It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions on the speed of light.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I have a question regarding the speed of light.Im not an expert just someone who is interested in physics. If as Einstein theorised, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light then how is the following possible.Is this just bogus information/site.

www.electrogravityphysics.com...

SCIENTISTS claim they have broken the ultimate speed barrier:
the speed of light. In research carried out in the United States,
particle physicists have shown that light pulses can be accelerated
to up to 300 times their normal velocity of 186,000 miles per second.
The implications, like the speed, are mind-boggling. On one
interpretation it means that light will arrive at its destination almost
before it has started its journey. In effect, it is leaping forward in
time.

Another query i have is what speed does electricity travel at, doesnt it travel also at the speed of light. Where does the speed of gravity fit into Einsteins special relativity. Please dont jump all over me for asking a stupid question if it is one, like i said i'm no expert i just would like to have these questions explained in laymans terms, most of the sites that ive googled are way over my head.

thanks in advance for any answers.

Cheers
M4S

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Electricity "can" go as fast as light, but in the applications we use it in actualy moves rather slow.
This because your dealing with free electrons moving trough solid conductors that are alread filled with electrons.

Its like trying to shove 1 specific water molecule trough a waterhose thats already filled with water. Before you ever get that one molecule you put in at one end comes out the other end, a whole bunch of other molecules already came out.

Then, as they stated in the article, the light arrives before it even left, which implies that instead of going faster then the speed of light, they must have warped space/time.

Which doesn't contradict Einstein at all but actualy confirms the theory of Relativity.

Time, Space, speed of light, its all relative depending on all the factors.

The speed of light is constant but if you warp the time/space this light travels trough, it goes faster for the outside observer yet doesn't really go faster relative to the space and time its located in.

Relativity is prone to giving people headaches, but once you understand how simple it really is, its actualy alot of fun.

[edit on 13/6/06 by thematrix]

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Google the difference between group and phase velocities, I think that will help you out.

Special relativity is straightforward mathematically...general relativity is not straightforward mathematically, and I would never call GR simple.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 05:52 AM
link   
You are all smarter than me about those speed of light things. But I'm wondering what if their discovery was due to the measuring equipment they were using. That sensitive electron microscope mentioned in the article, let's say the particle travel so fast from one point to the other before that microscope has time to flip to the next clock cycle, so the hardware get confused and report the light as arriving before it left? Just my unenlightened 2 cents.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Heres a really simplistic representation of what I said :p

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale
I have a question regarding the speed of light.Im not an expert just someone who is interested in physics. If as Einstein theorised, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light then how is the following possible.Is this just bogus information/site.

www.electrogravityphysics.com...

Even Einstein admitted that his theories did not explain everything -- and since his death some 60 years ago, there's been heaps and heaps of research done on this. There were a number of theoretical models being kicked around (which ran up against the scientific "oh yeah? Well, it's cute but can you PROVE that idea?" fence) and it looks as though someone may have proved their theory.

It's an important and exciting find IF it can be verified. Now that they've done it, they have to get others to repeat the experiment and come up with the same measures (or close to them.)

Another query i have is what speed does electricity travel at, doesnt it travel also at the speed of light.

Depends on what it's traveling through.

Where does the speed of gravity fit into Einsteins special relativity.

Einstein never addressed it.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
Electricity "can" go as fast as light, but in the applications we use it in actualy moves rather slow.
This because your dealing with free electrons moving trough solid conductors that are alread filled with electrons.

Thanks for all the replies, if as you say above electricity can travel at the speed of light (in a vacuum?) doesnt this then point out that perhaps there are things out there that are able to go faster than c. If mass increases as you near the speed of c would this be the reason space/time is warped? Does the mass of electrons increase if they travel at c?
Thanks for the links, guess ill have a bit of reading to do. Perhaps a thread of Physics for dummies would help me out lol.

Cheers Byrd i always appreciate your input.

M4S

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ufia
You are all smarter than me about those speed of light things. But I'm wondering what if their discovery was due to the measuring equipment they were using. That sensitive electron microscope mentioned in the article, let's say the particle travel so fast from one point to the other before that microscope has time to flip to the next clock cycle, so the hardware get confused and report the light as arriving before it left? Just my unenlightened 2 cents.

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but the speed of light can be derived from Maxwell's equations. Special relativity was sitting within the Maxwell's equations, and Einstein absolutely loved electromagnetic theory, so that's where he came up with his postulates.

top topics

join