It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So you think snakes can't eat humans? Think Again!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I've always wondered if the infamous pictures of the anaconda with a human body inside it were for real and not a hoax...well, this video pretty much sums up the answer that it is indeed possible for a snaked to swallow/eat a human whole.

Watch this video clip of a snake ingesting a whole hippo...amazing. Towards the end though, the snake spits it back up...

www.break.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 04:48 AM
link   

That's disgusting! Well it looks like either a baby hippo or maybe a dwarf hippo. Still, quite the "Achievement". Maybe it spit it out because it was under stress seeing that the guy keeps poking it?

Cug

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 04:59 AM
link   
The snake was spit out because they ran the film backwards.

A pythons teeth face backwards so there is no way for them to spit out an entire hippo. When they eat they slide one side of their jaws a few inches, the teeth hook into the dinner, then the same on the other side, basically walking the jaws over the hippo.

Notice they also killed the sound so you don't hear the people talking backwards.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 05:06 AM
link   
personally is someone kept poking me when i was trying to eat id spit it out as well. and then id try and eat the guy lol.

The python for example can grow to enormous lengths, one held in captivity grew to 49 foot 983lbs. www.msnbc.msn.com...

as for the case of them eating humans its very plausable. there have been cases of them eating small children

A GIANT python capable of eating a small child when it grows to full size has been seized by Victorian authorities.

link

Although this is considered very rare it has been known to happen,
home.att.net...
home.att.net...
some info on the anaconda

i quite well believe that is these snakes can swallow hippos and other large mammels then why not humans? as said before this is apparently quit rare for a giant snake to eat a small child or adult but it has happend

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cug
The snake was spit out because they ran the film backwards.

haha i never noticed that and should have realised about the teeth in a snake

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Seen that ont his site before, its quite amusing.

FYI, that isn't being played in reverse.
The Snake is actually regurgitating the Hippo, i know this for 2 reasons.
1)Look at the man walking behind, his motion is to fluid to be backwards.
2)Its a natural response to Danger.
If the Snake perceives a threat before digestion has begun to take any real hold, it can quickly regurgitate so it can make a get away. In this case, I should expect people have been touching it, pointing at it and/or moving very close to it.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 05:34 AM
link   
That was very amazing to see! Although im a bit baffled at the fact that it de-swallows it.. AFAIK they have teeth in place that wouldnt admit that, especially not with suck a large animal that fills up the entire mouth.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Yeah, I was going to say what JebusSaves just said. Pythons can regurgitate food that's too large or when they need to make a quick getaway (most probably what we see in the video...)

A good rule of thumb is to offer no food item that is larger than the largest part of the snake. Items that are too large will cause the snake to regurgitate the food.

Source

However, avoid handling for a couple of days after feeding or your snake my regurgitate.

Source

I've once seen an African Rock Python regurgitate an impala, but this killed the snake, because the horns of the antelope became stuck in its mouth.

Edit: Oops

[edit on 15-6-2006 by Gemwolf]

Cug

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Ahhh OK I stand corrected.

Oddly enough I received applause for that incorrect post.
Well I guess the how a snake eats was worth it.

So I guess they stopped the sound to hide all the humans going EWWWWWWWW and spiting up their dinners in the background.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 06:24 AM
link   
The slime and bodily fluids comming out of the snake when its spitting out the baby hypo is also a pointer to it being real and not run backward.

Another thing to notice is the pythons position when the hypo was just outed, it wouldn't be behind the creature in a curled up pile if it was just about to eat it.

Even if you feed a python a dead prey, it'll do its strangle hold and eat it from there. Its a natural instinct and it helps the python to crush the bones inside the prey to make it easyer going down.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
people that think its played in reverse dont have a pet python. they can easily swallow a rat. an found out the hard way trying to pick a snake up in that process gives it fear knowing it cant get away with a heavy object holding them down in an a minute a small python could toss up a rat .

i expected more from you cug, your a scholar

[edit on 16-6-2006 by DalairTheGreat]

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Howdy folks...

I don't think it's a hippo, the feet are wrong there are only 3 toes and a hippo has 4, I think that it's a Tapir or maybe a Capybara...

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I cant see this clip or many of the other clips posted here on ats. For some reason, the video screen says "Click here to download plug-in", but when I click it, it doesn't find any new updates or files needed to play the clip. Do you guys know about any drivers or files I need to download in order to play these?

