It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over FIFTY earthquakes in the last several hours in Alaska and still counting

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   
This is quite a swarm over the past two days. This area is extremely active, but this is an unusually high number. I read an article yesterday about new activity at the Norris Geyser Basin in Yellowstone. Anyone remember a few years ago when the 7. quake in Alaska affected the geysers. Its happening again. Also a small quake at mt st Helens yesterday. This whole region is connected. The plate off Alaska is probably dropping, causing a backflow of magma to Mt st Helens and Yellowston. Just a thought.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I was wondering...

Are there no other quakes on Earth but only in Alaska?

The USGS earthquake page only shows Alaska this time.

USGS

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
That's where pretty much all of the quakes are. It's very odd.
There have been a few in California as well.

[edit on 6/15/2006 by SeekerOfKnowledge]

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Another one just occured

RAT ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN ISLANDS, ALASKA

[edit on 15-6-2006 by Ptolomeo]

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
happening in the Juan de Fuca...it is a bit un-nerving that to the south/north there is a lot of activity.

I REALLY hate earthquakes. REALLY hate them.

With all of the slipage on the plates I am hoping it's just pressure being alieveated and that it's not a build up to something larger.

I know we're due for a biggie here on the Pacific North West - hopefully not until I move above sea level. Right now the area I live in is right at sea level - Richmond is a giant flood plain built up with sand

The highest point in Vancouver is only 505 feet above sea level - my emergency plan has it factored in as it's within a 10 mile radius as a safe spot. I have the first aid kit, the water, the power bars light, batteries and waterproof radio.

After the last quake we had several years ago (above 4) I figured it'd be a good idea to be prepared. It's a bit weird, preparing for a natural disaster and keeping it in mind...when you never know "when" it might happen...can't be complacent I suppose

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ptolomeo
I was wondering...

Are there no other quakes on Earth but only in Alaska?

The USGS earthquake page only shows Alaska this time.

USGS

I see California, Mongolia, and other states/countries on that list?

The majority however ARE in Alaska.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   
But at least you are prepared, have an emergency kit, know what to do and the evacuation route to take...

These things may happen, we cannot avoid them, prevention is our only weapon.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   
One thing I have noticed on that world list is that all of these Alaska quakes over yesterday and today are all computer-triggered events and none have been reviewed by a seismologist. They all have depths that end in ".0" and appear to be just approximations.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

The two most recent quakes in Hawaii and Puerto Rico on that list have been reviewed and verified by seismologists ... I wonder why none of the AK quakes have been as of yet???

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
TONGA JOINS

EMSC Tonga quake 5.2

This is starting to become really worrying...

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Yikes 4.0 then a 4.6 in Alaska 30 and 15 min ago respectively.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   
4.6 seems like increasing again.

I also wondered yesteray why the lower ones had not been reviewed yet. maybe it because they are low?

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Could be ... the last one reviewed in the Rat Islands region was a 4.1 at 14:12 UTC.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
from the USGS site External link

Does anyone know of a PNW real time site? The EarthQuakes canada site hasn't even been updated to show the Alaskan quakes!!!

Good lord? How's that for preparedness huh? When a Canadian has to access US sites to get data on events happening on our border?

This irks me to no end - Canada's emergency preparedness is a shamble of hodgepodge quasi-updated froohaha. Most of the web sites I checked had a slew of dead links...nice job.

Even the PNW sieismology crew has better info and it's out of Washington...

Real time anyone?

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Could be...

How many quakes are we talking about in total? More than a hundred?

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   
These are not so bad:

USGS

EMSC

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   
the last one has been downgraded to 4.3

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Did anyone already checked out this site.

This one keep track of all the current mayor events (including earthquakes) through out the world. It's an amazing site, one of my favorites.

You can simply click on the event and alot times you can zoom in the location were something mayor happened.

visz.rsoe.hu...

let me know what you think of it.

[edit on 15/6/2006 by rai76]

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Yes, I know it... I use it too, though not for quakes

Thanks for posting

[edit on 15-6-2006 by Ptolomeo]

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Hi All,

This is not unusual at all. These swarms happen periodically along the Aleutian Island Chain. This would get a 3 second blurb on the evening news. That area is mostly unpopulated and these quakes are taken in stride. These quakes are far from any populace area and you have to remember that Alaska makes Texas look small.

When you live on “the Ring of Fire” its part of normal life. The biggest tsunami I can recall since living here was under 3 centimeters when it hit Homer, Alaska. Everyone here is more than aware of the tsunami risk and most of us pay close attention to alerts. A recently completed study here of the intervals in the Anchorage area between big events like the one in the early sixties showed they occur every 600 years or so. The chances of another monster in our lifetime is considered very small. When the Fairbanks area had a giant a couple of years ago Anchorage felt something akin to a 5 to 5.5. No damage. It was kind of fun though. The ground here is very fluid and it’s like being on a boat. I stood in a doorway and watched the water slosh back and forth in the aquarium. The fish did not even react. My dog opened one eye and then went back to sleep.

Anyone claiming that these quakes up here are in any shape or form capable of setting off quakes in other areas like Rainier or Yellowstone are intellectual liars and should not be taken seriously.

*** Texans – Please don’t take offense at my comparison of size. I know how touchy you are about living in such a small state ****

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   
There has been minor quake activity in my neck of the woods...

external link

The strongest recorded was a 3+ in around Tofino BC yesterday (14th).

Will be keeping tabs on this stuff...creeps me out. Thanks to you guys for keeping the info coming and for the links

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join