It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aurora Found?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Came across dis site, The Image below was taken? in Glasgow, Scotland which is just north from RAF Machrihanish

2002-Glascow, Scotland. The photographer or hoaxer said he took the picture at about 10:00 P.M. in Glasgow, Ayrshire, Scotland. He said: "At around 10pm 2 months ago I was looking out my window (I was actually looking for my cat that had ran out the door) when I saw this strange thing in the sky as soon as I seen it I just grabbed my digital camera and took a picture... after I took the picture I turned round to give the camera to my girlfriend... Looked back and it was gone... There was no noise just total silence. P.S. the pic isn't great my hands were a bit shaky."

Some more stuff here!
www.ufocasebook.com...

www.ufocasebook.com...

www.ufocasebook.com...

www.ufocasebook.com...

www.ufocasebook.com...

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 15/6/2006 by Mirthful Me]

ISJ

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Call me cynical but hmmmmm.

I thought the whole point of RAF Mach-thingy was that its runway was not only the longest in europe, but the approach was over water and well shielded by natural occurancies (rocks/mountains) so that prying eyes and camera lenses would be less likely to get a shot of anything.

Now i dont know about you but when i look for the cat outside at dusk i dont have my digi camera setup on a tripod and night mode selected, now if i did have my camera to hand would i be able to turn it on, select night mode, get a focus and capture an good image (probably first time) all as a fast jet flys by the window?

So, to get that image, the first one i mean, the camera imo would of had to be setup and the plane had to be circling about - not something i imagine a top secret plane would be doing too much of, especially over land.

Just my opinion of course

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I'm not buying the fact that he had his digital camera ready within the time period it would take for the aircraft to fly past... and it looks more like the typicaly TR-3 design rather than the aurora (unless its flying away from the camera and appears more compact) but i'd say fake purely based on the dodgy story. Any chance of a link to the page where you found it?

Shinobi x

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
idk, the first pic there looks really fake. If that was Aurora it would either be really huge, or really close. I dont think it would be that close. Plus it looks like pasted on there. IDK just my .02.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Haha, that New Hampsire one is a goose or something, flying from right to left. Pretty obvious really.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Nah sorry but it dont buy it.Particularly as Glasgow as quite a bit away from RAF Machrihanish so i cant imagine any reason why if it does exist it would want to fly anywhere near there at such an altitude

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 03:49 AM
link   
looks like a moth to me

seriously though i think the pic is fake

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 03:54 AM
link   
So it was flying slow enough for him to get his camera and take the shot but was, at the same time, flying so fast that it was gone in the time it takes to turn round, hmmmm. I think not.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Ok, ive just looked at it again... last night my screen was messed up and the picture looked a lot darker. Now that i've seen the colours on it (which is stupid to think that on a secret plane they would pimp it out with 'go faster flames' etc
) i'm COMPLETELY convinced its a fake

It is probably a moth on the window, looks a lot like this species:

ukmoths.org.uk...

'1661 Orange Underwing Archiearis parthenias (Linnaeus, 1761), It inhabits birch woods, in England, Wales and parts of Scotland'

[edit on 16-6-2006 by ShinobiAurora]

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Well i think we can round it off as a fake then..or maybe the Aurora is designed to look like a moth in disguise to throw off the scent

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ISJ
Call me cynical but hmmmmm.

Now i dont know about you but when i look for the cat outside at dusk i dont have my digi camera setup on a tripod and night mode selected, now if i did have my camera to hand would i be able to turn it on, select night mode, get a focus and capture an good image (probably first time) all as a fast jet flys by the window?

Just my opinion of course

ISJ,

You've beat me to the punch! My camera is in my desk drawer. I would guess it might take me about 3 or 4 minutes at least to get to my camera, how many Top Secret aircraft would hang out that long at low altitude?

Also, the focus issue is a big question! If it was a manual focus, how did he focus so fast. If it was an Auto Focus, it should NOT have worked. In his book Skunk Works, Ben Rich said:

The Skunk Works Photographer came to me one after noon and said, "Ben, I think this polorid has a bad lens. It won't focus correctly when I take a picture of the steath." I sat back for a moment and though about it. "Wait a moment, your camera is fine! Auto focus uses echo ranging like a bat would. It's the shape of the plane that is causing the problem!"

Something's a miss here!

Tim

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShinobiAurora
it is probably a moth on the window, looks a lot like this species:

ukmoths.org.uk...