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I watched a program on Discovery about a month ago. The authorities in Burma I think found a man who had been killed by a python and the only reasons the snake didn't actually swallow the man was because a police officer came upon the scene. Also on the same program a woman scientist was studying the anaconda down in South America. She had tagged some with tracking devices and was tracking on that she had named Luna but while she was tracking Luna; Luna was tracking her for lunch. Darn near go her. The film crew showed the snake when it got into striking position the head was at eye level. Scared the scientist but she's back out in the field. She ran really fast. Personally I would have been to scared to move.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by gallopinghordes
I watched a program on Discovery about a month ago. The authorities in Burma I think found a man who had been killed by a python and the only reasons the snake didn't actually swallow the man was because a police officer came upon the scene...

LOL, it didn't wanna be arrested for concealing the evidence....its politacl correctness gone mad

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by JebusSaves

Originally posted by gallopinghordes
I watched a program on Discovery about a month ago. The authorities in Burma I think found a man who had been killed by a python and the only reasons the snake didn't actually swallow the man was because a police officer came upon the scene...

LOL, it didn't wanna be arrested for concealing the evidence....its politacl correctness gone mad
I hadn't thought about that omg you're probably right.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 02:23 AM
link   
ya pythons have been known to be able to eat babies but the feet looked different from a hippo but im no zoologist

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   
As far as I remember, I have seen on TV a python ripped open to take out a human body here in the Philippines. It was 2001, i think. Here's the story:

It was about 7pm. There was this man chopping some firewoods not far from their house. Their house is located in a bamboo-filled forest where pythons live.
That night, while his wife was preparing dinner she suddenly heard her husband screaming. As she went out the house to go check her husband, the screaming of her husband seemed to slowly going far away from the man's original location. It was like he was being dragged by something.
That night, the man was not found until the next day where a group of men found a dead python with a very big belly as there was something on it. Suspiscious and curious, two of the men ripped the belly open and found a very gory sight. The missing man was inside, dead and not yet in decomposition status.
Experts eventually found out that the python died of its food's struggle inside(the man still had his bolo knife). But unfortunately, the victim died of suffocation and/or drowning. Too sad.

Actually, there was a footage of the python and the victim's remains when it was still over the police lines.

The show where I saw the story was called Magandang Gabi, Bayan(Good Evening, Fellow nation) of ABS-CBN.

[edit on 6/18/06 by VincentValentine]

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by VincentValentine
It was about 7pm. There was this man chopping some firewoods not far from their house. Their house is located in a bamboo-filled forest where pythons live.
That night, while his wife was preparing dinner she suddenly heard her husband screaming. As she went out the house to go check her husband, the screaming of her husband seemed to slowly going far away from the man's original location. It was like he was being dragged by something.
That night, the man was not found until the next day where a group of men found a dead python with a very big belly as there was something on it. Suspiscious and curious, two of the men ripped the belly open and found a very gory sight. The missing man was inside, dead and not yet in decomposition status.
Experts eventually found out that the python died of its food's struggle inside(the man still had his bolo knife). But unfortunately, the victim died of suffocation and/or drowning. Too sad.

Actually this story doesnt make sense.
The Python is a constrictor. It uses it body to wrap around the body of any animal and using its intense muscles it squeezes until the 'food' is dead.
This would affect the screaming. Ther man would not be able to do this for long.
Then the scream was moving, again doesnt make sense.
Either the snake was pulling the man, which it wouldn't do, or he was still alive and concious inside the snake, which wouldn't happen, as the snake would only eat the man when he was sure that it was dead.

I think whatever show told you this story was either pulling your leg, didnt understand and communicate the facts accurately or simply doesn't understand what actually happened...or you didn't fully listen to what was said and 'filled in the blanks'...either way, no harm done now you know

[edit on 18/6/2006 by JebusSaves]

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
The snake regurgetated the hippo because of stress. Feeling the need to fight or run, it can not do either. So the snake got rid of the weight. It is very common it get rid of the food in times of stress.

I don't think there should be any question, that a big enough snake can eat a human. We can be food also. I don't think animals should be put down when they do eat humans.

[edit on 18-6-2006 by SpittinCobra]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join