It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palestine in Conflict!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I am hearing just now, there are internal problems arising within the Palestinian Territories and the Government and Hamas are seemingly going at it. Ceasing Parliment/Government Buildings and rampant shootings taking place on the streets.

Just a heads up, and maybe some of our Mid East Contributors could offer their insights on this in better detail.

I know CNN and Headline News, will only give spin, but this was just the flash that came accross a few minutes ago.

Ciao

Shane

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   
From what I am finding, today's news, is resulting from the situation within the Palestinian Territories themselves.

www.middle-east-online.com...

Hamas MPs to challenge referendum

Palestinian rockets fired towards Israel overnight after death of eight Palestinians on beach in Gaza.

By Hossam Ezzedine - RAMALLAH, West Bank

Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas's right to stage a referendum on coexistence with Israel was facing a fierce challenge Monday from deputies in the Hamas-dominated parliament.

MPs were to gather for an emergency debate on what would be the first ever Palestinian referendum, called for July 26 by Abbas in a move that prompted accusations by the governing Islamists of Hamas that he was engineering a coup.

So, are they on the Brink of slaughtering themselves?

news.bbc.co.uk...

Palestinian heads clash over vote

The PM talks of the "dangers" of the president's plan Rival Palestinian leaders have failed to resolve their differences over a controversial planned referendum. Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas met Prime Minister Ismail Haniya late on Saturday to discuss the poll, which Mr Abbas has called for 26 July.

Palestinians will vote on a statehood plan that implicitly recognises Israel, whose right to exist Hamas rejects.

After the talks Mr Abbas restated his commitment to a vote and Mr Haniya said it would endanger Palestinian unity.

On Saturday, leading Hamas official Mushir al-Masri denounced the proposed referendum as nothing short of a "a declaration of a coup against the [Hamas-led] government".

This seems very volitile.

On Headline News, "This Just In" Segement notes

"Palestinaisn Security forces are on High Alert after Palestinian Authority and Hamas led forces clashed on the streets. Several are dead, but nothing further is known."

Now back to Alberto!!!

Ciao

Shane

Ciao

Shane

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
BBC has an Update now as shown below.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Palestinian PM office set on fire

Gunmen loyal to Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas have set fire to the offices of the Hamas prime minister and parliament in Ramallah. Security personnel and militiamen fired shots before rampaging the offices in protest at earlier clashes in Gaza.

Meanwhile, Hamas MP Khalil Rabei has been kidnapped in the West Bank city.
Hamas and Mr Abbas's Fatah factions have been involved in a power struggle since the Palestinian elections in January, which were won by Hamas.

Heavy damage

The Ramallah rampage erupted hours after Hamas gunmen attacked a building belonging to the Fatah-dominated Preventive Security agency in Rafah in the Gaza Strip.

Correspondents say security forces took to the streets with gunmen from Fatah offshoot the al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades.

Gunmen shot out the windows of the Palestinian parliament and stormed the cabinet offices, smashing furniture and computers.

The office was unoccupied as Ismail Haniya is based in the Gaza Strip.

It is not clear if there have been any casualties, but the buildings reportedly suffered heavy damage.

Militants tried to prevent fire engines from reaching the site to extinguish the flames.

"Every time they touch one of ours in Gaza, we will get 10 of theirs in the West Bank," a member of the security service said, quoted by the Associated Press news agency.

Funeral clash

Tensions have worsened between the two sides since Mr Abbas called a referendum on a statehood plan which would implicitly recognise Israel, whose right to exist Hamas rejects.

At least 20 people, mostly militia members, have been killed in clashes between the two factions in the past two months.

Earlier on Monday a Hamas gunman was killed in a clash with security forces loyal to Fatah in Rafah.

The man was shot dead during a funeral for a fellow militant in Rafah. Each side blamed the other for firing first.

In addition to the clash at the funeral in Rafah, eyewitnesses say Hamas gunmen fired rocket-propelled grenades and anti-tank rockets at a security headquarters.

Is it no wonder, there is no Peace in the Middle East? These nuts can't even stand eachother. A sad, sad tale.

