It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survey Result Shows The US To Be Biggest Global Peace Threat

page: 1http:/
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   
A survey by the Pew Research Group of 17,000 people in 15 countries, including the United States, has found that people view the United States as a greater threat to global peace than Iran's nuclear programme. It also showed that surveyed opinion on the War On Terror has remained the same or fallen in the last 3 years.

news.bbc.co.uk
The latest survey shows the worldwide reputation of the US continues to suffer over its prosecution of the "war on terror".

Sharp declines in the public perception of the US were particularly apparent in India, Spain and Turkey.

Goodwill towards the US had fallen from 71% to 56% in India, from 41% to 23% in Spain and from 23% to 12% in Turkey.

A majority of people in 10 of the 14 countries outside the US surveyed said the war in Iraq had made the world a more dangerous place.

Some 60% of people in the UK, which is the US biggest ally, felt the Iraq war had made the world less secure, while some 30% said it had made the world safer.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As much as people like to dismiss polls they dont like, and embrace ones they do like this survey is a pretty good indication of how people view the United States and its War on Terror.

People wouldnt be surprised that global fear surrounding Iran's nuclear program has tripled in the last three years. But when that same fear is still less than that surrounding the United States and its War on Terror it's really saying something.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   
No matter 'whos side yer on' that sucks a bit no doubt. I take a very neutral approach . I mean I dont think that this strategy was executed flawlessly or anything but there is still a possibility that this will all pan out in the histrorylongterm . Goals of merit: Successful representative government in Iraq.
Same in Afghanistan
Libyas cooperation(positive side effect)
That this democratic Iraq would help
reform the rest of the region.

Aside from any analysis of the actual strategies employed in pursuit of these goals they are fine idea and I think had we really fought for it with the world community and even included them more in forming it, perhaps it would be showing better results. However the policy good or bad, is now a scenario in which we find ourselves and the leader who comes to power in 2008 will probably have to finish it before starting any stories of their own.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Add me to the list of believers who think the US is a much greater threat than Iran and Iraq (even with Saddam) combined.
I've seen more threats come from the US than anyone else, yet they claim others are threatening them.
I see the US as the biggest hippocrates, get rid of your nuclear bombs why don't you?
I also see the USA as starting WWIII.

Sad but true, those are my true thoughts
I am not being political here, this is how I believe, I am not brainwashed, any Bush supporter can disagree with my thoughts all they want, it won't change how I, and millions of Canadians think as well. I'd be hard pressed to find a fellow Canadian who supports the Bush regime, there aren't many.

I wish my neighbours down south could do something about that, it's a real shame, what has happened to America
, where's the protests?

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Toadmond,

See, its ok for you to say this. You're from Canada. If you speak out here, you are Anti-American, dont support the troops, and in general are a left-winged nut.

We are getting what we deserve. Period. Where are the protesters? They're in their chicken coops, nesting until its all over. Amazing how it all stopped.
Who's to blame? The people of the United States of America. We could have stopped this horsie a long time ago, but we are beaten into submission. It is as it is.
I dont beleive there is a way out anymore.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   
No matter what you want to try to claim, surveys "are not good indicators of anything"... Surveys can be rigged to say anything those who are making the survey want to claim.... and a survey of 1,000 people in 15 countries surely is not a survey of what the people mayority of those people in those countries think...

Sorry, but when you have dictatorships in the world which, for example have killed over 2.6 million people since 1983, in Sudan alone, and then people try to claim that "The U.S. is the worse threat to peace in the world" there is a political reason for anyone trying to claim this because it is simply not true. Try to find what is the #1 reason for most conflicts in the world and maybe you will understand how brainwashed you and some other people are as to the truth. PC is allowing such bs to be spread, and people getting panicky and believing that "leaving the terrorists alone will make the world a better place" is only going to allow the terrorists to run rampart and do anything and everything they want.

There are so many people that are so scared to fight these days that they are willing to let terrorists do anything and everything they want, and they are willing to put forth a scapegoat which hasn't been liked by Europeans for decades now.

