It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al-Qaeda 'coming to end in Iraq'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Just a quick note, found this on BBCnews.

The killing of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi marks the "beginning of the end" of al-Qaeda in Iraq, the country's national security adviser has said.

Mowaffaq al-Rubaie said the seizure of documents after the raid that killed Zarqawi provided key information about the militant group and its leaders.

Mr Rubaie said a pocket hard drive, a laptop and documents were found in the debris after the strike.

The documents and records revealed the names and whereabouts of other al-Qaeda in Iraq leaders, he said, adding that more information has since been found in raids on other insurgent hideouts.

Here is the link to BBC article

Im sure that I read that 2, 500 pound bombs were dropped on that place!! Ive read about his body surviving pretty much unscathed and now all this survives!!! Sounds kinda convenient, like them finding all that stuff in Atta's parked car at the airport!! hmmm..

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 15/6/2006 by Mirthful Me]

CX

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   
You're right, it does sound very conveniant, however it's not impossible.

If you remember, a German data recovery company were sifting through bits of computers from the WTC to see what dodgy dealings were going on just before the planes hit.

A world leader in retrieving data, German-based firm Convar is trying to answer those questions and help credit card companies, telecommunications firms and accountants in New York recover their records from computer hard drives that have been partially damaged by fire, water or fine dust.

Using a pioneering laser scanning technology to find data on damaged computer hard drives and main frames found in the rubble of the World Trade Center and other nearby collapsed buildings, Convar has recovered information from 32 computers that support assumptions of dirty doomsday dealings.

Source: www.prisonplanet.com...

A fair bit of damage was caused that day too was'nt it, but things do survive these sort of events. The laptop and hard drive may have been in a terrible state, but thats not to say they can't get info from it.

CX.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 06:15 AM
link   
One of the most interesting aspects of the AQ documents coming out is their strategy to encourage conflict between the US and Iran. It discussed planning false flag attacks and using other disinformation tactics (including fake Iranian defectors telling WMD tales) to encourage a military conflict between the US and Iran, in order to weaken the Shia in Iraq, not to mention the US. Fascinating stuff.

I wonder if those banging the drum for war with Iran here realize they have been eagerly playing into Al Quaeda's hands?

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
So Atta info was planted?

I was about 3 miles away from that car on 9/11.

Maybe I planted it then? I am out for world domination.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by eoyn
Im sure that I read that 2, 500 pound bombs were dropped on that place!! Ive read about his body surviving pretty much unscathed and now all this survives!!! Sounds kinda convenient, like them finding all that stuff in Atta's parked car at the airport!! hmmm..

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 15/6/2006 by Mirthful Me]

It was two 500 lb bombs not 2500. When you get a bunch of fresh intel and use it immediately as the guys have done by now, it creates a domino effect in your favor (if your not a terrorist). See they went and hit a bunch of safe houses they found out about at the Zarqawi site. What did they find? Intel about other sites, and so on. You can call it "convenient" but it's exactly what they were hoping for.

From Al AP:
hosted.ap.org...

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Earlybird
When you get a bunch of fresh intel and use it immediately as the guys have done by now, it creates a domino effect in your favor (if your not a terrorist). See they went and hit a bunch of safe houses they found out about at the Zarqawi site.

I really think much of this announcement is baloney. Sure there was some intel and some phone numbers, but I doubt the addresses of safe houses were all neatly stored in a Microsoft Access database on Zarqawi's laptop.

On an unrelated note, I would like to know the brand of the portable hard drive that Zarqawi's used. I like the media that survives two strikes by 500 lbs bombs in a row. Now, this is some tough gear.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
On an unrelated note, I would like to know the brand of the portable hard drive that Zarqawi's used. I like the media that survives two strikes by 500 lbs bombs in a row. Now, this is some tough gear.

I belive it was a thumb drive or flash drive not a portable harddrive...

When asked how he could be sure the information was authentic, al-Rubaie said "there is nothing more authentic than finding a thumbdrive in his pocket."

Link

Sure there was some intel and some phone numbers, but I doubt the addresses of safe houses were all neatly stored in a Microsoft Access database on Zarqawi's laptop.

You never know, it could've been very well stored that way...

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   
A 500lb bomb isn't simply going to vaporize everything in the vicinity. It's an HE bomb not a nuke.

A small solid object like a USB thumbdrive, with no moving parts, could easily survive a near-miss by a conventional bomb, it would simply get tossed by the blast.

Also I don't see how the information being released would be good US propaganda, especially the bit about Iran. If anything the US has tried to make it appear Iran and Al Quaeda are all part of the Happy Terrorist Pals Club, not the mortal enemies they actually are.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I think your mis-quote may have been a Freudian slip.

They said it was possibly the end to Al Qaeda in Iraq not Al Qaeda in Iraq.

AQII was created to accomodate Zaqwari's approach (which was seen as counter-productive by AQ) and yet claim his 'successes' as part of the wider AQ struggle.

So without Zaqwari AQII is finished (or so they hope) but AQ certainly isn't finished in Iraq.

AQ will continue in Iraq but will concentrate on attacking coalition troops rather than the web-terror kidnappings that Zaqwari favoured. Apparently the use of such tactics was cause of serious disagreement between AQ and AQII

Edit - too many initials

[edit on 15-6-2006 by Strangerous]

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   
It looks like whatever they had hoped for utterly failed, Al-Qaida-in-Iraq, the organization, seems to be going strong in the past week or so.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   
With or without my friend Abu, the US is still in Iraq, the "terrorists" still have control and everything's crazy. Anyway, there was an article in The Seattle Times about Abu Musab not being killed by bombs, but by some American beating him up. Well, well, well. Hm? Since that happened in Haditha, how do you know if he was killed by bombs or if HE WAS EVEN killed OR if he was beaten to death?

top topics

join