Ciao

Shane

[edit on 12-6-2006 by Shane]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
if they keep this up they wont even get to keep the gaza strip..there will be noone left to live in it. im so glad i dont live in a place where things like this happen all the time

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   
It's a power struggle between Hamas and Fatah, and it's only going to get more violent unless UN interferes. Interference from Israel in Gaza will not sit well with the Palestinians and will be even worse.

Fatah proved to be too corrupted under Arafat, and Abbas is no better. From the millions of dollars transphered to the Palestinians, only small fractions if anything make its way to the people- the rest were distributed to government officials or armed factions. Now the Palestinians chose Hamas- the lesser of the two evils. At least Hamas is not as corrupted and cares somewhat about the wellbeing of the people. Fatah is not ready to relinquish its control that they had for decades, and with Israel and much of the world supporting it is resisting Hamas take over.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
The reason for the antagonism is financial.

Already impoverished the Palestinians now face an internation aide blockade by America.

And at the same time Israel is stealing their tax money.

Government employees have not been paid in months, and the aide that so many displaced people need for existance has been cut off.

Not to mention daily shelling by the IDF...

Imagine what your community would look like after that.

Place the blame where it belongs; on Israel and America.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Place the blame where it is.

People shooting at each other....That are palestians on palestians.

When people kill each other in the USA we don't blame Palestine.

If the USA does not want to give aid to the Palestinians they do not have to.

I think Israel holding back the taxes is cheesy, and they should give the money to the palestinians.

But let me repeat the USA Europe or any country does not have to give aid if it doesn't like a government. Stop your Bit#@hing if you want handouts. The palestians elected a government (which is there right) But don't expect everyone to like it.

How many people hate George Bush? Lots....... How many don't like Hamas? Lots.

People want to complain about Bush. And people can complain about Hamas.

I will give Hamas credit in no being as corrupt as fatah with foreign aid.

America gets blames every freaking time for everything.

Look in a mirror and take responsibility for once!

When your computer crashes I bet you blame the USA.

Lame.

Nah,Earth is a big American conspiracy.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   

If the USA does not want to give aid to the Palestinians they do not have to.

Its a whole lot more than that.

ALL Aide is being blocked.

n an interview with the BBC Arabic Service, he said the Arab League had been given the names of 160,000 unpaid government employees.

He said the league had been unable to use donated monies to pay their wages because of the Israeli occupation.

Palestinian PM makes plea for aid

There are plenty of other sources here: www.google.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I am surprised why the rich Middle East nations offer so little help to the Palestinians. Iran did give it about $10 million ( I am not sure how much exactly) to form a politic alliance. Egypt is primarily sending in weapons through the border- which only escalates the problem. In Lebanon Palestinian refugees have no rights and live in dismal condition, despite the help that could have been offered to them by neighboring Syria and Jordan. It seems that Islamic countries want there to be instability between Israel and Pelestine, because that would fuel some Palestinians' ambitions to destroy Israel- since that is what most Middle Eastern states want even if not officially.

Out of everyone in the world, Muslim states should be giving the most aid to Palestinians, not Europe and U.S.

And I think Abbas and Fatah are the main reason why all aid is being blocked now as claimed, not Israel. Instability in Gaza now gives good credit to Fatah because under them it was more stable. I even heard a theory that recent attacks on Israes were in reality carried out by Fatah to further fuel instability- increasing their chances of coming back to power. However Hamas' troubles are also good for Israel, so it probably has some hand in the conflict.

[edit on 12-6-2006 by maloy]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malichai

Its a whole lot more than that.

There are plenty of other sources here: www.google.com...

Hey Malichai

I was under the impression THIS SITUATION is stemming from the plans Abbas has to make peace with Israel based on a referendum seeing if Coexistance would be the future path of Palestine.

Not Money.

The Reports are noting it is HAMAS's refusal to allow this to proceed.

Anyways, have a good day Malichai

I am also shocked by some suggesting the benelovent nature of HAMAS. This is exaclty like suggesting Hitler was good for Germany. Sure the ignorant masses elected both, but I have never noticed the redeeming qualities of Terrorists sitting on my side of the Keyboard. That could just be me though

Ciao

Shane

top topics

join