posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 03:20 PM
Till quite recently the Independent was quite a good newspaper. I would notice at work (where they have many papers) that the Independent would often
cover interesting stories that no other paper would (or would at least give barely a mention too).
However recently something started to go wrong where any unusual stuff was usually reserved for the front pages. Now even that’s started to
Here’s the “news” titles of the Independent on Saturday June 10th…
1. “England Expects” front page about sport
2. Page 2 and 3: “Over here and overexcited: the English and a league of nations” (more about sport)
3. Page 3 far right “Tiny band of Paraguyans who plan a, big party” (about if England beat Paraguay)
4. Page 4 “World Cup fever in Frankfurt as fans fly the flag”
5. Page 5 “Fancy a spin on the M25? Try 2pm today” (about how the M25 will be empty during the game, what else you can do in the way of Sport,
Food, See, and Do when the game is on).
6. Page 6 (advertisement) “Match the Body Part, and Win A Case of Bubbly”
7. Page 7 (Dell advertisement)
Finally!!! None Sport
8. Page 8 “Boy, 15, murdered in street fight is latest victim of knife culture” (hay its stories like that you read the Sun for).
9. Page 9 (lots of stories)
“Thames Water applies for drought order”
“Isle of Wight festival a sell-out”
“Muslim protest over London raid”
“Richard and Judy win tax battle”
“Ross signs £18m deal with BBC”
“Pensioner died after trolley fall”
“Beggar can keep diamond ring”
10. Page 10 “Olmert rejects Abbas plan to boost negations” (something to do with Israeli politics)
“Palestinian killed on Gaza beach by Israeli gunboats” (I saw that on the BBC along with probably most of the country).
11. Page 11 “Celebrities criticised as cost of right to roam law hits £59 million” (P.S did you know the government spends over 420 billion
pounds on all services every year?) (thought I would give that to add perspective to this story)
12. Pages 12 and 13: “Summertime’s Travel Tribes” (summer travel advice) (hay you could get out the country and leave the Independent Newspaper
behind with you).
13. Page 14: “Deborah Orr The football widow for our times is the sole fan in a house full of men” (Wow!!!)
14. Page 15: “Britain’s most likely: the young actors set for stardom”
P.S On Sunday the independent had the title of “What a Scorcher”. When a so called intellectual newspaper puts a summers hot day on its front
page you know something is terribly wrong.
Does this subject belongs under the mind control section? Why has a once grand paper which used to run front page headlines such as “The News You
might Have Missed” which was mostly world news you really might have missed as it was at the time of Charles and Camilla’s wedding become so
Has some special interest group bought an influence into the paper?
Are they planning on sacking any staff?
Why has the independent (which was one of Britain’s last remaining topic and discussion starters become such a waist of trees? I used to think the
Daily Mail was the countries biggest selling toilet paper but now I think I’ve found a new one. Don’t forget that like all newspapers the
Independent would mostly have been written on a Friday and not Saturday (when the game-distraction thing was on).
So has anyone else noticed the de-brainification of the Independent or is it just me?