It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Found A Silver Cylinder With A Message In Arabic?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Hi folks, AD is in fact correct it is a mezzuzah. The writing is hebrew. There are a few different (regional) stylings of writing hebrew.

I may be a practicing pagan but I still remember enough hebrew school to know a memsopheet when I see one.

Links that'll explain and give examples of the mezzuzah:

www.beingjewish.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.jewfaq.org...

Mazeltov on your find by the way.

Spiderj

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I found this one on Google Images.

I think this is the translation.

A Translation of the Text in the Mezuzah
"Hear O Israel, G-d our Lord is G-d the Only One
You shall love G-d with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your power. These words which I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them to your children and you shall speak about them when you dwell in your house, when you travel on the road, when you lie down and when you arise. You shall tie them as a sign on your arm and as a head ornament between your eyes. you shall inscribe them on the doorposts of your home and your gates.

And it shall happen, if you obey my commandments which I command you today, to love G-d within all your hearts and all your souls that I will give the rains of the land in its proper time, the light rains and the heavy rains, and you will gather your grain, your wine and your oil. I will give grass in your fields for your livestock. You will have enough to eat and you will be satisfied. Guard yourselves, lest your hearts lead you astray and you will serve other gods and you will bow to them. G-d will then become angry with you and will withhold the rain, and the land will not produce its bounty. You will quickly be lost from upon the good land that G-d has granted you. You shall place these words on your hearts and on your souls. You shall tie them as a sign on your arms and they shall be head ornaments between your eyes, and you shall teach them to your children to speak about them when you dwell in your house, when you travel on the road, when you lie down and when you arise. You shall inscribe them on the doorpost of your houses and your gates. So that you and your children may live many years on the land that G-d has promised to your forefathers, as many as the days that the heavens are above the earth."
www.mezuzahdoctor.com...

[edit on 12/6/2006 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Thats supposed to be attached to a doorway and upon entering the house you are supposed to touch it if Im not mistaken. Many Jewish houselholds have this on their doorway. Thats why there are the screwholes on each end.

Pie

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I've read the links that you have given to me .
My husband and I are not Jewish but I would like to put this on the wall outside of my front door.
Would this be wrong for me to do?
Also, which way is the right side up?

The gold letters are not centered, they are closer to one end.

As you can read in my other posts , we have been having some strange things happening in our home ever since we moved in 2 years ago.

I feel that nothing is a coincidence.

It was meant that we have this religeous article.
Advice anyone?

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   
judaism.about.com...

Blessing on Affixing a Mezuzah

Before affixing a mezuzah to a doorpost, the following blessing is recited:

Barukh ata Adonai Eloheinu Melekh ha-olam, asher kidshanu b'mitzvotav v'tzivanu likbo-a mezuzah.

Blessed are You, Adonai our God, Ruler of the universe, Who sanctifies us with holy commandments and commands us to fix a mezuzah.

The blessing is only recited once (usually on the front door) for all the mezuzot in the house . After reciting the blessing, no words are spoken until all mezozot are hung throughout the house.

The mezuzah is placed in the following way:

* on the right doorpost as one enters the room.
* at the bottom of the upper third of the doorpost (shoulder height).
* in a slightly slanted position so that the top points toward the inside of the room.

In reading up on this subject I've found many rules that go along with the Mezuzah.
Do some reading before you place it, and treat it with the respect it deserves.

It's a beautiful find, I hope it brings you a long life and protection for all members of your home.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   
anxietydisorder

I want to thank you for the time you have spent on researching this for me.

I will definitely research this before I put it on the door.

You have been so much help to me.
Thank you again...

[edit on 14-6-2006 by MagicaRose]

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I love a good mystery like this, and it's been a great learning experience for me.
I knew very little about the Jewish Faith and their traditions before you posted this, so I want to thank you as well. I come to this web site to learn and you've facilitated that.

Thanx
anx.........

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Another member found one of these once. THey are jewish prayer scrolls, usually they are put above a person's door. Maybe the light was a porch light? Or near a bedroom?

I think its called a "mezuzah". If you want it disposed off, the jews prefer that it be brought to a synagouge where they will dispose of it. The text should be two paragraphs from the torah/old testament, possibly a section called the " Sh'ma " which has '"...place them on the doorposts...". in it.

Here is the older thread where it popped up for someone else
www.belowtopsecret.com...

He said that there were weird happenings associated with it, but other sources familiar with the thing say that its got nothing to do with anything like that.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 02:14 AM
link   
^ lol, we did kinda cover this already in the thread.

That's a really great find, MagicaRose! Consider yourself lucky!

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Katy Bar The Mitzvah!

Originally posted by MagicaRose
My husband and I are not Jewish but I would like to put this on the wall outside of my front door.
Would this be wrong for me to do?

Well of course you're free to do what you want with your own house!

Whether your home will be blessed as a result is impossible to predict, but as the old saying goes...

Couldn't hoit!

P.S. There are no coincidences.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 08:10 AM
link   
PLACING THIS SCROLL ABOVE YOUR DOORWAY COULD HAVE DEVASTATING EFFECTS ON YOUR FAMILY.

My Cousins dad is a rabbi and he says that non jewish families with prayer scrolls above their doorways invite SATAN into their household to FEAST upon their newborn babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT DO IT UNLESS YOU ARE A FRIEND OF SATAN!!!

