It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over FIFTY earthquakes in the last several hours in Alaska and still counting

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fringefellow
Hello there danger,

I will go and check out your posts a little later tonight.
Please continue to check in here. I hope to get some input from some ideas I have coming up a bit later.

Don't get too excited, I've only posted basic pnsn.org links but it seemed like I was the only person really mentioning it so I definitely resonate with your posts

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Interesting that as I scroll down the USGS Live Seismic Server that a significant amount of charts indicate an event that was felt by so many of the stations at 04:20 UTC July 5th.

Yet there is not anything of great magnitude recorded at the USGS Earthquake Hazards Program for that time period.

[edit on 7/6/2006 by Fringefellow]

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   
oceanexplorer.noaa.gov... seafloormapping/media/heceta_orientations.html" target="_blank" class="postlink"> 3-D maps of Heceta Bank made from multibeam sonar data collected in 1998. The top image is an area about 30 miles north to south and about 10 miles east to west. The southern part of the bank has a clearly defined western edge marking an ancient shoreline. Note the sediment slide scar on the southern slope of the bank. The bottom image is the northern shoal portion of bank in sidelit bathymetry looking north-northeast in the middle portion of the bank showing details of outcropping geology . Lighting is
from right (east). The fracture patterns are "megajoints" caused by internal stresses in the earth. The curvilinear troughs in the northeast section of the view are caused by variable rates of erosion of
outcropping rocks.

Off the coasts of Oregon and Washington, the eastern edge of the Juan de Fuca tectonic plate is slowly sinking beneath North America. This entire region is an incredible natural laboratory for studying the processes occurring at the edges of the Earth's tectonic plates. The spreading, slipping and collision of these plates are the cause of nearly all of Earth's major earthquakes and volcanic activity. Although the Juan de Fuca plate is one of the smaller plates, its proximity to the continent, and to several major U.S. and Canadian centers of oceanographic research, create exciting possibilities for long-term research into the processes occurring along plate boundaries.

url=http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explorations/03titanic/rusticles/rusticles.htmloceanexplorer.noaa.gov... eology/media/bathymetry.html] Map view of the bathymetry and earthquakes[/url] (white dots) located near Astoria Canyon and the surrounding continental margin. Yellow-shaded bathymetry represents areas where the sea floor is less than 1,000 m deep; green = 1,000-2000 m deep; blue, more than 2,000 m deep. The 79 earthquakes shown in this map occurred between August 1991 and January 2001, and were located using the U.S.Navy's SOSUS hydrophones. VI = Vancouver Island, WA = Washington, OR = Oregon.

oceanexplorer.noaa.gov... geology/media/astoria_contours.html" target="_blank" class="postlink">Astoria Canyon Contours.

This diagram, called a spectrogram, shows the acoustic signal of an earthquake located near Astoria Canyon as recorded on a SOSUS hydrophone.

The oceanexplorer.noaa.gov... hydroacoustics/media/sup3_earthquake_sound.html" target="_blank" class="postlink">sound of this earthquake, located near Astoria Canyon, was recorded by a U.S. Navy sound surveillance system (SOSUS) hydrophone.

This is awesome! I need to find the records from SOSUS that has a complete record of this type of listening for this region. I didn’t get how these spectrograms worked when I first saw them. Pretty cooooool…….

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
This map shows the location of the submarine cable off the central California coast that was being used for the Sound in the Sea Project. This cable stretched from Pillar Point Air Force Station to an underwater seamount (Pioneer Seamount) and was approximately 100 km long. A passive underwater hydrophone was installed on the seaward end of the cable. Data on recorded sounds was sent along the cable to a station on land for processing, then made available over the Internet. Click image for larger view.

This animation depicts how ocean sound data were being brought to you via the Internet in near-real time. As sound waves were emitted, they traveled through the SOFAR channel to the hydrophone array. The array captured the data and transmitted it via the submarine cable to shore. After being compressed into an audible format, the data was made available online for the public and researchers.

Volcanic tremor-like signals (1.1Mb, QuickTime)
Earthquake (44k, QuickTime)

3-D maps of Heceta Bank
Astoria Canyon, looking east from mid-canyon
Astoria Canyon, looking southwest
Submersible dives conducted around Heceta Bank

This really sucks though………..

Live Sound Data

*Update: A Cable connecting the hydrophone array on Pioneer Seamount to the shoreline was severed and it was decided not to repair the cable due to costs and the risk of disturbing the benthic environment. However NOAA does continue to pursue underwater acoustic experiments.

