It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

more than 50 states in america

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
i dunno how this happend. but some schools in Norway. they had learn its 52states in USA, i knowe its onely 50. some one says it was 52 before and now its 50. but thats wrong??, hav it ever ben 52states? have it ben 2-3states, that had become 1,

sorry if this is posted on the wrong plase

mod edit: title clarity

[edit on 15-6-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   
It's a common misconception that there are 50 continental states in the U.S. and that Hawaii and Alaska are the other two. So that's why they make that mistake.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I think Iraq and Afghanistan are now or will shortly be states, of course that will make Puerto Rico mad.

But seriously, TheBandits explanation makes sense.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
There are only 44 states in the Continental United States.
Alaska and Hawaii make the total 46.

Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Kentucky are Commonwealths and not states.

The difference is in name only.
These four Commonwealths chose to call themselves Commonwealths instead of states.

It doesn't make too much difference.
The legalities et al are the same and it's only a name.

Just a little trivia for your Thursday morning entertainment....

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
It's a common misconception that there are 50 continental states in the U.S. and that Hawaii and Alaska are the other two.

!?
Really? Thats interesting. I would've thought that the confusion was over 'territories', like Porto Rico, etc.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   
well if states have representation in congress than DC counts as one, although not really

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 06:16 AM
link   
In my experience, the number 52 comes up when foreigners count D.C. and Puerto Rico as States.

Even though four States call themselves "commonwealths", they are still States, so they still count towards the 50.

Anyway, the U.S. has 50 States, 1 district, 1 commonwealth, and 3 incorporated territories:

-all 50 States (48 contiguous States, then Alaska and Hawaii)
-1 district, the District of Colombia (as in Washington, D.C.)
-1 commonwealth, Puerto Rico (with a commonwealth legally existing between being a State and being a territory)
-3 incorporated territories (the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa)
-and, finally, about a dozen unicorporated territories (ex: Johnston Atoll, a small, isolated island in the Pacific)

Any U.S. land or water not part of a State are directly governed by the U.S. Congress.

Territories that are 'incorporated' are those that actually have civilians living there; 'unincorporated' territories are usually isolated islands that either no one lives on, or are just used by the U.S. government.

Technically, the 50 States and D.C. are permanant, inseperable parts of the U.S.; Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, and American Samoa technically are supposed to one day make the choice between either becoming U.S. States themselves or independent countries. (They have to take their time to decide, though! Because once you're part of the Union, you can never leave it! The Civil War decided that question!
)

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I heard an opinion from an Arab:
American do have 52 states if add Britain and Israel

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I'd be willing to bet that no new states are going to be added to the US. Who would want a 51 star flag?

[edit on 2-7-2006 by Pragmatist Centrist]

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pragmatist Centrist
I'd be willing to bet that no new states are going to be added to the US. Who would want a 51 star flag?

The land that wants to be the 51st state would want that.

lolol

NN

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
we may not have more than 50 states, but DC may get state-like representation in congress

there have been proposals to give it a single rep in the house and 1 electoral vote

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 01:10 AM
link   

I doubt most people would even notice the difference between a 50-star flag, and a 51-star flag, unless the difference was specifically pointed out to them:
www.fotw.net...

Well, there seems to be at least one group of Puerto Ricans who support the idea of making Puerto Rico the 51st U.S. state:
studentorgs.gwu.edu...

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
we may not have more than 50 states, but DC may get state-like representation in congress

there have been proposals to give it a single rep in the house and 1 electoral vote

ugh this is way overdue...

DC - the only place you'll be taxed without any sort of representation.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by negativenihil

ugh this is way overdue...

DC - the only place you'll be taxed without any sort of representation.

Uhh... Puerto Rico?

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I think the confusion is because there are 52 cards in a deck and we get that number stuck in our heads. :p

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 06:28 AM
link   

[edit on 2-7-2006 by Pragmatist Centrist]
I want a 51 star.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
We could always just formally take over Iraq (formal annexation) and call it New Texas. Hey, I remember hearing rumors about Texas. Since they were a country before they joined the union, I heard they were allowed to secede (spelling) if they wanted. It was just a rumor but I have no idea if its true and I really don't feeling like looking up their state constitution.

Hey, useless information about the states. Ohio was actually one of the last to join the union. We did the paperwork back in like 1803 or something but we never sent it in. They didn't figure that out til much later but Ohio had been a state for something like 150 years. The president at the time just made them a state and said the hell with it.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThunderCloud
In my experience, the number 52 comes up when foreigners count D.C. and Puerto Rico as States.

Even though four States call themselves "commonwealths", they are still States, so they still count towards the 50.

Anyway, the U.S. has 50 States, 1 district, 1 commonwealth, and 3 incorporated territories:

-all 50 States (48 contiguous States, then Alaska and Hawaii)
-1 district, the District of Colombia (as in Washington, D.C.)
-1 commonwealth, Puerto Rico (with a commonwealth legally existing between being a State and being a territory)
-3 incorporated territories (the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa)
-and, finally, about a dozen unicorporated territories (ex: Johnston Atoll, a small, isolated island in the Pacific)

Any U.S. land or water not part of a State are directly governed by the U.S. Congress.

Territories that are 'incorporated' are those that actually have civilians living there; 'unincorporated' territories are usually isolated islands that either no one lives on, or are just used by the U.S. government.

Technically, the 50 States and D.C. are permanant, inseperable parts of the U.S.; Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, and American Samoa technically are supposed to one day make the choice between either becoming U.S. States themselves or independent countries. (They have to take their time to decide, though! Because once you're part of the Union, you can never leave it! The Civil War decided that question!
)

From my understanding of the current constitution every state is an independant nation bound in a republic with a centeral government. Much like the EU. If a state so chooses they can leave the republic and become a foriegn soveriegn state. If the centeral government fails the terrirories it represents, why shouldnt those states be allowed to leave?? The federal governments only position of power is to govern international relations, war, projects to benefit the country as whole, maintaining an army, and most specifically protecting our natural rights. They may create laws for the union so long as they benifit the union.

When the Federal gov goes in and rapes a states rights, like here in Ohio when they FORCED us to change our drinking age from 19 to 21 by FORCING us to bend backwards by taking our highway funding away. The federal government was not formed for this reason, often acts out of bounds, in alot of ways illegal.

If a state today where to decide it doesnt want to be apart of the republic, like say Florida, then there is nothing we can do to stop it. Of course.. unless we attack it, destroy the interior, murder the people, pillage the towns, decimate the culture. We did that before.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg
There are only 44 states in the Continental United States.
Alaska and Hawaii make the total 46.

Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Kentucky are Commonwealths and not states.

The difference is in name only.
These four Commonwealths chose to call themselves Commonwealths instead of states.

It doesn't make too much difference.
The legalities et al are the same and it's only a name.

Just a little trivia for your Thursday morning entertainment....

In that case, California and Texis are republics. Add them to the list.

There are only 50 states in the U.S. and its been like that since 1950, with Hawaii being the last state.

And people whinge about American geographical education being a joke..................

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   

They already have 3 electoral votes.

Twenty-Third Amendment

top topics

<<   2 >>

join