which orbits the center of the Milky Way and so forth. It seems that logic would dictate it would come back to one point but at lot of things in space don't seem logical. Also, would it be possible to locate the physical coordinate or place in space that the Big Bang occurred? I feel like these are kinda dumb questions but I've never heard anything regarding them. Any insight would be great, thanks.

jra

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Well I understand your logic. It would make sense with Moons revolving around there Planets, Planets revolving around the Sun, Sun revolving around the Galaxy etc. But so far we're not even sure if there is a center to the Universe at all. If there is, we haven't found it yet. Here's a link that talks about there being no center.

www.astro.ucla.edu...

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Your questions are anything but "dumb", cedargrove. Frankly, I don't think your question about the "center of the Universe" can be answered by anyone currently.

The Big Bang Theory, if you believe it, would tell you there is no center of the universe. The Big Bang wasn't an explosion in the same sense as the ones we normally think of, where there is a central point with matter expanding outward equally in all directions. The Big Bang was not an explosion "within space", but rather an expansion "of space itself". So, there is no center, as such. From any location in space you choose, it will appear that everything else is moving away from you, like dots on the surface of a baloon being blown up.

I believe the above is currently the most accepted view of the cosmos, but that doesn't mean it's true. It's just the most accepted view currently, and it only addresses the "observable" Universe. So, there are still issues, other points of view and knowledge not yet gained that could change things considerably.

A good, simple explanation can be found at this link:

math.ucr.edu...

So, I guess there may be a center to the Universe. Who knows? No one that I'm aware of ...

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Thanks for the input guys. Both of those links had some great information on them. I love reading about how much we don't know. Makes you wonder about things like how we were created or why the universe exists at all. Although it's frustrating with things that we may never find the answer to.

new topics

top topics

join