I am looking for other possibilities for live data feed off shore.
I have emailed several different programs, but nothing available so far for the PNW.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
ROCK FRACTURES:

Crack propagation process generates elastic shock waves which travel in the rock. Detection of such waves permits the observation of microfracturing (Scholz, 1968). However, very little is known about the frequency spectrum of elastic shock waves produced during microfracturing except that the spectra are very wide and are characterised by a large amount of low frequencies.

In the present work we suppose that a fraction of the elastic energy stored in the rocks could be converted into electromagnetic energy,

Even if the fraction of energy were small and the radiation mechanism had small efficiency, it is estimated that an appreciable amount of electromagnetic energy could propagate towards the Earth surface and above it. This energy, in form of electromagnetic waves, as will be discussed below, could be detected as radio signals at the Earth surface.

GENERATION OF ELECTROMAGNETIC SIGNALS:

Recently, it was observed that a possible mechanism for the generation of electromagnetic waves in the litosphere is to be identified with the microfracturing process of rocks.

In fracture experiments performed in air at atmospheric pressure, rocks usually contain microcavities with adsorbed gases, it is therefore possible that the breakdown voltage of the gases can be locally exceeded with consequent generation of micro electrical discharges and emission of electromagnetic waves.

Fig. 2 - Link to Audio Signal. Part of time dependence of the dynamical analysis of the audio signal, at the output of a radioreceiver tuned to 500 kHz, of electromagnetic emissions produced by a gneiss sample under uniaxial stress. Rock failure corresponds to the big signal to the right. This signal matches the signals on the seismograms below.

Below are several seismograms that I have saved because the extreme spiking (waveforms) I believe are related to some form of EMF.
One possibility I attributed the EMF signals to was possible Scalar type attacks.

After reading some of the information above, I am now starting to believe that it is a EMF transferred through the mechanics of the seismometer resulting in the examples below.
After reviewing the above information, it shows how an EMF signal is created as a result of the elastic energy stored in the rocks could be converted into electromagnetic energy (microfracturing ?).

Apparently it may be possible that these EMF’s caused by this microfracturing, are possibly a sort of precurser to a earthquake?

I am having a hard time understanding this let alone communicating it in a way that makes sense to anyone.

So if correct, I am left with two possibilities for the origin of my EMF seismograms examples below.

The first is in fact the seismometer picking up a scalar attack from an outside source.
The second is that these signals may indicated the compression of rock under the earth, that when broken, releases EMF’s. (microfracturing ?)

So are there rocks being broken as part of an earthquake, indicating a larger quake in the future of the region that the signal was received?

I only copied and pasted the easiest to understand from the text with the hope that someone would be able to take a look at all of this and give me two or three cents worth of an opinion towards helping me come to some kind of conclusion about the signals on my siesmograms from the Central Oregon Coast.

Presently I am beginning to suspect that these signals may in fact be further proof that this Central Oregon Coastal region for the seismogram examples below, may indicate the possibility that this coastal area is going to have a sizeable quake soon.

Link to the entire website and text. Good luck understanding it…… I sorta just took from it what seemed to fit in regards to a search of understanding what the spikes in my seismograms represent.

My seismogram example from the coast of central Oregon showing several suspected EMF spikes.

TAKO Tahkenitch Oregon June 16

TAKO Tahkenitch Oregon June 18

TAKO Tahkenitch Oregon June 23 Early

TOLO Toledo Oregon June 17

TOLO Toledo Oregon June 20

TOLO Toledo Oregon June 22

TOLO Toledo Oregon June 23

EUO Eugene Oregon June 26 Late

EUO Eugene Oregon June 27 Early

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Well, some of the Washington State webicorders are back online today.

This first Central Oregon station TAKO shows activity and what looks like an EM signal.
There is a tremor at 15:20 UTC July 5th. Nothing recorded for this on the USGS.

The TOLO station shows activity and a coule of EM signals as well.

And as usual it is only these two central Oregon stations that show anything at all for the entire PNW coastal region.

All other stations are quiet on the PNW coast as well as the inland stations.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Have you ever wondered why so many earthquakes are recorded by the USGS at depths of 10km 20km 30km and 35km ?

Continental crust: 0.374% of Earth's mass; depth of 0-50 kilometers (0 - 31 miles).
The continental crust contains 0.554% of the mantle-crust mass. This is the outer part of the Earth composed essentially of crystalline rocks. These are low-density buoyant minerals dominated mostly by quartz (SiO2) and feldspars (metal-poor silicates). The crust (both oceanic and continental) is the surface of the Earth; as such, it is the coldest part of our planet. Because cold rocks deform slowly, we refer to this rigid outer shell as the lithosphere (the rocky or strong layer).

