It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Ring Tone Can't Be Heard By Adults

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I think that this is just a new way to sell ringtones.

I also think that, knowing that a cell phone is limited in its capability of reproducing all the sounds by the way they are compressed and sent over the radio waves, the speakers of the cell phones may not be capable of producing a sound with a high enough frequency.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth

Originally posted by ANOK
This is BS, most people don't loose that much high end hearing due to age.

I am 42 and I had no trouble hearing that tone, and I have lost hearing from my military days (loud jets everyday), and playing guitar in loud bands...

I think ur missing the point somewhat... this isn't abut hearing loss as in 'hard of hearing', but the natural tendancy to loose hearing in the upper frequency spectrum as time goes by. 20khz down to 16khz or 12khz sounds like a lot, but it isn't. 10khz is around d#9... thats pretty high! The next octave up (d#10) is 20khz, and that VERy high

Here is the octave of d#9 to d#10... as I said, this is from around 10khz tp 20khz, and fair play if u can hear every not in the octave, but I'm in my early 20s and already the last few notes are beyond my hearing threshold heh

www.yousendit.com...

Children have little problem hearing all the way up to 20khz... but it isn't a pleasant sensation, its very annpying and borderline painful, so I can see it as being quote an effective deterrent :p

How many tones are there in this sample? I was able to hear 8 total, and I'm 35...

[edit on 6/15/2006 by yadboy]

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The whole topic is pointless. Let's say you can hear your phone ringing but your teacher can't. She can still see you using the thing and when you start talking 10 times louder than necessary (Like people often do with phones) she'll know your on your phone unless she's completely deaf. I agree that this is just a marketing scheme with no real effect on how you use your phone.

[edit on 15-6-2006 by dbates]

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The whole point of this ring tone is that a phone set with the ring volume on low the student can hear a "TEXT" message comeing in, but the teacher can't.

The students are not picking up the phone and starting a conversation about what to do after school, just looking at the incomeing text.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join