It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hockey (NHL) v Football (soccer)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   
As I was driving to work yesterday (in Canada), on the radio they were having a discussion that hockey is better than football!

Come on! Have you ever been to watch hockey? Jeez, it sooo boring they have a big screen asking for you to clap! You cant cut the atmosphere...coz there is none! Best part of the night is seeing the puck-bunnies come out to clear away the ice from around the bench. In a football match the atmosphere is so electric you have to have police to stop you ripping each other to bits. There is singing, chanting, humour, laughter and tears. In hockey you got burgers, fries, hot-dogs and plenty of time to eat them as they stop for the bloody TV commercials!

If sport was a language then hockey will be one of the first to die out, closely followed by that other sport, US style 'football'. But thats another story already covered.

Oh and another thing, in hockey you cant see the puck thingy either! And it costs an arm and a leg to get a seat up in the 'nosebleeds' where you cant even see the players!

I dont know why I wrote this as it is un-deniable....football walks all over hockey!

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 11:23 PM
link   
For Sportz posts, why not head on over to Sportztawk? It's the same kind of thing as ATS/BTS, but for Sports. it's owned by Skeptic Overlord's son Ben. I'm a Moderator over there, under the name GiantsFan, so why not come give us something to Tawk about?

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet
For Sportz posts, why not head on over to Sportztawk? It's the same kind of thing as ATS/BTS, but for Sports. it's owned by Skeptic Overlord's son Ben. I'm a Moderator over there, under the name GiantsFan, so why not come give us something to Tawk about?

Sportztawk is great. But you have to log on, register and all that stuff. So I would rather discuss how boring hockey is in general chit-chat as its not really a subject worthy of a real sports forum!

Thanks anyway
McP.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Opinions Are Not Facts!

Because you think hockey is boring, does not mean it is. Try checking out a live hockey game at the Bell Centre in Montreal. It would push any Football stadium for loudness, and with only a small percentage of the people. Seats about 19,000 I believe. What about an average football stadium?

I bleed hockey, I love it and could talk about it for hours. I also love football. (American and European) So I can speak on this from a neutral perspective.

In a football match the atmosphere is so electric you have to have police to stop you ripping each other to bits.

So because we can act in a humane way, it takes away from the sport? Please. We are just smart enough to wait until the game is over before we start acting like that, atleast this way we go to jail rather than being tossed out of the game.

There is singing, chanting, humour, laughter and tears. In hockey you got burgers, fries, hot-dogs and plenty of time to eat them as they stop for the bloody TV commercials!

You hurt your own argument with ridiculous comments like that. Burgers? Fries? What does that have to do with anything? Tv Commercials? So what? If watching the odd commercial is going to make the league that much more profitable, than so be it. I am patient enough.

Oh and another thing, in hockey you cant see the puck thingy either! And it costs an arm and a leg to get a seat up in the 'nosebleeds' where you cant even see the players!

Can you honestly say you have been to a game and sat in these seats? They are not that bad. I have taken in games from the good and bad seats, believe me the atmosphere is just as strong regardless of where you sit. And this is no measure of the atmosphere, most times you can not hear yourself think.

World Cup Ticket Prices

Ticket Prices
Category 1 Category 2 Category 3 Category 4
Opening Match 300.00 € 180.00 € 115.00 € 65.00 €
Group Games 100.00 € 60.00 € 45.00 € 35.00 €
Final Sixteen 120.00 € 75.00 € 60.00 € 45.00 €
Quarter finals 180.00 € 110.00 € 85.00 € 55.00 €
Semi-finals 400.00 € 240.00 € 150.00 € 90.00 €
3rd place play-off 120.00 € 75.00 € 60.00 € 45.00 €
Final 600.00 € 360.00 € 220.00 € 120.00 €

Stanley Cup Finals Ticket Prices

UPPER LEVEL SEATING
US $100.00 - US $350.00

LOWER LEVEL SEATING
US $140.00 - US $350.00

CLUB LEVEL SEATING
US $120.00 - US $300.00

Not going to lie, somebody would have to change the currency for me but lets see how they match up for ticket prices.

All the while remembering,

Opinions Are Not Facts!

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Just suggesting, as most times a sports topic is posted, a Mod will direct you to Sportztawk. If they keep it open here, then have fun with your stuff!

