It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U of C committee recommends firing Ward Churchill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   
A University of Colorado committee has recommended firing profesor Ward Churchill, stating that he ""has committed serious, repeated, and deliberate research misconduct".

DENVER (AP) -- Ward Churchill, the professor who called some of the World Trade Center victims "little Eichmanns," should be fired because of "repeated and deliberate" infractions of scholarship rules, a University of Colorado committee said Tuesday.

The recommendation, which came on a 6-3 vote, now goes to university officials for a final decision.

Churchill, a tenured professor of ethnic studies who has vowed to fight his dismissal with a lawsuit, "has committed serious, repeated, and deliberate research misconduct," the school's Standing Committee on Research Misconduct said in its final report.

Churchill

This is the latest in the barrage of societal chastisements that Churchill has had to weather. He vows to fight the decision in court.

I am all for academic freedom and freedom of expression, but his personal views have the danger of spilling over into the classroom. And I think that he definitely went overboard when he called WTC victims "little Eichmanns".

I agree with the committee's recommendation. I wouldn't want someone like him on my faculty team.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I agree. While he certainly has the right to his views, and to express those views, it should not be on the public's dollar. If he wants to fight for the views he believes in, then let him stick to writing books and speaking.

Im sure many will say he is being set up because everyone is pissed off about his anti-Americanism. While that is possible, it certainly does not excuse the fact that he claimed Indian Heritage, of which it was found out to be untrue.

I honestly don't care about his beliefs. If he is guilty of misconduct, then fire him. Its not like he cant make a living writing books and stuff.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Can we string up Coulter along side him then, for her comments?

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Can we string up Coulter along side him then, for her comments?

Ward "of the state" Churchill is currently sucking the teat of the State of Colorado, and represents one of their fine institutions of higher learning, one with specific guidelines, and bylaws. Anne "she's dreamy" Coulter is just an ordinary private citizen, and entrepreneur... She doesn't work for any one institution, and therefore can't be held in the same light.

Ward's problem isn't the WTC comments, it's the academic fraud he's been found to have committed during his tenure.

Fraudmeister Ward

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
He's been fired (finally)

New York Newsday

BOULDER, Colo. -- The University of Colorado Board of Regents on Tuesday fired Ward Churchill, the professor whose remarks likening some Sept. 11 victims to Nazi Adolf Eichmann provoked national outrage and led to an investigation of research misconduct.

Churchill vowed to sue after the 8-1 vote was announced, saying: "New game, new game."

CU President Hank Brown said "the decision was really pretty basic" based on the school's findings of plagiarism, falsification and other infractions involving work unrelated to Churchill's remarks on the Sept. 11 victims. Brown said the school had little choice but to fire Churchill to protect the integrity of the university's research.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

top topics

join