It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POTUS Spirited to Iraq in the Middle of the Night

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   
News sources are reporting this morning that President George W. Bush was flown overnight from the US to Iraq for a series of meetings with Iraqi government officials. The trip, which was shrouded in secrecy, was designed to show support for the Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki and Iraqi President Jalal Talabani. DrudgeReport has an interesting article from the Press Pool describing the secrecy surrounding the visit.

www.drudgereport.com
President Bush left for Baghdad on an unannounced five-hour trip designed to boost the government of new Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki and allow the two leaders to get to know each other face-to-face.

The president departed Andrews Air Force Base after secretly traveling by helicopter from Camp David, where he was in the middle of a two-day Iraq summit with members of his cabinet and senior military officials. He was accompanied by senior aides like National Security Advisor Stephen Hadley, Chief of Staff Josh Bolten, White House counselor Dan Bartlett, Deputy Chief of Staff Joe Hagan and White House spokesman Tony Snow.

Presidential counselor Dan Bartlett told reporters aboard Air Force One that the trip was planned over the past month by a small group of six White House he described as a "very, very close circle of people." He said that Mr. Bush had wanted to come to Iraq as soon as the final positions in Mr. Maliki's government - the ministers of Defense and Interior – were chosen. Had those posts been filled sooner, Mr. Bush would have made the trip several months earlier, Mr. Bartlett said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This trip marks Bush's second visit to Iraq since the War began. Though statements were made which indicate that the impetus for this trip was the finalization of Mr. Maliki's government, one must wonder whether the US Administration chose to defer another visit until an insurgency vacuum period was created in the wake of the death of Zarqawi.

Related ATS Links:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 13/6/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Potus!
Shades of Masked Avatar!!!

I think its a stupid move, but hey, i'm glad to see him risking his life. He risks the lives of our men and women every day....Let him RISK his. This little mission is of course nothing more than a giant leap toward photo ops. I wont lose any sleep over him being there. Neither will most of us.
Whoever suggested it, may have dibs on the presidency himself. Hmmm....

Good luck to the Potus.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Though statements were made which indicate that the impetus for this trip was the finalization of Mr. Maliki's government, one must wonder whether the US Administration chose to defer another visit until an insurgency vacuum period was created in the wake of the death of Zarqawi.

Very doubtful, but if they did choose to take advantage of the vacuum, what's wrong with that?

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Since when could you fly from the US to Iraq in 5 hours? Isn't that an eleven hour flight? Mistakes like that make the whole thing seem invalid to me.

Oh well, I am glad he decided to waste fuel on such a trip. Well back to selling blood for gas so I can get to work...

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   
The flight time is not five hours. The planned meetings will last five hours.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Considering the great deal of time this trip takes, I do believe the POTUS thinks it is more than just a photoop. I hope he gets something worthwhile from it.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
This is the kind of things that any U.S. President has to do. Every President has traveled, and some are defined by their travels (Nixon's trip to China come to mind).

To read anything into it, other than support for an Iraqi government in it's infancy seems short sighted.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The trip has got to be a huge vote of confidence and a prestige-builder for the new PM of Iraq. The PM didn't even know of the trip until 5 minutes before Bush arrived.

This should silence the Murtha followers who want to cut and run from Iraq. The new PM now knows that GWB calls the shots, not John Murtha.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
This should silence the Murtha followers who want to cut and run from Iraq. The new PM now knows that GWB calls the shots, not John Murtha.

Ahh. It takes a personal appearance from GWB to assert that. The Iraqi PM actually thought Murtha was in charge until George knocked on his office's door

No, this doesn't silence the Murtha "followers", as you put it.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
Ahh. It takes a personal appearance from GWB to assert that. The Iraqi PM actually thought Murtha was in charge until George knocked on his office's door

No, this doesn't silence the Murtha "followers", as you put it.

That really is silly. I personally had no idea that Murtha was known by the Iraqi people as the man in charge. I always thought it was the man that sat in the Oval Office. Boy, I have been hoodwinked yet again. I didn't even see Murtha on my ballot last time I voted for president.

Murtha and his followers... so sad. Let's just drive that wedge a little bit deeper between an already divided country, eh? Since the right is right, and the left is wrong. More time is spent between these warring parties, than getting anything done. When was it ever said that Murtha and his "followers" were calling shots???

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Murtha has already announced that he plans to be the new Speaker of the House after the November elections.

And his call for cut and run have been widely reported. Even Kerry said that we can bring the troops home by year's end, now that Zarqawi is dead.

new topics

top topics

join