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by nephyx
My Cousins dad is a rabbi and he says that non jewish families with prayer scrolls above their doorways invite SATAN into their household to FEAST upon their newborn babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT DO IT UNLESS YOU ARE A FRIEND OF SATAN!!!

I know it's BTS but I just want to make sure...you're kidding right?

Satan is different in christianity than judiasm. In judiasm, Satan means adversary literally, not a fallen angel who will try and corrupt your soul but every day events that need to be overcome for the betterment of yourself, family and community.

Jews also do not believe in hell but rather a purgatory where some funky soul cleansing goes on before ascending to heaven.

From those kooky kids at jews for judaism...which sounds a little redundant but hey:

QUESTION: Do Jews believe in Heaven and Hell?

ANSWER: Although the Jewish Bible appears to focus primarily on our life and behavior in this world, Judaism definitely believes in Heaven and life after death. The plural form in Genesis 1:26, "Let us form man in our image," indicates that man has a dual nature -- a spiritual soul and a physical body. This is clearly seen in Genesis 2:7, "G-d formed man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath (soul--) of life and man became a living being."

When a person dies the physical body returns to the earth, but the spiritual soul lives on eternally, as it says, "The dust will return to the earth, as it was, and the spirit will return to G-d who gave it." (Ecclesiastes 12:7)

We do not believe in eternal damnation and hell. The Jewish belief is in a purgatory that purifies the soul of its spiritual blemishes prior to its return to G-d. (Psalm 49:15, II Samuel 14:13, Isaiah 45:17)

For a more thorough description of heaven and life after death, see "If You Were G-d" in the suggested reading list.

QUESTION: Do Jews believe in Satan?

ANSWER: In Christian belief, Satan is a fallen angel that has freedom of choice and rebels against G-d. Judaism's view is very different. Isaiah 45:7 and Deuteronomy 13 show that G-d created the temptation to do evil to test our loyalty. That is why the word (Satan--) in Hebrew literally means an adversary (Numbers 22:22) that comes to challenge us. Our mission is to overcome these temptations and do what is correct. The Torah (Genesis 4:7) teaches that this mission is within our ability to fulfill.

www.jewsforjudaism.org...

Kosherwiki:
en.wikipedia.org...

Now I'll admit that I am not a religious scholar but I do not recall any sect of the jewish faith believing in eternal damnation, Satan as portrayed in the new testament, original sin or really anything else that sucks the fun out of sunday morning brunch at kanters.

What sect of judaism is this man a rabbi in, I would very much like to know.

Nothing bad will happen if you hang a mezzuzah on your door, like everybody else God is simply happy to see that somebody is paying attention...though my concept of god is pretty odd, but hey personal religion is the wave of the future.

No satan to mess with you, everything is cool.

Spiderj

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder

Could the original document posted by MagicaRose be upside down ???

[edit on 12/6/2006 by anxietydisorder]

not really a good translastion,
first ones alif then baa then taa and so forth
i read aribic (some)

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   
since i cant edit the top
just an extra
its read right to left not left to right

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Satan With A Yarmulke

Anyone who would say such a thing has no business being a rabbi.

Feel free to pass that along to the "rabbi".

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Rabbis are always right. Do not hang such scrolls over your doorway, it will have the reverse effect of goats blood being smeared on your doorway to protect you.. instead what this will do is attract evil forces to your home who will play with your personal parts while you sleep!

CX

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Nice find, although i was rather hoping it was a genie!

CX.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   

My Cousins dad is a rabbi and he says that non jewish families with prayer scrolls above their doorways invite SATAN into their household to FEAST upon their newborn babies

Yeah ok

Firstly, in jewish mythology, satan doesn't eath babies. Satan isn't even 'evil', he's just an angel who's function in god's government is to be cheif prosecutor of Israel. Non-jews have nothing to do with imaginary jewish demons. The 'baby hurting' demon in some jewish folktales is called Lilith, which is also the name of a goddess amoung the other semitic peoples. Supposedly, according to some jewish traditions, she was the first eve, left eden, and is a bad demon who hurts children. But, also supposedly, if you have a trinket with the name of three angels on it, then lilith is magically powerless.

Rabbis are always right

Thats utterly absurd and patently wrong.

instead what this will do is attract evil forces to your home who will play with your personal parts while you sleep

Wait, and this is a bad thing?

You are, in all likelyhood, confusing what the rabbi told you. Satan does none of this, and in most types of judaism, satan isn't really even the leader of 'evil angels'. Lilith is the one that messes with people, and plays the role of an 'incubus and succubus', similar to european folklore.

For what its worth, these kinds of silly superstitions are what lead people to burn witches, or even kill babies that they beleived had been replaced by 'changelings', etc.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I'm sure ATS has Jewish members, and I had hoped that someone with experience would reply to this thread. Is there a Rabbi in the house ???

"My cousin's dad is a Rabbi", like nephyx said, just doesn't cut it with me. I always refer to my cousin's dad as my uncle.
And if my "personal parts" are going to be played with, I want to be awake for it.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Hey A.D.,

If you look up a few posts to my last entry (I was raised jewish) I quote from both jews for judiasm and wikipedia JFJ site is very complete and they are a well respected group amongst all religions...not just judaism.

I believe also Majic and Nygdan know what they are talking about and while Nygdan's explanation is a bit different than mine about Satan's role in jewish mythology both are agreed on the point that Satan in judaism is completely different than Satan in christrianity.

I am 100% positive that it is okay to hang a mezzuzah on your door even if you are not jewish.

SPiderj

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join