It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over FIFTY earthquakes in the last several hours in Alaska and still counting

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I think this is pretty interesting... what's your opinion. Could this be the 'equal and opposite reaction' of these quakes?

NBC11.com Friday, June 16, 2006 Scientists say Thursday's early-morning earthquake that rattled the South Bay revealed a previously unknown fault. At least 10 small aftershocks have been recorded since the 4.7 magnitude quake hit near San Martin. People throughout the Bay Area were sharing their stories over coffee after feeling it. But there was no damage and no one was injured. Scientists said the quake didn't happen along any of the seven major faults in the area, but instead ruptured a smaller unknown fault three miles east of the Calaveras fault.

Also, what i see from all those emails that you got D1K is that nobody is 100% positive of what is going on in Alaska. Did you notice that one says they aren't sure... another says it is normal... yet another says it is aftershocks but could actually be a swarm or cluster. Swarms and clusters are not aftershocks. So, guess they know as much as we do here. Afterall, we gave all the same answers as they did. hehehe.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Greetings once again,

I was browsing around the NOAA satellite and information service and came across this section there:
Operational Daily Snow Cover Analysis

So I decided to click on the 31 day animation for the Alaskan Graphic and saw this:

Didn't someone here mention melting snow and ice could cause earthquakes? It was something to that extent.

God Bless

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Its the HAARP Array for God's sakes ! They're heating the ionosphere and encouraging these quakes. "Whitley Streiber's Unknown Country" web site has a podcast that tells all about this stuff. Weather and mind control, earthquakes, generating Tsunami's etc... They're rehearsing for the big one that will open up and swallow the entire middle east, leaving nothing but an ocean of oil....

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecandyman
I think this is pretty interesting... what's your opinion. Could this be the 'equal and opposite reaction' of these quakes?

NBC11.com Friday, June 16, 2006 Scientists say Thursday's early-morning earthquake that rattled the South Bay revealed a previously unknown fault. At least 10 small aftershocks have been recorded since the 4.7 magnitude quake hit near San Martin. People throughout the Bay Area were sharing their stories over coffee after feeling it. But there was no damage and no one was injured. Scientists said the quake didn't happen along any of the seven major faults in the area, but instead ruptured a smaller unknown fault three miles east of the Calaveras fault.

Also, what i see from all those emails that you got D1K is that nobody is 100% positive of what is going on in Alaska. Did you notice that one says they aren't sure... another says it is normal... yet another says it is aftershocks but could actually be a swarm or cluster. Swarms and clusters are not aftershocks. So, guess they know as much as we do here. Afterall, we gave all the same answers as they did. hehehe.

Back in March, I was on Google Earth plotting some points from the USGS for some small tremors that had striked to see how close they were to us. I had mentioned one certain quake on Quake Watch 2006, however, no one responded to it. I can't seem to find that post at the moment, but that quake made me wonder if the Hayward fault extended further than it does.

~DearWife

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 03:15 AM
link   
This probably wont help with your very interesting discussion, but I heard recently a lady on the radio who was into biodynamic agriculture and she said that she has made a study of the movements of the moon and next week will be the time of maximum stress on the planet and she expexts a major earthquake or volcanic eruption next monday as that is the time of maximun gravitaional stress on the planet. Obviously the moon over the last week has been getting closer to that point. It remains to be seen

pandy50

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by pandy
This probably wont help with your very interesting discussion, but I heard recently a lady on the radio who was into biodynamic agriculture and she said that she has made a study of the movements of the moon and next week will be the time of maximum stress on the planet and she expexts a major earthquake or volcanic eruption next monday as that is the time of maximun gravitaional stress on the planet. Obviously the moon over the last week has been getting closer to that point. It remains to be seen

pandy50

Yes, monday the 19th seems to be a good day for destruction!
Well, at least if you work in the US government and are on the list of the 4000 that will be taken into safety.

www.washingtonpost.com... /02/AR2006060201410.html

I sincerely hope this won´t happen, but, they have pretty much pulled it before, the old "lets conduct an emergency drill... and whadda´ya know, the same scenario we were rehersing for actually happened, what a coincidence!!!" -scheme.

Coincidence indeed...
Hopefully this biodynamic agriculture woman is wrong... she could be right, for MANY reasons I believe.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Interesting stuff, my house mate has been following this rather closely and has been filling me in.

However, I am rather concerned if it does happen. After all, this is the best chance in years England have of winning the World Cup and as sod's law would have it, it's the end of the world..... go figure!

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   
im just waiting for something big to happen around cali or all over the world... then i will know that the world is ending for sure...but as for now... jus keep the updates rolling in... any new quakes as of lately?

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Hello,

Alaska is the most earthquake-prone state in the U.S. and one of the most seismically active regions in the world. The entire southern border of the state, from Southeast Alaska out to the Aleutian chain, sits on the boundary of the North American plate and the Pacific plate, most of which is a subduction zone type boundary. Besides that plate boundary, there are some major fault systems in the interior of the state too (Castle Mtn., Denali and Tintina to name a few). There are many active volcanoes here, and they can also cause seismic activity. Finally, Alaska is a large state--1/5th the size of the lower 48 states combined. Add up all these factors and the earthquakes can pile up quite rapidly.