[edit on 14-6-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   
and if you speak in favour of fighting the war on terror you are called a right wing nut, a warmonger, a Nazi, etc, etc, etc... you still have the right to think what you want to think, and to express your views in a peaceful manner, which is a lot more than other people can do in their own countries...

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 09:11 AM
link   
" As you sow so shall you reap"

Unfortunately as long as economics dictates our foreign policy little will change. Say what you like this is what people think.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   
(all quotes by muaddib)

No matter what you want to try to claim, surveys "are not good indicators of anything"... Surveys can be rigged to say anything those who are making the survey want to claim.... and a survey of 1,000 people in 15 countries surely is not a survey of what the people mayority of those people in those countries think...

Say as you will, but talk to the people that are your closest neighbors (Canadians) and you will find those surveys quite accurate, there is no denying it, I talk about this stuff with people and hear people talk about it, the opinion of your government is not good at all. Come to Canada, pretend you are a Canadian, start talking about your government and you will see for yourself, I am not exagerating!

Sorry, but when you have dictatorships in the world which, for example have killed over 2.6 million people since 1983, in Sudan alone, and then people try to claim that "The U.S. is the worse threat to peace in the world" there is a political reason for anyone trying to claim this because it is simply not true.

Please tell me then why most people in the world believe it IS true that the US is a meddling threat to world peace, and you do not?

Try to find what is the #1 reason for most conflicts in the world and maybe you will understand how brainwashed you and some other people are as to the truth. PC is allowing such bs to be spread, and people getting panicky and believing that "leaving the terrorists alone will make the world a better place" is only going to allow the terrorists to run rampart and do anything and everything they want.

Who is brainwashed, you, or them, or me? And yeah, leave them alone, let them kill themselves, less will die because of that reason alone.
Please, stop it, you are sounding like the 'ugly American' who believes, they bad, we good. The horse is dead, stop beating it.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
That poll would have a hard time playing unbiased, since from the first word, they asked the wrong question...

They should have asked the specific question of "do you think BUSH is the biggest threat to global peace?" then they would have got more specific results, and honestly...
I think the percentage would have been alot higher with that question...

THe US and its power are only a worldly threat, in the wrong hands...
same goes for North Korea, Russia, Iran, China...ect
Russia, China, and Europe are largely in the right hands, While Iran, N korea, and the USA are in the wrong hands...

and the only reason we are a bigger threat than they are, is that we are bigger and better equiped...
Give Iran nukes, and they quickly become the greatest threat...

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Not exactly a startling revelation, but excellent to see some documentation regarding the World view of an Empirialistic Fascist stuporpower.
I feel terrible for the average American citizen, who believed in the founding doctrine, called a constitution, only to wake up and find it has been tramped upon by an elite few "elected" to power.
What once was a strong, powerful, virtuous, caring, respectful global citizen has now become the greedy, whiny, abusive, threatening sibling that the rest of the family must tolerate (but would really just love to ignore).
It has been very clear for a long time that the citizens of the U.S. must rise and take control of their own destiny and not tolerate the misguided, self-destructive actions of their elected officials. I was hoping that the immigration issue which sparked thousands of protestors, would be a catalyst for social and political reform.
Unfortunately, it will have to be an event of much more significance like nation-wide power outages that disable the citizens televisions, PC's and other entertainment devices.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Yeah, that really struck me as odd, that illegal Mexican immigrants can hold massive demonstrations on American soil, and Americans can't even motivate themselves to protest way more important issues on their own soil.
Perhaps Americans don't feel not American enough to care?

Yet, I'm no better, when is the last time I protested anything? I just sit here and whine.
Where's my cheese?

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Sorry, but when you have dictatorships in the world which, for example have killed over 2.6 million people since 1983, in Sudan alone, and then people try to claim that "The U.S. is the worse threat to peace in the world" there is a political reason for anyone trying to claim this because it is simply not true. Try to find what is the #1 reason for most conflicts in the world and maybe you will understand how brainwashed you and some other people are as to the truth. PC is allowing such bs to be spread, and people getting panicky and believing that "leaving the terrorists alone will make the world a better place" is only going to allow the terrorists to run rampart and do anything and everything they want.