The Lithosphere & Plate Tectonics

Oceanic Lithosphere

The rigid, outermost layer of the Earth comprising the crust and upper mantle is called the lithosphere. New oceanic lithosphere forms through volcanism in the form of fissures at mid-ocean ridges which are cracks that encircle the globe. Heat escapes the interior as this new lithosphere emerges from below. It gradually cools, contracts and moves away from the ridge, traveling across the seafloor to subduction zones in a process called seafloor spreading. In time, older lithosphere will thicken and eventually become more dense than the mantle below, causing it to descend (subduct) back into the Earth at a steep angle, cooling the interior. Subduction is the main method of cooling the mantle below 100 kilometers (62.5 miles). If the lithosphere is young and thus hotter at a subduction zone, it will be forced back into the interior at a lesser angle.

Continental Lithosphere

The continental lithosphere is about 150 kilometers (93 miles) thick with a low-density crust and upper-mantle that are permanently buoyant. Continents drift laterally along the convecting system of the mantle away from hot mantle zones toward cooler ones, a process known as continental drift. Most of the continents are now sitting on or moving toward cooler parts of the mantle, with the exception of Africa. Africa was once the core of Pangaea, a supercontinent that eventually broke into todays continents. Several hundred million years prior to the formation of Pangaea, the southern continents - Africa, South America, Australia, Antarctica, and India - were assembled together in what is called Gondwana.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Other precursors aren't panning out so well either, Beroza said. About five years ago, geologists discovered that low-level earthquakes appear to occur below part of Japan, similar to the rolling tremors that occur below volcanoes. Intuitively, these would seem to be a kind of precursor, but so far the data hasn't panned out.
In an attempt to get real-world data, QuakeFinder has created a network of 70 ultra-low and extremely low frequency magnetometers, along faults stretching from Mexico to Eureka in Northern California.
The sensor network likely can't predict a quake--scientists would need a network of 200 sensors with one placed every 20 miles to do that--but the devices can gather data that can be analyzed retroactively to see if a correlation exists between spikes in electromagnetism and quakes.
The company, along with France's Centre National D'Etudes Spatiales, also has sensors on satellite to detect ionospheric changes.
While not conclusive, the results raise eyebrows. QuakeFinder's sensor network revealed that changes in the electromagnetic field began to occur before the San Simeon quake of 2003 as well as nine hours before the Parkfield earthquake in September 2004. The network also detected magnetic field changes a few days before a quake near Anza, Calif. The data was significant, Bleier said, in that the Anza quake measured only 5.2 on the Richter scale, lower than the 6.0 threshold the company assumed would be needed to generate detectable signals.
Data from Demeter, a French satellite, show ionospheric changes occurring in conjunction with a number of earthquakes. NASA is also conducting experiments to determine whether minute to surface movement detected by satellites can serve as earthquake precursors.
Doubt, though, abounds. A five-year program for studying electromagnetic precursors at Japan's RIKEN, a scientific institute, was killed off. QuakeFinder has landed grants from some agencies but not enough to conduct all of the experiments it would like. The U.S. Geological Survey has rejected grant applications from QuakeFinder a couple of times. Freund says that scientific prejudice is behind some of the doubt.
"I'm now actively targeting the people who are most opposed to these ideas, who generally are seismologists," he said. "Many of them are very limited in their scope."
Getting venture capitalists to invest in earthquake warning systems remains difficult, because the potential payout is almost nonexistent. QuakeFinder's private funding has come from satellite companies.
If anything, the parties at least agree on this: There's still a lot we don't know.
"We're learning new things about the earth all the time," Beroza said.

For many people, earthquakes are synonymous with unpredictability. They strike suddenly on otherwise normal days, and despite all the achievements of seismology, scientists still can't provide warning of an impending quake in the way that weathermen warn of approaching storms.
Although earthquakes seem to strike out of the blue, the furious energy that a quake releases builds up for months and years beforehand in the form of stresses within Earth's crust. At the moment, forecasters have no direct way of seeing these stresses or detecting when they reach critically high levels.