'1661 Orange Underwing Archiearis parthenias (Linnaeus, 1761), It inhabits birch woods, in England, Wales and parts of Scotland'

[edit on 16-6-2006 by ShinobiAurora]

this is what i thought it was. a moth.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Sorry Fella the pictures are poor, especially after the Newsnight programme on BBC last wednesday & the " new wingshape" discussed.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 06:36 AM
link   
just a quick observation : why is the "plane" banked so steeply ?? -- if as claimed it is " on approach " ??

i have only ever seen fighters and attack aircraft pulling manouvers like that

the entire story IMHO stinks

next up -- something slightly more helpfull

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 06:37 AM
link   
RAF Machrihanish

The base lays over 50 miles SW of Glasgow , and despite wild rumours of “ secrecy and inaccessibility “ there is public access right up to the perimeter fence [ within 1km of the runway ]

This map shows its general location , and relationship to Glasgow

Click image for fullsize

Bear in mind the runway orientation :

The approach heading is

[ from the west ] – 119

[ from the east ] – 299

Which at the risk of sounding sarcastic means that a pilot on approach who found himself flying over Glasgow was freaking lost and desperately looking for visual landmarks

And here is a close up – resolution is poor – but this is not a conspiracy – the GE images of much of rural Scotland are worse than this

Click image for fullsize

The measurement line , I believe represents the 1941 extent of the original 1190 yard runway . So it shows just how big the extension section actually is

Lastly Here is a scan of the RAF Machrihanish entry in “ military airfields in the British isles 1939~1945 (omnibus edition) “

< br /> Click image for fullsize

The co ordinates are :

55 26 30 N

05 41 55 W

For those who want to take a look

That’s all for now ,

I do have some 35MM slides “ somewhere “ that should show the base – they are from 1988 / 90 climbing expeditions – so were not taken with any interest in conspiracies etc in mind – so I doubt they will show much

Digging them out is now on my to do list

APE OUT

[edit: resized images]
Mod Edit: Image Size – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 6/17/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
And how easy would it be to make a fake picture...?? it's just a triangle... I can do one of those on paint...

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   
So that is RAF Machrihanish?, It was labelled 'Cambeltown Airport' on a few maps

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 01:29 AM
link   
RAF Machrihanish closed a number of years ago, it is now Campletown Airport - a civil airfield. There are no military personnel stationed there, because it's not a military base and there is no infrastructure to support military activity, other than what was left behind. It does not have the longest runway in Europe, nothing like it, Heathrow has a longer runway. The old A bomb dump, SEAL accommodation and some hangers are still there, but there's not a lot inside. Someone in the MOD should authorise an 'Open Day' and let all the spotters who come up with these ridiculous stories have a wander around the place to see for themselves.

The only reason people keep coming up with these daft stories about Aurora, Black Triangles, etc. etc opering out of Campletown is because it is very remote and so it's unlikely another spotter will be able to discount their 'scoop'.

If the US ever felt like operating a new top secret aircraft out of a UK base, and I doubt they would need to, there are other fairly remote bases that would be perfectly suitable and where a night arrival and night departure would probably pass without comment.

Hypersoar

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Will the real “ longest runway “ please stand up

Amsterdam
Schiphol EHAM AMS Civ. Yes Paved Yes 11400 ft

London
Heathrow EGLL LHR Civ. Yes Paved Yes 12800 ft

Campbeltown
Campbeltown EGEC CAL Civ. No Paved No 9500 ft

This is “ only “ included – because this is the former RAF Machrihanish

Here is the “ official “ blurb on campbeltown :

airport info

Boscombe Down Boscombe Down EGDM Mil. No Paved Yes 10500 ft

Brize Norton Brize Norton AB EGVN BZZ Mil. Yes Paved Yes 10000 ft

London
Gatwick EGKK LGW Civ. Yes Paved Yes 10800 ft

Madrid
Barajas LEMD MAD Civ. Yes Paved Yes 14200 ft

Istres Le Tube AB LFMI Civ. Pto. Paved Yes 12300ft

I could go on – but all the runways above have claims to be “ Europe’s longest “ – and also have claims of several different lengths

But strangely – despite being longer than several of the above runways ,

Lyon
Satolas LFLL LYS Civ. Yes Paved Yes 13100ft

Has never claimed the title [ at least not in any source I have seen ]

Lastly RAF fairford makes a claim as do other military installations , obviously there can only be one longest

Fairfords current claim is 4200m [ 12600 feet ] but from my readings this includes a pair of 300m plus over run areas

From my rudimentary research – there is more than one way to measure a runway – obvious I know – but how much of the paved / unpaved runoffs and emergency aprons – are measured can make all the difference

Based on its modernity – I would bet on Madrid as being the real winner

Unless a better informed ATS member has better into

APE OUT

PS – another problem even I can identify from the list I have given is that runways are extended and shortened for various reasons . And several of the figures above , contradict what I have read in official printed sources

But the bottom line is that campbeltown / Machrihanish – is not even a real contender

And is now a CIVIL facility , and has been since 1997 , so claims that it was an aurora base in 202 are patently absurd

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I was looking at the Runway, and was thinking "That's a small arse runway for a supposed Hypersonic aircraft with pulse detonating engines
."

Yeah, not big at all, certainly not the biggest in Europe. Sorry Browno, nice try though.

Shattered OUT...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join