It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rhode Island police seek open access to Internet, phone records

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Source

PROVIDENCE, R.I. --The Rhode Island General Assembly is considering legislation that could give police access to Internet and phone records and credit card and bank information without a warrant or other court review, civil libertarians said.

The state police said the legislation would help track down the increasing instances of Internet-based crime, including fraud and child exploitation. They say they are only seeking expanded access to Internet records, not phone or banking records.

But lawyers familiar with this area of law say the bills as crafted would give Rhode island police the right to obtain the same information that some of the nation's major communication companies have been accused of giving to the National Security Agency illegally.

Following in true form, and solely for your protection.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   
This just never stops!

It seems like its becoming an everyday thing that someone wants broad access to, what should be private records. All in the wonderful name of protection and security.

I just dont know what else to say dgtempe, except, here we go again

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   
If all these laws pass, people will become victims of rats out there who would love nothing better than to make your life miserable. "Hello, PD? I want to report someone i suspect posting on a conspiracy board all day"
Police: We'll be right on it.

Oh yea, things are going well.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
there will be rats but I think that will be the least of our problems if laws like these pass. It sets up the govt to circumvent the judiciary. And of course there will be no oversight. While the US govt polices the world; who polices them?

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Yeah, I live in Providence, and this has been freaking me out for a few days now. Luckily, we have a pretty liberal state government, and enough active citizens to get this plan shot down (I hope).

If not, then I'll be wardriving for a while until I can find a better solution.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
www.projo.com...

PROVIDENCE -- After a barrage of criticism from civil-liberities advocates, the state police yesterday agreed to changes in legislation before the General Assembly so it clearly would not give the police the right to obtain Rhode Islanders' telephone records without a warrant.

But although the state police wanted to press on with a legislative hearing and possible committee vote today, Governor Carcieri intervened, saying he was concerned about civil liberties. By the end of the day, the House leadership put off consideration of the legislation for at least a week.

Carcieri said through a spokesman that he won't support a bill that doesn't address the concerns civil-liberties advocates have raised about the state police proposals.

It's getting better, but obviously not good enough.

Carcieri is usually an @$$ so I tend not to believe a word he says, but with the general tone around here I doubt it'll pass with the people.

[edit on 13-6-2006 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 08:24 AM
link   
we will keep our fingers crossed for you guys up there

If this passes it will set a very dangerous precident.

But your right it looks like it isnt going to happen(thank goodness)

new topics

top topics

join