There are so many people that are so scared to fight these days that they are willing to let terrorists do anything and everything they want, and they are willing to put forth a scapegoat which hasn't been liked by Europeans for decades now.

I know its disgusting....I cant believe there are so many in europe who just "lets just leave them alone do they dont hurt us" even after the london bombings they would rather roll over and say "oh well, its really the US fault, they threaten global peace"

yes, see its because 9/11 was our fault, its actually a government conspiracy to frame innocent muslim radicals, who yes, just happen to kill civilians and anyone they can get their hands on, BUT its the US fault!!!! they caused the Terrorists to hate everybody!!! and we shouldnt be in their countries.....oh we are soooo bad.....
I post weekly on ATS massacres and hateful propaganda because Im a true american
pshaw!!!

let me get my boots out, the manure is getting pretty deep in here....

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Its not because we dont have anyone willing to fight, its because we dont have any leaders left.

Wellstone was the only one to vote no to the Iraq invasion who was running for reelection. He was dead right before he would have probably gotten reelected. As much as people want to bash tupac, he had writting of plans to start a political party for poor and minorities. He was planning to serious get into politics (he would not run because he had a criminal record). He was no role model, but he was looking for a change. Wheres all the leaders?

Whos left thats actually talking for the poor people and middle class? Do you have any middle class or lower class leaders that are speaking out and actively trying to change things? If you know a leader, and believe what they are saying, but you dont have "the time" to support them then to me thats unamerican. Its time the leaders come out of the shadows and start to speak for us on a bigger scale. Question is though, would they just be killed like the many others?

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
No matter what you want to try to claim, surveys "are not good indicators of anything"... Surveys can be rigged to say anything those who are making the survey want to claim....

So opinion polls of the president's performance are "not good indicators of anything?"

Are exit polls taken of voters during elections "not good indicators of anything?"

Please enlighten me to what exactly you mean.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I think the U.S has proven itself to be a volatile state through it's employment of terrorism as a means of political and economic coercing around the world. It's the only leading state that currently deploys military means to resolve issues which could otherwise have been through diplomatic ones.

Sorry, but when you have dictatorships in the world which, for example have killed over 2.6 million people since 1983, in Sudan alone, and then people try to claim that "The U.S. is the worse threat to peace in the world" there is a political reason for anyone trying to claim this because it is simply not true

There is a difference between the genocide in Sudan and the U.S image of being a threat to peace all around the world; Sudan is considered to have inclusive violence which can seep into surrounding areas and wholly accountable to ethnic and civil strife which has consequently lead to the death of over 2.6 million people; though, all the same, one can wonder why the United States who wants to promote Freedoms, Liberties and Democracy never chose Sudan as their test market in lieu of Iraq which really does not have a much worse track record?

Luxifero

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
He means to say that the number of people who voted President Bush into office is not a good indicator of anything, its' simply a bias outcome based upon presupposed conclusions.

Luxifero

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Once again I have to disagree with Muaddib (is anyone surprised)...it is not that i support terrorists or anything like that because I imphatically do not, but the whole notion of fighting a war or terror, muchless a long war on terror is simplistic (and asnine) in the extreme. The only serious way to deal with global terrorism is to address the issues that fuel it to begin with. Yes you have to go after the criminals but you do not need the whole weight of the american military to do that, it is kind of like going after a fly with a sledge hammer, you are more likely to cause more damage in the long run than the fly, and that is exactly what is happening. Considering the average unemployment rate in most of the thrid world hovers around 40%, that would be a good place to start. Also insetead of propping up all these little puppet regimes like we did during the cold war, encouraging the formation of governments that are actually accountable to their own people and not Washington is another good step. In the long run simplistic answers are just bandaids on running sores.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
There you have it. We have met the enemy and it is us.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by polanksi
There you have it. We have met the enemy and it is us.
Polanski, a rocket scientist couldnt have put it better.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
We are not the enemy . . . US is not the enemy . . . our nation is not the enemy. . . we have to defend ourselves from the misleading assumption that all Americans are a dangerous and that we all back what our political leaders in power are doing in the name or our nation.

I am very upset about this poll.

We have to make people around the world understand that . . . what our political leaders do is actually independently of what the general public and people of America wants.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join