And for my opinion... Hockey is a little more exciting to watch, just because of the hits and fights. but then again, I've only watched one soccer match, so maybe I just haven't seen how brutal a match can actually be.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Hockey by far is the better sport. Soccer players are called lawn ferrys for a reason. In hockey the fights, constant action and atmosphere is incredible. Many will argue that soccer is better because its more popular, but then Michael Jackson had the best selling album (I believe) of all time so what does that tell you. Hockey forever.

brill

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Football [that's real football for all you lovely americans,] is the world game [see Germany '06], and anyway, this is like comparing apples and oranges. IMO my apples pwn your oranges.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 07:32 PM
link   
They are completely different games. Not to be compared really.

Why this author decided to take shots at other nations games is left for him to explain. I was hoping we were passed these my sport is better than your sport threads.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I love Football, the one you play with your feet, but i like Hockey. Its good fun, very fast and dynamic. Ive only ever seen it on TV but i enjoyed it a lot. I remember that the players seemed to have very short tempers and seemed intent upon punching chunks out of each other.
The players are very skillful as well, i find skating hard enough without a bunch of blokes bearing down on me with sticks lol.
The two sports cant really be compared as they are not even remotely alike, but hey at least the games dont last 4 hour.

[edit on 14-6-2006 by Janus]

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I refered to the 'ripping each other to bits' scenario as an example of the passion in football supporters. I also notice people say hockey is great 'coz of the fights'. Having been to 4 hockey games this season (3 on centre ice + 1 in the nose-bleeds, so I know what I am talking about), well now which is the violent sport?

As for the ticket prices, I paid $125 to watch a hockey game where there are no 'away' supporters, so not much rivalry, therefore no atmosphere. I think it was Minnesotta wild! Where when in the UK I could watch a game for 16 quid. YES 16 pounds or 33 Cdn$ and come away totally hyper or extremely sad.

No contest. And I know its only a matter of personal opinion which sport is the best, and as this fine website is for sharing opinions, I did just that. If it upsets you, then forgive me.

McP.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I think it matters what sport you have played. For example I play ice hockey and I have played soccer (football) when I was a short person. However, I love ice hockey. I appreciate the players and the game much more especially when you can relate to them on a lot more levels. I also referee too. So yeah, i couldn't be anymore biased.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Atmosphere? Bah... who needs it. Soccer is the most pointless and boring spectator sport on the face of this earth. Yes, even more boring than football,baseball,basketball,crickit, and yes even lawn bowling & curling. I would rather watch my cats hair grow then watch a soccer match in the stadium or on TV. I play the game, but that's fun. Watching it isn't fun.

Why would you want to go to a sports event where the most exiting stuff is happening between fans of opposing teams instead of the stuff happening between the actual teams themselves?

The Fricken players on the field are a bunch of pussies too, diving and faking injuries over and over and over again, where a high scoring game is considered to be anything over one goal for the winning side. Puhleeze.

I personally cannot see what makes this sport so popular to watch. To play the sport, I can understand because it's a challenge but to watch? Bah...too predictable. That's what I like about sports like Hockey or Lacrosse, the unpredictability, the sheer viciousness of the players, the hard hitting, and of course the fights. I don't want to see a bunch of fans duking it out. I wanna see another Probert vs. Clark! Montreal vs. Toronto! The matchups where the pure hatred comes out in spades. You don't really see that in Soccer....oh yeah, buddy may kick another buddy in the nads or something...oooo that was a manly thing to do
or another guy will get the ball stolen from him and fall down kicking and screaming as if he just got stabbed and then a couple of seconds later when it becomes clear he ain't drawing a Card, then he'll get back up and into the game as if he was perfectly alright. When a hockey player does that, he loses the respect of his team, his opponents, and his fans. It also puts a big bullseye on his back so he better watch out.

[edit on 14-6-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 01:27 AM
link   
You can't compare theese two sports in my opinion , just two differant.

Football is so much more massively bigger on global scale that its almost unfare to compare.

Over here in England there aren't many Hockey teams in the elite league but I am sandwitched beetween the two biggest Hockey teams in England (as well as being the biggest rivals) the (Nottingham) Panthers and the (Sheffield) Steelers and I love going to watch the Panthers occasionaly its family friendly and very exiting and there is no lack of atmosphere.

silly thread IMO :down:

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Le futbol tres magnific, man the sport of football is a sport of love and freedom for all the people in the world the one place where you can your brother and love your enemy all on the same or opposite sides, but just dont stay around for afterparty if your team is portugal......:w:

top topics

join