It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Race on to build latest, greatest nuclear bomb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Just saw this on msnbc.com

link to story: www.msnbc.msn.com...

Just what the world needs...another arms race!

[edit on 15-6-2006 by jedimindcontrol]

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I dont see how this could start a new arms race as they are only replacing existing warheads with a new and improved warhead. The biggest problem is we havent been testing our nuclear weapons, we need to have a testing program (underground of course) for the aging warheads.

the Russians have upgraded their ICBMs as well with newer warheads. the "Topol" I believe was what I last heard they upgraded.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Another arms race ? I hardly see how this will start off another arms race.All i see from this is the development of a replacement warhead for those currently in service in the inventory.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
hmmm...so you honestly believe that if the US makes a plan to replace roughly 6,000 nuclear weapons with new designs that other countries will not follow?

They claim that the new design would have to be of the same explosive power by "law" and the 2002 treaty calls for the stockpile to be no greater than 2200 warheads. But what would prevent Russia from disregarding that and developing more powerful weapons and in greater numbers to counter the US?

What about N. Korea and Iran stopping their nuclear programs if the US is newly developing theirs?

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
jedi

most of our stockpile is over 25 years old. now i'm not a nuclear physicist but you have to imagine that the nukes would eventually become unstable. we can't maintain MAD with the rest of the world if our nukes don't work.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   

The biggest problem is we havent been testing our nuclear weapons

No. It's not 'havent' it's 'have' you want there.

In any case, rubbish weapon. It just destroys everything - you can't even take uncontaminated land as war spoils. You're left not only with contaminated dead land, but that will also infect everywhere else. It's more the sort of thing that would be a last resort in scenarios we just never have had here, other than in sci-fi novels.

new topics

top topics

join