Electrical currents in rock might explain another curious observation: Scientists doing research with magnetometers just before major earthquakes have serendipitously recorded tiny, slow fluctuations in Earth's magnetic field. One example happened during the Loma-

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
It’s being at the right place at the wrong time. A rare, focused, longitudinal scalar EM wave moves up a volcanic root system and overwhelms the seismograph sensory electronics. The metal shielding of the sensor proves powerless to stop the incoming wave penetration. The energy moves into the windings of the geophone and proceeds to excite strong conductive ionization within the windings of the geophone sensor coil. A superconducting phenomenon results from the penetration, where the energy can wreak havoc on the seismograph’s micro-electronics – “Ka-Pow”.
In our last newsletter, the hunt, discovery, and awe of these earth emissions were detailed in a book chapter, Earth: Killer of Micro-Electronics, where the tracking down of these mysterious electronics failures in massively parallel supercomputer disk subsystems led to findings that defied the currently taught engineering physics on conduction in wires and electronics (semiconductors). The energy bursts causing the destruction were very powerful and caused conductors to behave as room temperature superconductors. These energy bursts are from Longitudinal Scalar EM Waves, or ‘scalar waves’.
Link to article

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Quiet today………….

2.5 2006/07/06 17:01:12 51.282-176.921 35.0ANDREANOF ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN IS., ALASKA
3.8 2006/07/06 05:56:38 51.999 176.124 35.0RAT ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN ISLANDS, ALASKA
3.4 2006/07/06 04:46:37 51.830 176.953140.0RAT ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN ISLANDS, ALASKA
3.0 2006/07/06 03:43:51 51.237-175.165 5.0ANDREANOF ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN IS., ALASKA
3.7 2006/07/06 01:21:46 53.099-164.867 1.0UNIMAK ISLAND REGION, ALASKA

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
These Georgetown Earthquakes are interesting. Unusual activity for this area. We may see this pick up in magnitude over the next few days.
Shallow too………… 0.8 km down to 10.6 km.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
wow thanks fringefellow... those posts were some very interesting reading mate.

~Candyman~

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Wow……….. This is out of place. Map 4.5 2006/07/06 23:26:58 65.287-160.734 5.1NORTHERN ALASKA

And on another note:

Just for fun compare these to a few days from now when we are into a full
moon.

55°N, 180°W

37°N, 120°W

60°N, 150°W

47°N, 125°W

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   
4.5 2006/07/06 23:26:58 65.287-160.734 5.1NORTHERN ALASKA

Northern Alaska

Not a lot of history for earthquakes.

History of Quakes

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
MAP 4.5 2006/07/06 23:26:58 65.287-160.734 5.1NORTHERN ALASKA

I don’t know the name of the fault line, but this quake is right on the western end of a fault shown on this map Compare to the MAP for USGS above.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I can not make out the name of the fault.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Quiet again today........

2.9 2006/07/07 23:56:33 53.911-163.522 10.0UNIMAK ISLAND REGION, ALASKA
2.7 2006/07/07 22:48:14 50.638-175.214 40.0ANDREANOF ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN IS., ALASKA
2.6 2006/07/07 19:19:29 53.019-166.835 20.0FOX ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN ISLANDS, ALASKA
3.0 2006/07/07 14:52:31 51.693 179.709 20.0RAT ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN ISLANDS, ALASKA
3.0 2006/07/07 06:18:48 53.845-164.731 40.0UNIMAK ISLAND REGION, ALASKA
3.9 2006/07/07 04:53:49 51.066 179.380 16.1RAT ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN ISLANDS, ALASKA

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
They are all back on line…. July 7th

Starting with the Wishkah Wash station WISH there are a few tremors that showed up, although a few of them are from some large quakes further away.

Megler Wash station MEGW like always shows a lot of noise. It looks much better but hard to decipher much.

Mt Hebo Oregon station HEBO is quiet today.

And as we can see this station is active as usual while all others on the coast are quiet.
Toledo Oregon Central Oregon station TOLO is active with EM anomalies. Saved this one for the future.

Tahkenitch station TAKO is quiet although it does show some odd waveforms. Do not believe them to be EMF.

Rodgers California station KRP shows a significant 19:45 and 20:00 UTC event. Nothing posted at the USGS to account for it.

I am posting this seismograph just to point out the 08:15 UTC tremor. You can see it lasted for about 15 minutes. It is interesting that every station up the coast shows the same tremor. Nothing posted at USGS to account for it. Interesting though.

[edit on 7/7/2006 by Fringefellow]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Sounds like some of you are enjoying some of the links and things that I have posted recently.
I am on a road trip for a few days, so not as much time to research and post more interesting things just now.

Will get more involved with some things when I settle down in a few days.

Later...............

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fringefellow
Wow……….. This is out of place. Map 4.5 2006/07/06 23:26:58 65.287-160.734 5.1NORTHERN ALASKA

And on another note:

Just for fun compare these to a few days from now when we are into a full
moon.

55°N, 180°W

37°N, 120°W

60°N, 150°W

47°N, 125°W

They are starting to pick up again now that we are getting that full moon action.

And Wow! 32°N, 115°W

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28 >>

join