It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plane Questions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
If a secret SR71 replacement exists then:

I don't know much about planes and so on but I have some quite difficult questions:
1)What would be a rough cruising altitude, I assume the faster it goes the higher it can cruise?
2)How long would it take to reach this altitude?
3)If such a plane was to fly to say, China or Russia, would you go over the pole (N/S) or around the equator(E/W)? Is there any advantage to following/not following rotation of the earth?
4)I assume the plane would need to be refuelled, did the SR-71 refuel in flight?

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Questions #1 & #2 are open to speculation, especially whether or not a Mother-ship is used, which is one arrangement that has been suggested.
For #3, It is reported it flies E/W, with headings coming out from the Pacific over California before turning north to Nevada, as well as launching from England and crossing over Europe, starting with Belguim. I haven't heard of any N/S flights yet.
As for #4, Yes, the SR-71 refueled in flight. Since it used a special fuel, dedicated tankers were made, designated KC-135Q. The Blackbird were the only aircraft that could be refueled by them. Refueling in the air was nessesary, since the fuel tanks leaked on the ground. The SR-71 would take off with just enough fuel, fly at high speed to heat and expand the skin and seal the tanks, then drop back drop to subsonic speed to top off it's tanks, which were almost empty. The tankers played a vital role to the success of the SR-71.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TSR2005
As for #4, Yes, the SR-71 refueled in flight. Since it used a special fuel, dedicated tankers were made, designated KC-135Q. The Blackbird were the only aircraft that could be refueled by them. Refueling in the air was nessesary, since the fuel tanks leaked on the ground. The SR-71 would take off with just enough fuel, fly at high speed to heat and expand the skin and seal the tanks, then drop back drop to subsonic speed to top off it's tanks, which were almost empty. The tankers played a vital role to the success of the SR-71.

JP-7 was special fuel?

Here I thought it was refined Kerosene with a highger octane.

The SR-71 is refueled mid-air atleast twice during a flight.(Expensive to maintain)

The altitude requirements would be open to speculation dependent on what the Air Force actually needs it to do.

As for the route the plane would take, when you're flying that high that fast, a direct route is normally the best route, since turning takes a couple hundred miles to complete. If not, I would think the planes would follow the jetstream to save fuel and gain a better wind.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Thanks guys, another question I have is:
When you break the sound barrier you create a sonic boom, when you hit twice the speed of sound is another boom created?

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   
JP-7 was a special fuel, developed by Shell specifically to run with the Blackbird's J-58. According to Ben Rich, they needed a fuel that would not boil.
It's known for having a high flashpoint and needed a special igniter to light it, called TEB. If you watch footage of the Blackbird's engines starting, especially from the nozzle, there's a green flash from the TEB.
The KC-135Q not only carried the JP-7, but also cools it, allowing the fuel to be as a coolant circulating though the plane.

As Far as the Sound Barrier, no, a second sonic boom is not created. There are two sonic booms to begin with, one from the front of the plane, one from the back. But after that, there's no extra sonic booms. Even though the Space Shuttle travels at Mach 25 on it's way down, it only creates two sonic booms. Once you go past the Sound Barrier, the rest is just numbers, or heat.

[edit on 12-6-2006 by TSR2005]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedopeness
Thanks guys, another question I have is:
When you break the sound barrier you create a sonic boom, when you hit twice the speed of sound is another boom created?

Nope, only that initial breaking of the sound barrier.

When get throw a bucket of water over your head once and do it again, do you get wet twice?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I have heard it is possible to see the contrail of this secret aircraft from weather satellites, has anyone else heard of this? I saw an image once but have no idea where it was. Is this even possible?

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 10:13 PM
link   
If you can see the contrail from the ground, then there would be no problem seeing it from space. However, if the fuel is like the B-2's and does not leave high altitude vapor trails, odds are no, they won't be seen.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 11:41 PM
link   
newbie here..first reply and i'd like to say thx to the site.i've been reading here every day for close to a year.first question,i've been watching the whole chemtrail thing since introduced to it here and i've also got into the habit of watching them while walking.Around 2 weeks ago i happened to see an airplane(?) that had 4 wings.The front two were swept back and close to the same length as the rear two.The plane was total white in color.Hence the subject title,it looked like a flying anchor.I was on the shoreline (eastern canada) watching it come in over the sea towards land.Hard to tell actual size but it seemed the same size as a jetliner.I know with no pics i'm taking a shot in the dark,but any ideas?.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   
On the subject of Jet fuels:

www.chevron.com...

www.airbp.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

That may clear up some misconceptions.

new topics

top topics

join