Most of the earthquakes over the last few days have been associated with a 6.1 magnitude quake out in the Rat Islands and its many aftershocks. The Rat Islands are not new to large earthquakes though, as there was a 8.7 magnitude in 1965, a 7.8 magnitude in 2003, and a 6.8 magnitude in 2005.

For more information about causes of earthquakes in Alaska, please see the following website:
www.giseis.alaska.edu...

For more information about earthquakes in general, please see the following website:
pubs.usgs.gov...

Thank-you,
Karen Peterson
USGS Earth Science Information Center - Alaska
alaska.usgs.gov...

dilly84@gmail.com

06/16/2006 06:34 AM

To: askusgs@usgs.gov
cc: archive_ask@usgs.gov
Subject: increased earthquake activity

Transaction=GSF9RMV9 [16JUN2006 14:34:56UTC]
Customer email: dilly84@gmail.com
Customer: Joshua Dilly
Subject: increased earthquake activity
Primary response: askusgs@usgs.gov

========================================================

I am looking for some kind of explanation on all the quakes in alaska, as well as everywhere for the matter. all we keep getting are copy and paste answers. we want to know if this is normal, if there is cause for concern, why this is happening. things of that nature. Thank you.
I look forward to a timely responce.
Joshua M. Dilly

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Not sure if this is related or not but has anyone seen the amount of current volcanic activity?
List I'm looking at has 11 volcanoes erupting as of June 6th.

That's if I reading it right I'm not awake yet

Erupting Volcanoes

DSO

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
My theory is that these quakes are all related. Ever since the massive 2004 earthquake in indonesia, the other faults around the world would have experenced changes in pressure due to that realease of energy. Most of the volcanic activity and earthquakes we are seeing today could be related to the changes in pressure boxing day tremor.

A major earthquake would not just affect the local faultlines, but the entire plantary tectonic system. I think what we are seeing now is just pressure relases by other faultlines from the changes in pressure due to the indonesian quake. It would be a possible explination, one that many haven't given much thought to. I could be wrong, i don't know that much about tectonics and geology.

-DSO

[edit on 17-6-2006 by DSO]

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   
The amounts of earthquakes now taking place in Alaska is not so unusual, especially if you take the magnitudes 4.0. which maybe normal for aftershocks...
However, if seismicity does not decrease in magnitude and frecuency in the next days, strong or major activity could take place. Although the continental area of Alaska peninsula has been affected by Big Earthquakes (>8.0) in the last 40 years, the area south west along the islands have not, therefore major activity could be expected there.
Much regards fromthe Nazca Plate Subduction Zone

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Not that I agree with what they mention, but I found this article while I was surfing the Net looking for something in relation with a swarm of individual quakes:

...According to an authoritative 2003 analysis by the Working Group on California Earthquake Probabilities, an expert panel co-chaired by USGS seismologists Michael Blanpied and David Schwartz, the next big Bay Area quake will probably come within a few decades, and its expected magnitude could be at least 6.7. It could also be much more severe than magnitude 6.7...
Recent research hints that big quakes might attack in swarms, one after another.
Source:
Sfgate - the Big One (September 2005)

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I ran into this today and thought it would be a good thing for everyone to read while on this subject.

I attended a university in Southern California and one of my professors required everyone to learn nearly identical info verbatim or fail the course. He was convinced that Los Angeles (more precisely the Upland area east of LA) would be hit by a 9.1 or larger quake within 10 years. He was, of course, wrong but I believe LA is in for a big one at some point in the near future. (as a side note… He also told us that the department had asked the L.A. Times to run an article on “Earthquake Preparedness” and they refused because they were afraid it would impact the local economy negatively) I should mention he told us lots of things that were bogus like “the earth will run completely out of oil by 2004” and “the trees in North America will all be gone within 30 years due to climate change caused by air pollution”. The gloom and doom scenarios have not changed much in the last 35 years. They were just as sure in the early 70’s.

What to do during an earthquake.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I've been checking for new posts ever since this thread began but I don't see many lately.

Has the earthquakes stopped?

This subject concerns me for much.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
whats the count now if anyone knows, or have the earthquakes stopped?

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
They haven't stopped, 12 more today the strongest being 4.3. And 21 yesterday, these are just the ones at Rat Islands.

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Very Interesting!!! Great work people!!

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I'm pretty safe over here in Southern Ontario but I have to say that the moon's maximum effect and the "drill" on the 19th are some kind of coincidence. I'm buckling my seatbelt on this one...
TheIndonesian quake is said to have changed the shape of the planet and I'm sure the "springboard" has just been wound tight and may be about to give...

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Here's a link for a site that I visit on a daily basis.

It makes it very easy to see whats happened in the last hour, as well as all the earthquakes over magnitude 5 in the last 7 days (the big ones) at a glance.

earthquake-news.net

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join