It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silent Yellowstone geyser erupts

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I am also really quite interested in Yellowstone. As such, I try to watch programmes on tv about it. Today I watched "Supervolcanoes Investigated" on National Geographic. One fact is that although there is uplift, it also goes back down as well. There was a Native American site on the edge of the lake which had moved several times over a few hundred years. So the uplift does happen, but it also falls, as these archaeological findings proved.

The major difficulty with yellowstone is that it has always had sign of an imminent eruption, such as small tremors, Hydrothermal activity and the like. So it could go very soon.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by apex
The major difficulty with yellowstone is that it has always had sign of an imminent eruption, such as small tremors, Hydrothermal activity and the like. So it could go very soon.

That's a valid point - we've only been studying Yellowstone, whilst knowing that it's a supervolcano, for a few decades. The caldera wasn't discovered until the 1970's and there have only been people in the area with written records for the past 150-odd years. Geologically speaking that's a fraction of a second. We have no idea yet what is 'normal' background activity for Yellowstone. It might be the current level - or it might be less.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join