It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-matter manufacturing and fabrication.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Caligulas
Well,don't be such a perfectionist!
Of course we will never be able to produce *true* antimatter and blow the whole Universe apart!
But if you change the spin ,you will get a "antimatter effect" as ,by flipping a coin on a table ,it gets an "antigravity effect"
Our task after all,is not to produce antimatter,but to find power sources for starships and other human mundane activities.

Well, yes, we have produced *true* antimatter. It also happens all the time naturally. It doesn't "blow the universe apart". All those positrons and antiprotons they churn out at CERN using particle collisions, they're all "true" antimatter. Also, some forms of beta decay can cause positron emissions naturally. Those are "true" antimatter as well.

And I've never seen a flipped coin exhibit anti-gravity either.

As for the perfectionism, I guess it's the physics and EE degrees. You tend to have to get things right or they don't work.

On the power source issue, I feel queasy making detailed comments about that in regards to certain topics due to NDAs and this would be one. However, that's probably not a bad issue to explore in a non-detailed way.

What if, say, you had a magic techno-wand and could create antimatter at a net energy gain? Would that be good or bad?

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Caligulas
Well,don't be such a perfectionist!
Of course we will never be able to produce *true* antimatter and blow the whole Universe apart!
But if you change the spin ,you will get a "antimatter effect" as ,by flipping a coin on a table ,it gets an "antigravity effect"
Our task after all,is not to produce antimatter,but to find power sources for starships and other human mundane activities.

I believe it's our machines, the probes and satellites that will do the exploring for us. For now anyways.

Anti-matter will not be produced in huge amounts for space travel . Not for a very long time...centuries for sure.

But how about the particle accelerators ? they are really impressive. Hundreds of thousands of magnets go on and off repeatedly untill they speed up the hydrogen particles. The collision is so intense that the anti-matter almost becomes like a miniature black hole. So the small amount of anti-matter we are producing will really help us understand black holes better. And maybe get us one step closer to truth .

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join